iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GAs in Georgia

Started by Raider Bill, October 01, 2008, 03:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

One of the guys is leaving in the morning up 75 to Tenn.
We are hearing that gas is scarce through Ga.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Lanier_Lurker

I drove from Cumming to Dahlonega and then partway from Dahlonega to Cleveland yesterday afternoon looking for gas.  Only the BP stations had any, and there were so many folks lined up at them that I was not going to get involved.  I was in my truck looking for diesel, but had some gas cans in the back if I found any.

Then, lo and behold I was coming back down GA400 and spotted a tanker truck dumping a load at a small station.  It was diesel!   8)

So, I was able to get diesel at least.

Today, things seem to be better with gas.  But, I would make sure that by the time he gets anywhere near metro Atlanta your friend should have enough gas in the tank to reach Tennessee.

Dodgy Loner

It varies a lot depending on where you are.  In my area (northeast GA), basically what you'll see is one or two stations without any gas, followed by 1 or 2 stations that have regular only.  Gas isn't exactly hard to find, but not every station will have it.  Just don't let it get below 1/4 tank and you should be fine.

I think Atlanta is a little worse off than the rest of the state, so be sure you have plenty of gas to make it past there.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Raider Bill

Thanks, he was concerned about that. Takes him 3 tanks with atlanta being one of the fill ups.

News here is lines, shortages etc due to transportation issues.

Plenty of gas around here but ours comes by ship.

DanG

Not Georgia, but almost.  I checked at 4 stations in Quincy yesterday before I swallowed my pride and bought some deisel at Walmart. :-\

Like Dodgy said, he don't want to wait until the light comes on before he starts looking.  Historically, the Cordele area has had the best prices along I-75.  If he can top off there, he should easily make it past Hotlanta. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

I've heard it too, as well as TN. Not sure why our prices in WI are dropping, when there are shortages in other places. Seems if gas is short supply, the price would go up to limit the demand.
Must be some other hanky panky going on..which doesn't surprise me.  ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Cordele area is my stop unless I'm pulling a trailer. :-\ That BP truck stop at exit 97 is the nastiest one for 742 miles. Pumps are always either broke slow or the card swip doesn't work. HAlf the pumps are always shut down. Wouldn't let my dog go into the mens room and I'm told the Ladies is worse.

He stops at lake city, atlanta, and etowah, tn.
Creature of habit.

He's now going to do a macon and chatsworth stop. Going to try new things. ;D

DanG

Bill, there's a Pilot at exit 101(I think) that is nice and clean.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Great minds! That's the one I now stop at.

Radar67

Over here in Collins and surrounding areas, the price for regular is still $3.59 - $3.65. Just 20 miles south in Hattiesburg, the average price is $3.34. But, around 3 in the afternoon, there is a station that drops the regular price to $3.05 and creates a gas war for a few hours.

I wonder how they are able to drop that low and still make money? Seems the mark up may be more than we think.

We have not had any shortages here. There is a pipe line with in 2 miles of my house with over a million gallon storage capacity.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on October 01, 2008, 04:17:39 PM
Bill, there's a Pilot at exit 101(I think) that is nice and clean.

Andersonville Prison is right near cordele keep wanting to go there.

timberfaller390

In Ringgold gas is 3.80 to 3.85 and you usually go by at least 2 or 3 stations that are out of gas, and andersonville is a pretty cool place.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Raider Bill

Andersonville and Shiloh are about the last of the major Civil war spots I haven't been to. That will mean a over night stop. I tend to linger..... :)

Tom

You should linger at New Market sometime.  I enjoy that field.

Raider Bill

Went there about 15 years ago. If I remember right that was where the VMI cadats changed the course of the battle?

TexasTimbers

Funny you mention that Bill. I did a paper in HS once that contrasted 3 CSA generals against 3 US generals. Sigel was one of them.

We aren't short on gas here that I have seen but I don't get out much anymore. There could be anarchy in the streets and I wouldn't know. ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

WDH

Georgia is supplied via pipeline direct from the Gulf Coast.  The Ike impact on production has slowed the pipeline flow.  Atlanta is worst.  Tanking up in Macon is the way to go.  Cheapest gas in the area is in Macon.  Price this pm was about $3.68 per gallon.  It is about $4.00 per gallon in Atlanta if you can find it.

Andersonville is about 35 miles off the interstate.  Get off at the Montezuma/Hawkinsville exit (Hwy 26) and go west to Montezuma.  Then take Hwy 49 to Andersonville.  If you are hungry, there is a Mennonite restaurant and bakery about 10 miles from the interstate before you get to Montezume :).  The cinnamon rolls are the best that I have ever had ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rebocardo

Atlanta area is bad, about the only ones now with gas are the QTs. So, mapquest ones along your route. Most places do have diesel left.

timberfaller390

Quote from: WDH on October 01, 2008, 08:20:27 PM
If you are hungry, there is a Mennonite restaurant and bakery about 10 miles from the interstate before you get to Montezume :).  The cinnamon rolls are the best that I have ever had ;D.
That resturant really is great, thats where we always ate at when we were going to the flint river nursery on a seedling run, when I still worked for the Georgia Forestry Commission.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Raider Bill

I really need to get there espessically now that I have a great restaurant to try!
My problem is once I get on the road driving I hate to stop and I have a small dog with me that I hate to leave in the truck.

pigman

Bill, just put your sun glasses on, put a short leash on the dog and walk slowly in the resturant. ;) Be sure to let them read the menu to you. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

I'll wear my stevie wonder glasses 8)

It's the national park / battlefield I'll probaley have the trouble with.

She'll wait while I'm in a resturant as she knows a white box is coming her way but I tend to spend a lot of time at battlefields.

I don't think the Park service allows cute little dogs.

SPIKER

Plenty of gas up here in Ohio, last night on news 2.99 gallon! 8)  I paid 3.32 2 days ago on trip back in akron area.   Mansfield area it was 3.44  when we left and 3.39 on way back...   today I haven't gone anywhere as it is not required...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Lanier_Lurker

smiley_furious3

This is really getting on my nerves.

I paid $4.40 for regular this morning (at the first place I found that had gas).  I refused to fill up at that price, and I don't like running 87 octane stuff in my car anyway.

metalspinner

QuotePlenty of gas up here in Ohio, last night on news 2.99 gallon!

Sounds like politicians are trying to buy some votes up there, eh?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!