iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a straight Elm board, mission impossible?

Started by Celeriac, October 12, 2008, 12:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeriac

Another volunteer has been bringing me some logs that came from a project area at our church camp.  Three of them were white Elm.  After cutting them and seeing the results I'd like to know if it is possible to cut a straight board out of this stuff? 

It didn't seem to matter if it was face sawn or quarter sawn, either way it warped away from the core of the tree as I cut.  6" of bow in 12 feet is something :o, makes Hickory look tame and mild mannered.  What am I missing when it comes to sawing this stuff other than cutting it for blocking? 
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Kansas

I dont know how many elm species there are, but I think it varies a lot across species, and to some extent, individual trees. We have had good luck sawing an occasional red elm, along with siberian elm. We have had good luck at times with what I would call white elm. On the other hand, we cut what a logger told us was grey elm-dont know what kind it really was, but it got up and walked away from the mill on its own. Twisted, bowed, curled, warped, you name it, it did it. I think if its going to warp or whatever, you arent going to stop it. If quartersawing it cant stop it, dont think anything will work.

mike_van

I've found small dia. logs under 10" or so to be the worst in most hardwoods. Softwoods, you just don't see it as bad if at all.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

What Kansas said.  Good trees make good sawlogs which make good lumber.  A leaner or even a tree with heavier limbs on one side is gonna be a problem.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tyb525

I've cut (slabbed) two red elms. They were both dead standing, with the bark falling off, but not rotten. One was about 14" diameter and 8' long, the other about 18" diameter and 12' long.

The smaller one was the one I sawed first. It did ok, but the board with the pith in it cupped terribly, which I expected.
When I stacked the boards, I didn't put much weight on top.

The bigger one produced some beautiful, wide slabs with real nice wavy grain. They were surprisingly straight, I couldn't see any warp, cup, or twist.
When I stacked these slabs, I took some big chunks up firewood rounds (50+ pounds) and put them on top, in line with the stickers. I covered the stack with a tarp.
That was about 4 weeks ago.
I checked them 2 days ago, and they are still nice and flat. I'm gonna have them kiln dried sometime, and try to make some natural-edge tables and stuff.

I haven't cut any other kind of elm, so I don't know what other kinds are like.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Sounds like you may have had a bunch of limb wood unloaded on your operation to. I've had elm sawed and it was so nice the sawyer decided to keep it all.  ::) Sorry to be a smart elic, but I never did see it again. Except, on the way out of the yard I had a glance into his saw shed and seen it stacked and stickered. To tell you the truth, I don't think he could differentiate it from red oak.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Celeriac

The logs in question are probably American Elm, locally referred to as "pi** elm", probably due to the odor of the sawn lumber.  Certainly not limb wood, one was 18" on the butt end, no curve or sizable knots.  The logs had been setting a while so I thought might be contributing to the warp.  I haven't cut any Red Elm yet but I understand it's much more stable.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."

WDH

The elms have spiral grain where the cell orientation spirals around the bole at a slant rather than line up in a vertical plane.  That will always make it a difficult species to process.  Around here there is no market for it except for pallets. 

There is a good reason that we want to grow oak, yellow poplar, walnut, and cherry.  These species are not nearly as difficult to process and utilize as the elms, hackberry, sweetgum,sycamore, and blackgum.  That spiral or interlocked grain is a real problem.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Toolman

I cut an American Elm off my property a couple years ago. About a week later, all of the boards looked like airplane propellers. I had them stacked, stickered and banded and still ended up with a mess. I turned them into firewood. Burns nice and hot!! I recently cut another one. This time, I ended up with an 18x18 cant. I rolled it off mill and have it sitting in shed for future use. Maybe in 5 yrs or so, I'll cut it and see what the boards will do. It seems better used as firewood than boards though.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

SwampDonkey

Well I believe the alternative explanation that WDH gave concerning the grain has a lot to do with it. I neglected to mention it even though in the back of my mind I was thinking it. ;D On another note I have white elm veneer paneling in my living room walls.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Remember when pickups had wood beds,they used elm for its toughness.Its harder to cut but set the logs up onblocks and let them work out their fustrations 6months or even a year.Green elm will do a half gainer on the carrage wile you cut it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Forgot to add if-en your in a big hurry cut a cant and set it aside a wile, month or so,recut and just accept your losses.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Some of it will dry straight, but it is a crap shoot as to which logs will do well and which ones will misbehave.  The big hackberry (elm family) that I sawed misbehaved :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

i seen some wood turners this weekend that liked the american elm for projects on the lathe. with that interlocked grain it really looks nice. my boy got a small top from those guys and it was pretty as far as grain orientation.

Celeriac

I expected the spiral grain would be the cause.  One of my old tree books mentions American Elm as being the preferred material for wagon wheel hubs.  Sounds like it would be a good candidate for end grain wood block floors?  Cut 4"x6, then dice them up.  Just thinking... ???
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."

