iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A note about political threads and topics.

Started by Jeff, October 09, 2008, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A note about political threads and topics.

This is becoming a weighty problem for myself as well as the other administrators.  I don't like the political threads on the forum, but I realize that many (or a few) feel the need to discuss these things amongst our peers. The problem here is that we are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this. This is an election year like no other we have ever had so these topics are on everyone's minds.

We have tired (Freudian slip) "tried" to keep this line of conversation confined to just a couple threads on the general board, however we have had some messages and notes concerned that the Forestry Forum has turned political.  Just a couple threads out of nearly 30,000 topics has caused more then one person, that we really care about, to say that they feel the forum has turned political.  Well, the Forestry Forum is NOT political, I can assure you. Some of its members may be, but the forum itself is not.

We get notes and messages and emails not happy with us no matter what we do. By allowing these threads, we are apparently allowing the possible alienation of some of our members. When we step in and try to tone them down, we get little notes, and communications from others, for censoring and disrupting someones freedom of speech. We think most of you know us better then that.  Well folks, we're weary of this sort of thing. So here is our plan. We will continue on as usual until this election is over.  We will then give the threads in question two more weeks to hopefully run their course.  After that time, they will be moved to the Full Members board, in which you must be registered and logged in and have a specific number of posts to get to, where they will eventually be locked.  During this time those threads will be monitored and moderated as they have been to date.

Our policy, as admins, will then be that there will be no more threads of this nature allowed, unless first granted permission to post. Tentatively, two or three months leading into the next presidential election, we may make a decision to have another area of temporary discussion for those that wish to participate in political topics.  If and when we do that, it will be in a more private area of the Forestry Forum. We want one's first impressions of the Forestry Forum to be positive and political discussions ain't usually that.   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

I think you're being quite liberal actually. Even though I am one of the participants in the political threads it would not bother me if you just flat out banned political threads altogether immediately.

After all, as you say it *is* a forestry forum and to say "no more political threads" is well within your right. Not second guessing your decision here, just saying I think y'all are being more tolerant than I would be in your shoes.

You can't be more accomodating than what you are being and if anyone gripes about it, they won't be happy no matter what you do.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

Bravo!  The admins are a wise bunch of folks  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Gary_C

Sounds like a good plan to me.  8)

For me, the only reason for the political threads to exist is learn how people in other areas feel about the issues and candidates. I do not expect to change anyones beliefs or convince them to vote the same way I might. Trying to sell someone on views is where these threads go wrong.

It's all about learning something, not about persuasion. And along that line, I would be very surprised if both candidates staff had NOT found this thread and are monitoring it for the pulse of the people.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Warbird

Jeff, you guys do a great job.  Thanks.

Personally, I can't wait for this election season to be over.  It is difficult for everyone to remain positive in all of this, no matter their views.

tcsmpsi

Well, I'm so peeved about the decision, I think I'll go work on one of my damaged roofs.   :D    ;)

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Bro. Noble

Well,  I've pretty much kept out of the discussions because I realized early on that I don't know enough about what is going on to make intelligent posts.  I think the thread has been very beneficial,  however,  in informing some of us of the issues.  I've learned who to listen to over the years as some of you post good advice and opinions and only post when you know what you're talking about.  Others I've learned to just skip their posts whether it's on politics or forestry or sawmilling, or whatever.  I also think that these posts have demonstrated for the most part the patience ,  good humor,  and tolerance of both our administrators and members. 

Remember this forum is like sitting around the stove talking with friends.  Most of the conversations these days sooner or later turn to politics and often become heated.  Some of the participants are well informed and think for themselves,  some aren't,  but the old general store and the pot bellied stove will probably still be there tomorrow. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Texas Ranger

Right on, Bro Noble, and Jeff, and admins, and, aw, DanG, all y'all.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DR Buck

A very wise and welcomed plan.   I'm 100% behind your decision.  :) 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

dewwood

Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Bibbyman

I staid out of this topic for at least a couple of weeks when it first appeared.  But, as you know,  I couldn't keep from putting my two cents in – then a few dollars more!

