iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum...

Started by sawcollector, October 12, 2008, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawcollector

Howdy folks, new guy here.
I am an avid collector of any and all one man saws. Current count is over 100.
STIHL is my favorite, and what I use to cut with, but I enjoy collecting and restoring the old saws that led to the development of what we have today. I had my own shop repairing any small engine equipment in OK back in the '80s and had to work on anything that came in the door just to feed the family, so now I enjoy getting some of those old piece of junk saws that were so prevalent then just to look at and remember what it was like then, but not to use! When it is time to cut I will grab the newest STIHL that fits the job: easy to start up, anti-vibe, chain brake, fast cutting, and more fun!
I look forward to getting to know some of you, and I have a little bit of experience fixing this stuff so hopefully I can provide a little bit of help from time to time.
I got tired of the AS blah blah blah and it looks like this forum stays on track a lot better, so keep up the good work!
Eddie

sawcollector

Figured out the picture thing, so here are a few of the saws in the collection:

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

I, too, like the Stihl saws. 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rocky_J

Hey Eddie, always nice to see somebody 'graduate' from AS. I was one of the first 100 or so members, joined 4 months after Darin brought it online. It's not the same forum today, unfortunately. A huge number of skilled and experienced treemen have been banned from there in the last several years for stupid little rule infractions, or for speaking out against the stupid rules. Most others left on their own. Mostly just a bunch of newbies and wanna-bees over there now.

Several good forums on the 'net, all with a slightly different flavor. Forestry Forum is mostly people associated with sawmills and milling, although Jeff always keeps the welcome mat out for anybody and everybody. The atmosphere here is always polite and friendly (Jeff sees to that).

Looks like a nice collection of saws there. Too bad you've limited it to only one brand. There's a few good Huskys and Jonsereds out there as well.  ;) ;D

Tom

welcome to the forum, Eddie.  We try to be as polite as possible and keep it a family site so that the youngsters can visit too, if they want.   Now and again, we get off topic too. We just don't let it bother us as much as some other folks do  :D

Somehow, we always manage to get back around to the subject at hand.  ;D

tyb525

Welcome to the forestry forum, from one Stihl fan to another.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sawmilllawyer

Welcome, pull up a stump, fellow Stihl fan here. Wow!  what a collection. Andy.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

sawguy21

Welcome aboard Eddie, grab a coffee and have a seat. I too found this place after getting tired of other forums ;).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Banjo picker

Hello there Sawcollecter I bought my first stihl last year....a little bitty feller to take camping in the horse trailer...Has a roller that tightens the chain....I liked it so much that the bigger husky stayed at the house and I cut my firewood with it although it was really too small for that....greetings....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LorenB

Quote from: sawcollector on October 12, 2008, 09:22:51 PM
Howdy folks, new guy here.

STIHL is my favorite,

Eddie

Hi, Eddie,

I WOULD welcome you to the forum, but that would be a bit presumptuous, since I am only ahead of you on posts with a score of my 4 to your 2, as of now.  It may turn out that you type faster than I do and pass me within a day or two. 

So, when it comes to chain saws, STIHL is STILL your favorite.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)  (And that's how I pronounce "Stihl".  I took German for years, and I'm not very fluent but I can at least remember how to pronounce German words.) 

I was encouraged to join FF by Tammy at Logrite Tools.  She told me that the members get a better welcome and that people are more polite here than at other sites.  I agree with that assessment.  I'm glad to be here; I hope you are too. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Cut4fun

Quote from: sawcollector on October 12, 2008, 09:22:51 PM
I got tired of the AS blah blah blah!
Eddie

Boy you got that right, like a bunch of kindergarten kids there.
I dont think I have posted over there since Feb 08 and refuse to. All these other sites I hang out on are alot better  without all the BS and brand feuding and bashing. :D
Enjoy  8)

Al_Smith

Indeed welcome Mr Collector . Lots of good info here ,a little professional and little from casual users but it's all good .

I too was a oft times poster on the site you mentioned .It changed over the years and resembles nothing of its' former self . Whatever reason does no matter it just happened .

Not a big deal because several sites have sprung up that are more specific in different areas of interest than perhaps that praticular one could ever hope to be in spite of the owners ideas or dilussions of grandure .Enough on that .

As Rocky said this site has a lot on sawmilling etc which along with the saws is an interest to me .It's all good and welcome once again . ;D

Dave Shepard

From the FAQ section at stihlusa.com :

How do you pronounce the name STIHL?
Our name is pronounced exactly like the metal "steel."

I know in some vernaculars it has become "still", either way, they are "still" great saws. ;) ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawcollector

Wow, what a nice welcome!
RockyJ I like STIHL best cause I think they are the best, but I have lots of other brands as well.
I have about 15 to 20 Macs, about 10 Poulans, plus a few Craftsman versions, about 10 Homelites, and a scattering of odds and ends like an O&R, 4 David Bradley gear drives that I plan to make one good runner out of, a Mono, and old Ram, and others.
I recognize several of you guys from AS and Magnus Collector's site. I use Stihl #1 over there but wanted a new handle for a new start here.
Banjo, you aren't the first person that has told me a STIHL caused them to quit using something else. I will be the first to admit that Husky and Echo and several others make some good saws, but I think STIHL gets it right more consistently than any one else and really does try to make a good product and satisfy the customer as much as can be done within reason.
I used to work on every brand and model out there to make a living and feed the family, and an awful lot of it was junk then and is now too, so it is buyer beware. I started collecting so I could have examples of some of that old stuff I used to work on, both good and bad, just to look at and talk about, but then full blown CAD (Chainsaw Addiction or Acquisition Disease) set in and there is no cure in sight...

thecfarm

sawcollector,welcome to the forum.Here's a shot of a few saws on display at a Fair I went to a few weeks back.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rocky_J

Quote from: sawcollector on October 13, 2008, 08:44:36 PM
... but then full blown CAD (Chainsaw Addiction or Acquisition Disease) set in and there is no cure in sight...