Larry

Quote from: Celeriac on October 13, 2008, 04:14:20 PM
One of my old tree books mentions American Elm as being the preferred material for wagon wheel hubs.

To improve seed germination behind some of the old grain drills we pulled an implement called a cultipacker.  I've seen a few that had wood bushings...somewhere I heard they were made of elm.  I think John Deere sold elm bushings as late as maybe the 80's but they were quite high priced.  I've made several elm bushings for cultipackers and other equipment...don't think it is a going market anymore. :D :D

I sawed some 6/4 this past spring.  It's came off the saw pretty good but I've noticed its moving in my stickered stack some...and it's down about 800 board foot from the top.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

beenthere

Quote from: Larry on October 13, 2008, 04:56:58 PM
........ I've seen a few that had wood bushings...somewhere I heard they were made of elm.  I think John Deere sold elm bushings as late as maybe the 80's but they were quite high priced.  I've made several elm bushings for cultipackers and other equipment...don't think it is a going market anymore. :D :D

I'd vote for hard maple as the bearing wood. :) :) I was aware once of how many car loads of maple bearing stock arrived in Waterloo, IA each month (or some short period of time) just to be made into bearings for ag equipment. When the Japanese were buying up all the hard maple (70's ??) for bowling alleys, Deere was looking into alternative woods for bearings. (this was info from personal contact with Deere Co.). Recently, when stocking parts at a local Deere dealer, I put some maple bearing blocks in stock too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

One of the reasons American Elm was popular for bearing stock and wagon wheel hubs was that the interlocked grain makes it very tough... it does not want to split at all (as you probably know if you've ever tried to split some with a maul or wedges).

One of my favorite stories was when a friend of mine was up for a visit. He's 225 pounds of solid muscle (even though it's been a few decades since his stint as a Marine). By comparison, I'm a 170 pound weekend warrior. I was splitting some hardwoods by hand and eventually got pretty pooped out.

When I took a break, he said "Here, let me try!" I asked if he'd ever split wood before. "Not much... a bit when I was a kid." I set him up with some 8" Elm, and let him go at it for about 40 minutes (can you say "drive that wedge all the way to the bottom of the log and it still won't come apart?") After I'd tried to hide my chuckles, I set myself up with some 10" White Ash, and started whacking away (one swing, and it's in two pieces).

I really played it up with him for a while: "Oh, here... I've got the good maul. Try this one." "Try a swing like this". Finally, when he was thoroughly pi$$ed off, I gave him one more "pointer" and slipped in a White Ash for him. BLAM! It flew into two pieces and the maul stuck deep in my in my chopping block. I could barely keep a straight face as I congratulated him on finally "getting it". After a few more seconds I finally cracked and he knew he'd been had.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tyb525

It's great for burning - But I wouldn't dare try splitting it by hand! It's hard enough to split it with a hydraulic splitter, even when its seasoned.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

My cousin darn near ruined dad's tractor mounted hydraulic wood splinter on elm firewood.  >:(

On another note, elm was used up here in horse stalls. Horses like to tread in their stall, as you know, and elm held up to the wear. At one time huge white elm was abundant around here on the landscape until someone introduced Dutch elm disease.  ::) The grain is beautiful in my opinion and turns nice bowls. I'll never take is off my living room walls.  8)

Larry

Maple...learned something new. :P  Thanks for correcting me, beenthere.

Faron

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

John Mc

Quote from: Faron on October 14, 2008, 07:18:53 AM
John Mc,  :D :D :D :D  I liked that. 

Yeah, I had fun with it. The fact that we had an audience (including a couple of attractive young ladies) made it even better. After we knocked off, and got a couple of beers in him, even he thought it was funny.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Toolman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 14, 2008, 06:35:58 AM
My cousin darn near ruined dad's tractor mounted hydraulic wood splinter on elm firewood.  >:(

On another note, elm was used up here in horse stalls. Horses like to tread in their stall, as you know, and elm held up to the wear. At one time huge white elm was abundant around here on the landscape until someone introduced Dutch elm disease.  ::) The grain is beautiful in my opinion and turns nice bowls. I'll never take is off my living room walls.  8)
[/quote

In my earlier post when I said I cut a couple elm off my property with bandmill, I also cut 9 more down, all due to dutch elm disease. My neighbor had 17 die in 2 years! Most of the elm died off in our neighborhood in a span of 2-3 yrs. Dutch elm is the only thing we can figure killed them. About 8 yrs. ago, we had a drought in our area and the following year the elm started dying off.  I am still burning elm from all of these trees. They are a monster to split, even with a 22 ton log splitter. I consider it next to locust, the best wood for heating. Nice blue flame, little ash. Now, the oaks in our area are starting to mysteriously die off. It's getting scary. If the ash borer hits next, that's gonna really devastate my woodlot. I hope nothing attacks my hickory trees or my hilltop is going to look bald.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!