iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dutch Ovens!

Started by zopi, October 13, 2008, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Any of you folks cooking in iron? I've been bitten by the cast iron bug lately...made some pretty good beef BBQ in a DO
buried in hot coals out back...good stuff!

I'm wanting to acquire a bigger oven that I can cook prime rib in salt crust...MMMMMMM! BEEFY!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

I once got a set of cast iron cookware. I built a small "cabin" out in the woods and stayed in it for a few days on christmas. I used a pan and a pot. I'll say the bacon was the best I'd ever tasted - of course the only kind I'd ever has was the pre-packaged thin stuff - this was real bacon. I used the pot to boil water to drink. I also tried boiling cedar needles and twigs down for the oil. It worked, but a pot full boiled down to almost nothing. But it smelled good!

I've always enjoyed woodsman activity now and then. By the way, has anyone heard of an old book called "Woodcraft" by Bernard S. Mason I think. that's the most useful and informative book about living in the woods and wood craft I've ever read!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I just joined The Ancient Ones.It's like a living history group in the 1700-1850 era.We went to an outing just this past weekend.Lots of dutch oven and cast iron cooking there.I have a lot to learn too.There's a fellow on RFD TV that does a lot of this kind of cooking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

zopi

Been to IDOS...neat stuff.

We just got back from the camping trip..I hung out Friday night all day yesterday and this morning just cooking for folks...a large portion of the girl scout parents followed me around like baby ducks..and my camp kitchen was the talk of the place...looks like I'm elected to feed about four troops next year...I told them I wanted a new apron "Iron Chef Dutch Oven.."

I'd never cooked in one before this weekend, other than over a fire..never used it as an oven as it were..this weekend, I made mountain man breakfast, scratch biscuits, gravy, posole, trail beans,
fried cornbread, senate bean soup and dutch cobbler..and probably   the best beef BBQ I have ever made.

and I slept in an old Army shelter half tent...snug little thing...and dirt cheap.

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

underdog

http://www.cowboyflavor.com/
http://www.campfirecafetv.com/Recipes/RecipePage.html
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/wood-grill.html

Glad you found you nitch in life.
You will always be the hit of the event as long as you pack in everything they need ;D

zopi

Oh no, Cookie doesn't carry the grub...I'd be willing to bet the service group will line up to make themselves useful next year...they seemed to note that in spare moments I make snacks for myself...homemade chips and salsa for instance. <GRIN>

I am kind of thinking about building myself a little chuck wagon...something along the lines of
a boy scout patrol box, but with wheels..and patterned after the chuckwagon...maybe on one of those small sized running gear...then I can hitch up the scouts and move out...

>And those caissons go rolling along!<
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bd354

Zopi, just ordered a dutch oven a couple days ago. i have quite a bit of cast iron, the usual pots, skillets, oval pans ect. i've been wanting to try the do cooking so i decided to take the plunge. i like cooking outside and cast iron is the best way imo. been all over the idos site and like what i saw. i've already built a steel table to cook on so i'm just waiting for the do to get here.

zopi

cool! check this one out..

http://camp-cook.com/forum/index.php?sid=55c0a0556c9f63a4bd0eb6bda0251c94

I luvs my cast iron!

getyourself a couple of old blades from a big disk harrow, weld up the hole, weld on four (!)
legs and use for a DO table...keeps the wind off the coals some, and if you want to fry fish in camp while you are roasting the potaoes in the DO, you scrub out the disk add some oil and put the coals
in under the disk...instant fish fryer...or wok or whatever...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bd354

yeah, i've seen some cookers made like that. i plan to make a swing grill similar to that. it will also be used for do cooking.

WildDog

Quotegetyourself a couple of old blades from a big disk harrow, weld up the hole, weld on four (!)
legs and use for a DO table...keeps the wind off the coals some, and if you want to fry fish in camp while you are roasting the potaoes in the DO, you scrub out the disk add some oil and put the coals
in under the disk...instant fish fryer...or wok or whatever...

I have had one of these BBQs for years and made a few for mates, I put 3 legs on mine with 1/2in nuts welded to the Disc so the legs screw in and with different size bolts i can raise and lower the plate.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

pappy19

You can get 2 really nice DO wind covers from a 33 gallon barrel. Legs can also be added. I have had one for years. I'll try a take a photo one of these days.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!