I get to where I'm a political junky come election season.  I do a lot of reading and watching and talking trying to make sense out of it all.  I hope some of my posts have brought some issues to light even if the reader didn't agree with them.  For example, some have posted that they had never heard of ACORN.  They've been active in the past three presidential election cycles.  It's just been recently that they have been under some scrutiny by the press.

In my readings,  I come across a lot of articles with blogs attached to them.  You think WE have issues?  Some of these people are down right ... well, insane?, ugly?, ... anyway,  not rational no matter what side they are bashing or defending.   I've been tempted to reply.  But it would do no good for me or anyone else.

There has been a lot of thought and work done by a number of Forum members to collect all this information and even opinions.  I don't know how many other people read it besides the dozen or so that have made posts.  I don't know if the topic will have any effect on the election other than therapeutic release for us folks that post.  I suspect most of us were predestine to vote one way or the other in any case – even if we didn't know it a year ago.

I got to go deliver some oak.   move_it
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

old joe

I've been reading with interest all of the "political posts" on this forum.  While many posts were informative, some were alittle too strong for my taste.  I'm glad our admins are taking the steps they have announced.  I value this forum.  Ive learned here and feel as if I know a bunch of you. It's sad when family fights.
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Ernie

This anecdote just about sums up my considered opinion of the vast bulk of politicians anywhere in God's great earth.

The Post turtle

While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75 year old rancher, whose hand was caught in the gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually the topic got around to one of the political candidates.

The old rancher said, "Well, ya know, that candidate is a 'Post Turtle'".

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle' was.

The old rancher said, "When you're driving down a country road you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a 'post turtle'".

The old rancher saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain.

"You know they didn't get up there by themselves, they don't belong up there, and they don't know what to do while they're up there, and you just wonder what kind of dummy put them up there to begin with".
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

ely

thanks jeff, i also get tired of the threads, but i always read them ;D. you guys are doing a great job here.

DR Buck

QuotePost turtle
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now that's funny.!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

Way to go, Boss!!!  There are a lot of places that you can talk politics, but few that you can discuss Forestry.  I totally support your decision.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thedeeredude

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Thank you admins. I cant wait till this elections over. 8) 8) 8) 8)

LeeB

I am neither here nor there with the polit threads. I just stayed away from them, so for me they have been gone for a while. If you don't like it, don't read it. ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tim L

I belong to some gun owner rights type forums and I've had enough politics from them to last me a while . I'll vote my conscience and encourage others to do the same .
Do the best you can and don't look back

Jeff

One of the problems with just recommending that people stay away from a political threads lies in the fact that we have something on the forum called view most recent posts that many people use. Myself, I don't use it. I go from thread to thread, board to board, but many people read the forum in their own way, and one of those ways is to click on the most recent posts link and read the forum from there.  If you are one that does that, then lately, even though the politics are mostly on just a couple threads, because of the activity of those threads, it gives the appearance that the whole forum has been inundated even though it certainly hasn't.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

I read them for a short time but did not bother to keep up although your upcoming election has a big influence here north of 49. We have one to deal with next week. ::) There are far too many posts to go back and catch up on now.
I believe there is a place for it here as long as it stays civil and people are willing to listen as well as talk but it should not detract from the focus of the forum. The conversation gives a good indication of the personalities involved.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olyman

me thinks the admins,and mods have done a good job. also, the political forum has been kept very sane--a round table discussion that has kept level.. and as you said jeff, some people you just cant please no matter what you do

Lanier_Lurker

I learned long ago that discussing or debating politics in an "online" environment is like continuously banging your head against a door frame while trying to keep your foot still as a box turtle tries to crawl over it.

You just end up hurting your head and annoying the turtle (bless his little heart).

Good or bad, right or wrong, well informed or not, people generally have their minds made up about political matters before they ever open their mouths.  You (almost) never change anyone's mind.

Objectivity vanishes when discussions turn to politics.

'Nuff said...

Thank You Sponsors!