iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Super Split Wood Splitters

Started by Woodhog, October 01, 2008, 06:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

I see on a firewood thread someone mentioned these splitters.

I didnt like to steal the thread so started another...

I looked at the videos and was very impressed..

http://www.supersplit.com/

I have been around quite a while and never saw one of these machines...

Are they reliable and are parts available etc.

I see they seem to have stopped using the Briggs and Stratton engine and now advertise a

Subaru Robins engine , anyone know anything about these engines good or bad???

Thanks

Raider Bill

My old one was very reliable. I had it 5 years or so and only put one flywheel belt and a return spring on it. Brother used it another 5 or so years after that. Sold it when he got a modern furnace ;D
It had a 5 horse briggs.

I don't know anyting about the new motors but I would buy another without any problems.
They are a very simple design.
Saw one at Sawlex last year. They made some improvements but it is the same machine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

I've only heard good things about Robins engines.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Did some Googling on the Suburu Robin, (curious  :) ) and here is some text of what I learned (and I feel I did learn something).

Robin Subaru moving in on Honda
Robin Subaru is moving in on what has been Honda territory for the past 20 years.  This doesn't surprise us here for many reasons.  The first and foremost reason is that Honda is still marketing a 25 years old design.  The OHV (overhead valve) engine was a great step up from traditional small engines then, but now their design is tired, worn and outdated.  And Honda, in their arrogance, doesn't care.  Their engines normally work well and they have trained their customers well.

However, Subaru is marketing an OHC (overhead cam).  This engine is more efficient and powerful for it's size.  It is also lubricated better.  Honda still depends on a "splash" system, which is really primitive.  These Robins engines are actually CHEAPER than the same hp Honda.

What Is an Overhead Cam?

(OHC) A Camshaft Mounted above the Head to Activate the Valves is driven by a timing (cam) chain. Direct valve activation by a cam eliminates the need of pushrods and rocker arms, and their accompanying lash and inertia. Valves respond quicker, valve adjustment can be more accurate, and engine speed can be higher.

OHC Engines Offer Mechanical Advantages over Comparable Size Pushrod Engines:
• More power
• Higher engine speed
• Fewer moving valve train parts
• Greater precision
• Easier maintenance

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

Two friends w/ them for 15 years or so, AWESOME (they used to let me borrow them when I lived in their area). Best thing going.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

musikwerke

I have one and I love it.  It makes splitting firewood fun. I bought it without the engine and put my own 1/2 HP 1150 RPM electric motor on it.  I chose a low RPM motor so that I could use a larger diameter motor pulley to get more belt surface area since the flywheels are so large.  It doesn't take any real power.  The flywheels do all the work.
John

Raider Bill

I checked with my Brother he says the guy that bought my old one still uses it every season. It's at least 30 years old.

Raider Bill

I was just thinking.............. ::)

Since I have been on this forum this is the first peice of logging or seroius wood  so to speak equiptment that I have had any knowledge of ;D

You guys talk about skidders, saws, yard lines, planers, mills, peavey and cant bars, all kind of things I know nothing about.
I do read with interest though!

Makes me feel like one of the guys! ;D

Night Raider

Looks like a pretty slick rig.  The only thing I could see making it better would be a foot pedal instead of pulling up that knob.

stonebroke

They probably do that so you only have one hand in the way instead of two.

Stonebroke

Woodhog

QuoteLooks like a pretty slick rig.  The only thing I could see making it better would be a foot pedal instead of pulling up that knob.

I thought that also, then I noted it is probably safer to have that hand up out of the way.

I have often wondered why all wood splitters even the hydraulic ones did not have a foot operated valve peddle to step on to operate the splitter.

It always seems a waste of time to tie up the one arm with operating the splitter mechanism, also on some splitter designs it would save some bending of your back....

Raider Bill

On the super split the ram moves pretty fast. Once you pull the lever you take your hands off it and grab another chunk to split. Not necessary to hang on.
When it reaches it's furthermost point it returns automatically

Mr Mom

The only problem that i have is it cost almost twice as a hydrlic wood splitter.
Unless the price dropped.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Raider Bill

Of course I bought mine 30 years ago but paid less than $1000.00

DanG

I keep hearing about these Super Split gizmoes, but I don't know what y'all are talking about.  There have been a couple of videos offered up, but I can't look at them because of my slow connection.  Does anybody have a regular plain ol' picture of one?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

DanG
Did you get to the website
http://www.supersplit.com/

One drawing, and on the home page...is a small pic of one (standing still for ya  :) )

On Tractorbynet.com, one person talked about having some rack teeth problems and a bent rack, both happening when splitting elm.

Straightened the rack in a press, and had to get parts to replace damage done by the lost teeth.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Thanks BT.  I checked that out and have a bit better understanding now, but they could sure use some help with that website.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

DanG,when you go to a forest expo they might have one there.I have seen them up here in Maine at a show.Saw one hooked up to electicity once.Seem odd,it was so quiet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Got to thinking about the price last night. It does seema tad steep.
Not sure why It's a simple design, not real costly parts except for the motor.

Ironwood

The price is expensive, but it works SOOOO well AND fast it is worth it. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Raider Bill

I agree it is fast!
I remember mine would split as fast as I could load it. We used to make a weekend of it using 2 guys, 1 would load the splitter one would take them off and stack. It was hard to keep up with the speed.
By the time you pulled the handle and bent over to grab another peice it was done.

Really though, the componets are a motor, I beam, toothed rail, flywheel and cog. The actuator, tray and wheel assembly included can't cost that much :-\

Ironwood

If you are EVEN thinking of continious use, year after year, cord after cord, it really makes sense. I'll bet the "cycle time" is half or more of most splitters and JUST AS POWERFUL. We (my wife and I, years ago when we heated w/ wood) could not keep up w/ the amount of split wood those things could put out. You could keep three people hustling. Ideally a conveyor would make sense. For me this product represents the next step UP from a hydraulic splitter before you go to a processor. What is the current price?

Ironwood

Mr Mom

The price if i remember was like around $3200 but it has been a long time last  i looked.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

TerryB

The low-end "J-Model"  starts at $2,330 with the 4.5HP Subaru Robins.  There is also a "Heavy Duty Model" and "Special Edition" available, all with optional high speed tires, trailer kit, and Honda engines.

SuperSplit Price List

I'm pretty impressed by the videos, now I just have to wait for a friend to take the plunge so I can try one out.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!