iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinda looks like Cedar...

Started by 379hammerdown, September 30, 2008, 07:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

379hammerdown

After Ike hit, I've been cleaning up some yards of Cedar trees and came across this one. After I got the two trees I came for taken care of, the property owner asked if I could just cut one more tree off of his hurricane fence that fell over. Only about 5' was still on his property and the rest was on the neighbor's yard. He asked me to just cut it off the fence, and cut the stump low enough so the roots and stump woudl plop back into the ground. No prob.

The tree was about 12" diameter and the bark looked VERY similar to Cedar... but not totally... but the leaves were totally different. Kinda heart shaped and jagged? I only half looked at them because I was pretty tired and just wanted to satisfy the property owner and head home.

I cut like requested and the wood looked totally like Cedar. I brought the 5' log home with me too and cut it up today. Its beautiful wood, but doesn't smell like cedar and the wood has a lot more character than the Cedar that I've seen. Really pretty stuff.

Any Ideas? I planed it just after I cut it... dry stuff, and here is the picture. It was cut about 45 minutes ago. That's a 1x6 for width reference.

tyb525

Thats a beautifully figured cedar-like wood.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thedeeredude

That sure looks like eastern red cedar.

Tom

I think it is some kind of juniper.  Probably Eastern Red Cedar and the leaves belonged to something else, like a vine. 

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dodgy Loner

Doesn't really look like yew...and I know what yew look like ::).

Definitely looks like an eastern redcedar to me...I'm going to have to go with Tom on this one.  Are you sure the leaves weren't off of a vine?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

If it is not ERC, then I know that I don't know it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

It does look like eastern red cedar. No hardwood would come as close as that piece of wood to cedar. Pecan and mulberry can have some lighter inclusions, but those don't come close to that color. Impossible to key it out further without end grain to see the rays, rings and pores. Looks like a softwood to me anyway.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

379hammerdown

Thanks for all your reply's, It may very well have been a vine that owned the leaves I saw. t was a pretty bushy area... and my vision was obstructed sweat droplets! We'll go with Cedar on this one I suppose :) It appears to be the only practical conclusion, and if I had only see the log itself, I'd have no doubt it was Cedar. I suppose I just confused myself! Near heat stroke will do that to ya I suppose!

Thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!