iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turners [circular mill]

Started by bandmiller2, October 07, 2008, 06:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Thanks so much for all the advice, got my cable feed and bumpers all figured out and built.Next is a log turner setup.What I'am planning to do is use two triangle shaped wedges hinged to the top of utility poles on the log side of the mill.When needed they are flipped up and the log/cant pulled to you and slides back on the carrage 1/4 turn.My old mill used that setup and it worked to perfection.This time I may put rollers on the top of the wedge,been saving truck air brake cam rollers.Any better ideas I like to learn new tricks.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JSNH

I would like to see some photos of installed log turners. I am thinking of adding hydraulic feed and it would be a big help to add something to aid in log turning. Looking for ideas for future project.

backwoods sawyer

This "V" set up was very successful at turning the logs and is a simple design to duplicate. Each chain has it's own hydraulic motor and the "V's" raised and lower independently. This set up has since be scrapped for an under the deck charger in order to get a 3d scanner.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

backwoods sawyer
Is that setup for charging a lathe, or some type of scragg mill?  Looks like the ends are being dogged...along with your comment that the profile is being scanned.

The chain turner looks good and simple (up to a point.. :) :) ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

bandmiller

I had a setup very similar to yours.  But, it had 2 wheels on it, 1 on top and 1 on bottom.  We would flip them up, then turn the log out onto the wheels, and it would slide back onto the carriage.  We did some really big logs with them where it took 3 guys to pull the log over.  It worked a lot better than turning with a cant hook.  You'll turn your log just as quick as you can with a hydraulic turner, maybe faster.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

MaddiesDad

Are you talking about turners on the carriage, or like a chain bar turner??

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: beenthere on October 07, 2008, 04:12:36 PM
backwoods sawyer
Is that setup for charging a lathe, or some type of scragg mill?  Looks like the ends are being dogged...along with your comment that the profile is being scanned.

The chain turner looks good and simple (up to a point.. :) :) ).
In this set up the sawyer rotates the log horns up, scans the log, the over head charger centers the log in the end dogging carriage which then takes the log thru a set of block chippers, then on down to a set of double cut twins. The next log is waiting for the carriage to return.

The scanner sets the block chippers and the bandmills.

The log turner uses sharp chain to grab and rotate the log and handles both large and small logs with ease. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Maddiesdad,the turners Ron and I are talking about are not on the carrage but mounted on the log deck or post.They are simply a hinged incline you flip up with the bottom of the incline same level as the bunks on the carrage.To turn the log/cant you roll it twords you with a cant hook it slides back on the carrage 1/4 turn.There is no power outher than armstrong.Frank C.

MaddiesDad

Oh... I was thinking it was the hydraulic power or some sort of carriage mounted turner....

Meadows Miller

Gday

Pitty You are all the way over there Frank  :( I can get hold of a knockoff of Mellot 4a turner for a couple of hundred bucks from the cousin of the bloke who had my carriage and mellot 4a jim had the new one I have now pulled down measured and built twice as heavy by an engineer there was 4 of them i saw up there when i picked up the carriage and turner late last year The cousin is just selling every thing cheap as he is the excecutor of jims estate since he passed away 2 years ago .
I got a price the other day from mellot for a new one now they are $3500 us about $6500 aus landed with controls our dollar is buying 0.62 us cents today Ill be holding of on buying a new mill for a while yet  ;) Anyway ive got a perfectly good mill sitting in the yard Ive just gotta finish it  ;) :D :D ;D
I can find out about shipping if you want as it would only take up aspace of about 3'6"L x 2'6"W x 3'6" H sea freight would be about $350 us im guessing shuld be no dramas with customs as its new Id just give it a fresh coat of jam and wack it in a box for you  if you want it or want me to suss it out let me know ;) ;D

Ive got to go up there and pick up a semi auto pallet nailer and auto pallet stacker Ive allredy paid for in the next month or so .

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Chris,thanks for the generous offer mate.I intend to keep this mill simple and close to origional as possible.You can bet if I was going to earn my beans on it  I'd have all the goodies.Frank C.

jdunmyer

My log turner is a simple electric chain hoist, hanging from a rail/trolley that is at right angles to the carriage track. It's not especially fast, but it's sure better than using a cant hook.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer/sawmill/mar27_01.jpg

It's only rated at 1/2 ton, but it's never failed to turn any log I could get on the carriage. All I did was replace the hook on the chain with the hook from a cant hook. Note that I ALWAYS set the hook with a small "drilling hammer" to be sure it doesn't fall out.

Thank You Sponsors!