iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

custom sawing $$$

Started by rlm, October 12, 2008, 09:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlm

Mornin' Boys.  In the morning I'll be meeting w/ a guy to talk about sawing #1 & #2 cherry sawlogs into 4/4 at his site.  Maybe 100+ logs.  I've always sawed by the hour: $50/ hr. I'll be stickin and stackin.  What's a reasonable $$$ to saw by the bf?  The customer wants me to saw for .30/.

ellmoe

Unless they are really nice (productive) logs or he is providing labor I'd want at least $.35. Sticking and stacking will cut down on your sawing time.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forum RLM.  You'll find lots of info here.

The price for custom sawing depends on the area you're sawing.

Most of us around this area get $150.00/1000 bf (15¢/bf).
If you saw for what your customer requests, you're making exactly double of what we get here in this area.

You'll see here on FF that there are those who wouldn't even move their mill for that.

You need to ring in on people from your area to get a better idea of what to charge.
Note:  Hardwood takes a little longer to cut than softwood, so you have to take that into consideration too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_van

If I did the math right, .30/ft  if you saw 166 bf per hour, your getting your 50.00.  The hourly rate is easier, you don't have to do any tally at the end.  You can't really let the customer dictate the rate can you?  I charge .35/ft, never had a complaint. That I heard.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Larry

A 100+ cherry logs is a lot of 4/4 cherry lumber.  I would suspect this guy is going to re-sell at least some of the lumber.  A sawyer that truly knows grading rules and how to grade saw can make this guy money...lotsa of money.  A sawyer that only know how to make a board is gonna cost the guy money.  If you have the knowledge to grade saw I would try a little salesmanship to up the ante.  I never, ever based my sawing charges on what the rest of the crowd charges.             
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum. 

As you're asking how much to charge,  I assume you're new to the custom sawing business. 

If that's the case,  I wouldn't worry too much about how much you charge.  Go with the 30 cents and keep track of your time and effort and see if you made a satisfactory return.  If you feel like you shorted yourself, keep it to yourself and consider that education.

If you're just starting out,  it's worth far more to do the best job you can and try to keep your customer happy.  Most of have found that the best advertizing is word of mouth.  That is, if the word is good. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

backwoods sawyer

Just remember that you are providing a service for him, you set your rate and he will either take it or leave it.

I charge $0.30 board food for softwood dry stacked near the mill, and $60.00 an hour for hardwoods. I also charge $60.00 an hour for any thing else whether it be trimming logs, moving logs, stacking and stickering, worming cows, moving lumber, cutting stickers, ect.

Is he providing stickers or dose he expect you to cut them out of the logs? Cutting stickers takes time.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Tom Sawyer

I charge $95/hr for custom sawing.  This gives incentive to the customer to make sure that the logs are bucked, trimmed and stacked up.  I am willing to stack and sticker their lumber, but my hourly rate is the same.  I wouldn't do the cherry for less than $.40/bft.  That is more than fair given the value of the lumber.

That's my $.02 (or .76 minutes) worth ;D

Bodger

One thing to consider is: if you are cutting the deal on the basis of 100+ logs, I would make sure to see the logs first...alot of these 100+ deals are based on alot of "ifs"  One of the first things to learn in the custom saw business is to tell the prospects from the suspects.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

arj

I charge .40cents stacked and stickered. I`ve had no complaints, or lost jobs.
Heard as much .60 cents, don`t know how much work they get at that price.
                                       arj

peterduncan

We charge $500/day ( 7 hour day of sawing...1/2 set up 1/2 take down) $18 resharp charge after 3 blades and $48 for a broken blade due to customers nails, etc. Hardwood...softwood...medium wood...all the same

Cedarman

When your customer said 100+ logs, a picture jumped into your mind of a big stack of nice big, long, straight cherry logs.  Go look at them first before making any kind of decision.  That picture in your mind may get radically altered or it might be just like you imagined. The more you know the better your decisions.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: peterduncan on October 13, 2008, 06:00:05 AM
We charge $500/day ( 7 hour day of sawing...1/2 set up 1/2 take down) $18 resharp charge after 3 blades and $48 for a broken blade due to customers nails, etc. Hardwood...softwood...medium wood...all the same

Hey Peter, what kind of mill do you have and what blades do you use that cost $48?  What do you do when a customer only has 3 hours of cutting?  Is $500 your minimum charge?  Just curious ;D ;D

Tom

timberfaller390

I've been sawing at 37 cents a b/f , thats roughly 3 dollars for a 2x6x8 and they bring the logs to me. It doesn't matter what you charge as long as they can't get it cheaper somewhere else, and cheaper elsewhere doesn't matter as long as you are better
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

SeeSaw

Welcome to the Forum.  My question would be is he providing the support equipment and operator for getting the logs to the mill, moving the cut boards etc.? IMHO, if you have to supply a tractor or skid steer or manually move the logs to the mill I would not do it for .30 BF.  If he is supplying the support equipment and running it then you would not have to spend your time doing that and .30 bf would be ok.  If not,  then I would stick to your hourly rate because you'll find that you will lose in the end if you have to do all of the other grunt work that goes with custom sawing.  Just my 2 c.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

DR Buck

My 35¢ per bd foot doesn't include stickering and stacking.   In fact it doesn't include off bearing boards.   ;D   That's the customers job.

You don't mention what kind of mill you have?  ???   Is it a band mill or something else?   Do you have hydraulics?   If this guys wants them stacked and stickered for 30¢, he probably wants you to do all the handling as well.   Is he providing the stickers?  Like others asked, what do the logs look like?   In my area you're looking at  a minimum $75 to $100 per hour for doing everything. 

Go look at the job first!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR Buck

Quote from: Cedarman on October 13, 2008, 06:08:01 AM
When your customer said 100+ logs, a picture jumped into your mind of a big stack of nice big, long, straight cherry logs.  Go look at them first before making any kind of decision.  That picture in your mind may get radically altered or it might be just like you imagined. The more you know the better your decisions.

You speak like someone that has traveled that road.    ;) ;D ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

backwoods sawyer

Those 100+ cherry logs could look like these 100+ cherry logs.

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

brdmkr

Ouch!  I hope not.

I had a customer who wanted me to saw some 'nice' pine logs.  I told him I would do it and THEN I saw the logs.  There wasn't a log that went 9" on the small end.  That is NO FUN with a swing mill.  Still, I cut the logs, made a friend, and got called back to saw some really nice logs.  The latter job was my largest to date.  However, that first batch of logs was only maybe 10 - 12 logs.  So, I would definitely say to go look first.  Still, it is hard to tell how a 'bad job' may turn out.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

rlm

Gentlemen!!! Thanks for the great information.  I have an LT 40 Hydraulic.  Most of the logs are 14"+.  Mostly #1 & #2 sawlogs.  I'll be bucking and moving the logs with his equipment for $40/ hr.  He'll be providing the blades, resharp and gas.  Again, Thanks!!!

Cedarman

Rim, research always pays off.  Let us know how the job goes, both the good and bad.
Happy sawing. 8) 8)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

backwoods sawyer

Sounds like the two of you done a little negotiating, and came up with something that will work for both of you. No fuel cost, no blade cost, at a slightly lower hourly rate, plus you get a little extra time bucking and moving logs.

Sounds like a win-win situation.

Thank You Sponsors!