Haahaahaa!  :D smiley_roller

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Tom on October 12, 2008, 10:20:15 PM
Somehow, we always manage to get back around to the subject at hand.  ;D

Now, Tom, you know that sooner or later we always get the all-importent topic: FOOD!!!

BTW, Eddie, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

joe_indi

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 13, 2008, 06:15:07 PM
From the FAQ section at stihlusa.com :

How do you pronounce the name STIHL?
Our name is pronounced exactly like the metal "steel."

I know in some vernaculars it has become "still", either way, they are "still" great saws. ;) ;D

The way I understood from the visiting Stihl engineer it was a bit different:
"You say 'steel' with zee hot potato stuck on the back of zee tongue so that a nearly silent 'h' makes its presence felt.
:D :D
Joe

LorenB

I once asked a guy from Puerto Rico whether it was pronounced "Porto Rico" or "Pu-er-to Rico".  He gave me the correct answer.  He said, "It depends on where you are." 

In Puerto Rico, it's "Pu-er-to Rico".  In America, it's "Porto Rico". 

That's true with Stihl too.  In America, I guess it's "steel".  In Germany, it's "schtill". 

To get the long E, Germans use an "IE", as in "BIER", which is pronounced "beer".  I don't know of any way to write a German word that would be pronouced "steel", because in German if you start a word with "ST" it is pronouced "SCHT".  The German spelling "STIEL" would be close.  It would be pronounced "schteel". 

Having said all that, I will be the first to state that I am not a German.  If we have any native German speakers in the Forum, maybe they will enlighten us. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Al_Smith

Well I'm part German if that accounts for anything  .

I worked with a bunch of German techs  and engineers for about two years installing an automotive assembly line .I even learned to cuss in German and taught them some words they had never heard before  .

I also found something very interstesting in conversation about  Stihl products ,they   do not  use them ,too expensive ,funny though because a few owned Husqvarnas  . :D

Kinda sounds like Americans driving Hondas and Toyotas doesn't it . It wasn't the intial cost that annoyed most of them but the outragous price for repair parts and the fact that Stihl keeps a tight hand on who can sell them . I thought it spoke volumes .

Just so ya know though I have about 8-10 Stihls that I own  just to show there is no hard feelings . ;)

John Mc

Not a German, but I did take the language in college, and spent a summer working in Frankfurt, Germany (where the boss told every one to only speak German to me, since he knew I was trying to learn the language better). Like the US, there are regional variation in speech. For example, in some parts of the country "Ich" (the german word for "I") sounds almost like a short "I" (as in "it") followed by a "ch" that sounds a little like clearing your throat (or getting ready to spit... but not quite that exaggerated). In other areas, it sounds like "Ish".

I would have pronounced Stihl as "Shteehl", not quite the Scht Loren described, but then maybe that's a function of what part of the country I spent most of my time in. Long "e" sound. The "nearly silent h" Joe described is a great description. American English doesn't have anything close that I can think of. (Maybe that's why Stihl just describes itself as "steel")

When in doubt, I'd guess that the Stihl web site Dave mentioned is the authority... it is their company after all. They can pronounce it "carrot" if they want.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawcollector

I had the pleasure of meeting Hans Peter Stihl and in the course of conversation he was asked how to say it and his response was "steel" so I guess I will just go with that.
In case anyone cares to know, all STIHL equipment has a 2 letter designator that is based on the German word that describes what the unit is:

German Equipment Names

MS = Motorsäge                        Chain Saw
HT=  Hoch-Entaster               Pole Pruner

FS = Freischneider                      Line Trimmer
FC=  Kantenschneider             Edge Trimmer

BG = Blasgerät                         Handheld Blower
BR=  Blasgerät Rückentragbar      Backpack Blower

SH=  Saug Häcksler                       Shredder Vac/Blower

SR=  Sprühgerät, rückentragbar     Backpack Sprayer

TS = Trennschleifer                     Cut Off Machine

BT=  Bohrgerät                         Earth Auger

HL=  Heckenschere, lang          Extended Length Hedge Trimmer

HS=  Heckenschere                     Hedge Trimmer

MM=  Multi Motor                     STIHL YARD BOSS®

KM=  Kombi Motor                       Multi Task Powerhead

KB=  Kehrbürste                      Bristle Brush Attachment

KW=  Kehrwalze                        STIHL PowerSweep™   

So I was talking with some German folks the other day and they were trying to help me with the right way to say some of these words. I am originally from Texas and it ain't gonna happen! I just can't do German... They were rolling on the floor over my attempts!

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the list sawcollector, that's a neat reference. :)

The other thing to remember is that Stihl is a persons name, so it could be pronounced any old way they feel like it. :D

When I first visited the Stihl website years ago, the front page made a big deal about how it was pronounced, and then mumbled something about chainsaws in fine print at the bottom. I guess it's been bothering them for a few decades now. ;D

Dave

LorenB

Quote from: sawcollector on October 15, 2008, 07:15:13 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Hans Peter Stihl and in the course of conversation he was asked how to say it and his response was "steel" so I guess I will just go with that.

I would say that this pretty much settles the matter.  I'll change my ways and go with the flow from now on.  "Steel" it is. 

Loren
Loren

Thank You Sponsors!