iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Cabin by Woodhenge

Started by Bibbyman, July 01, 2003, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary and I delivered some walnut to Woodhenge timber frame in Jefferson City this afternoon.  This walnut will go into making stair blasters in a cabin being built west of Jefferson City.  

Click on picture for more pictures.  ;)

We got an invitation to tour the cabin and see how the walnut was put to use that we had sawn out a couple of months ago.  I remembered to take my camera along and get some pictures.

Some pictures around Woodhenge Timber Frame.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Furby

THAT is way cool! I would love one of those up at the lake. How big was that cabin? I saw some OSB ??? I guess they are going to cover it with something ??? But why, if they went to all the trouble for the other small details, why not use T&G boards or something cool looking? ??? ??? ???

Bibbyman

I think it was about 26 x 40.  The OSB is part of the pre-fabricated panels that are built next door to Woodhinge. I think the outside is going to be sided in ERC.

BTW,  The come out of Cruse Hardwoods in Jerome,
Michigan.
Sawing since '94

Patty

The workmanship in the cabin is amazing! I especially like the staircase. Hickory and walnut make a very nice contrast. Did they design  the cabin themselves, or is there a set of plans they are following?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Furby

I'll second that, Patty!
26x40, wow, it don't look that big from the outside. Do you know what they will use on the inside walls?

Bibbyman

In the conversation with Jerry Nevins,  he mentioned an architect involved.  But I'm sure most all the detail of the timber frame came from Jerry.  He's been in this business for quite a number of years.

I don't know if they said what they were going to use on the inside walls.  I suspect not wood if Jerry got his way.  He likes the timber frame to stand out.

Woodhenge Timber Frame
Sawing since '94

Wade

Wow!
 That's exactly what I'm going to do. ;D ;D Just as soon as I
get some land and more trees and money. :D :D Actually I am going to timber frame a drying shed. I have most of the roofing boards and a few posts cut. It will be about 32'x 16' with hammerbeams on both ends. I'm using white oak. I was thinking about using walnut for all the knee braces but since it will not be closed in do you think this is a good idea? There will be 18" overhangs. I hope to start by the end of summer. If it goes well I am going start cutting for a house. 8) Nice pictures Bibby. Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

Bibbyman

The choice of walnut for the knee braces was purely that of the owner.  I think Jerry would have preferred to build everything out of oak.  The stair tread are of hickory as is that center post in one of the peaks – I forget the name of that structural feature.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Jerry sent me some pictures of the raising of the "bents" and such.  I tacked them onto the same web-page I have of some of the other shots.

Click on picture to get to page of pictures.

Sawing since '94

Furby

NOW I can see that it looks a little bigger!
 Looks like a real fast way of putting up the frame work. I bet that crane is a BIG help! And here I would have done it piece by piece! ;D

Bibbyman

We did a good bit of business with Woodhenge in the summer of 2003 but for some reason, we hadn't had any business with them again until this summer.  They called to order a walnut mantel of large size.  Said it could also be of hickory.   We had one nice walnut log and one nice hickory log that would make the dimensions they asked for so we sawed them out one of each.  They were so pleased, they bought both. 

When we delivered the mantels, we found out that Jerry's son Derek had bought out the business and Jerry now worked for his son.  Jerry was happier working with wood than with the business side.

That business reintroduced us to Woodhenge and we soon got an order for 25 6x8 oak beams 16' long. 

Last week the called back and ordered 5 more 6x8 beams.  When Mary delivered them,  she was shown a staircase Derek had built for a home show in Branson, Mo.  It featured posts made from some of the left over walnut we had sawn for the mantels. 

Today Derek called back to order about 20 more assorted oak structure parts.  While I had him on the phone I asked if he could send me a picture of the post top detail Mary had seen.

I love the grain on un-steamed walnut.  I don't know why anyone would want to make it darker than nature intended.

Derek didn't send me a photo of the complete staircase.  But from how Mary went on about it, it was something to see.

Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Here are a couple more pictures of the display Woodhenge had at the Branson, Mo home show.
Sawing since '94

saddletramp

Horses dont git broke.Cowboys do.

jpgreen

Thanks for the story Bibbyman.. 8)

It's just amazing how those timber frames are built.  I don't think I have the patients..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Bibbyman

Derek Nevins of WoodHenge e-mailed me this link to his customer's web site where he has photos of the frame going up. 

There are hundreds of pictures - enjoy!  8)

WoodHenge timber frame construction slide show

We only supplied some 30 6x8s by 16' when there was a change of plans.  The majority of the beams come from "some were else".

Sawing since '94

wudhed

Hey Bibby, thanks for posting the link I hope everybody enjoys the pics. Its a really neat site!
Proudly building quality timberframes since 1981!

Don P

Welcome to the forum Derek, very nice work and nice pictures. Keep em coming  :)

wudhed

Thanks Don! I have always got plenty of pictures, we have been working out on site so I have been kinda busy, but I will start posting some more!

Don P

The one with the the peg damage in the forehead was real impressive  :o I guess it was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not by much  :D

wudhed

That was me! I was holding a ladder for one of the guys while he was driving a peg and it snapped I tried to stop it with my forehead! :D

Jim_Rogers

I hope you were wearing safety glasses at the time....?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Loghead

Thats not how you got you name wud hed is it? :) :)
I know not funny hope it heals fast!
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

wudhed

safety glasses.........um yeah!! :) nope i was wudhed waaaaay before that! I think it has something to do with my personality! :) then you could get more specific and call me ironwud hed!

Bibbyman

In the past couple of years I've spent a too much time in the dentist's chair.  But I've had a lot of time to visit with the dentist.   I once asked him if he went home in the evening and built model ships in a bottle.  He said, No way!  When he gets home doing something with detail is the last thing he wanted to do.  He said he like to go out and split firewood.   I think that's a pretty understandable attitude.

But Jerry Nevins – founder of WoodHenge – must love to build timber frames.  The other night he sent me this picture of a 1" to 1' scale model of a barn frame he built.  The model is 30" X 40", so it would be 30' X 40' in real life. The posts, rafters and most beams are 3/4' X 3/4", purlins are 1/2" X 1/2". Knee braces are 1/4" X 3/4". The aisle beams are 3/4" wide X 1" deep. He said it was a blast to build.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Mary and I were on our way by WoodHenge today so we stopped in a minute and visited with Derek (WodHed).  We got to see the model frame his dad made.  It's amazing how strong and tight it is!  The pegs are tooth picks but many joints are just slip fit.

They were working on some front porch posts and headers made from ERC we had supplied. The whole assembly was being pre-cut and fitted with joints, etc.  I told them I could take my chain saw and have them up in an hour.  They didn't take me up on my offer. 

I didn't have my camera along but Derek did say he had his web site redone it was much better with more and better pictures.

I've paged through the picture gallery and recognize some of the wood from our mill.

WoodHenge Timberframes
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!