iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Blade Sharpening

Started by dannymbrown, September 30, 2008, 03:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannymbrown

Hi All,

My Dad has been sharpening bandsaw blades for a long time and he does a great job.  I have always thought that he should offer his services to others via mail order.

So my question would be, if he offered his sharpening services would anyone be interested.  By the way he only charges $6 a blade.  For his potential new customers, he has always done a buy one get one free up to 20 blades.

What do you guys think?  Should I have him advertise on the Forum?? ???

Thanks,
Dan

Tom

Danny,
We do have members who sharpen bandblades.  They don't advertise on the open forum because we discourage it, wanting the forum to be a conversational arena of Forestry  and wood industries.   Still there are mentions now and again in the conversation about them, and because they are tenured, we let it slide.  There are some advantages to being a proven and long term member of the forum.  :)

There are advertising opportunities offered on the forum.  Some are on the front page and some are the results of being a sponsor.  Jeff could help you with those if you decide to use the venue.

As far as being successful, it can be a good business to be in.  I guess a lot of the measurement of success of any business has to do with what you consider success and what you expect as profit.  To some they need every penny for survival.  For some, getting paid to do something they love is success, even though it isn't a living wage to their competition.

I suppose that the decision to be in business is a rather personal decision.  :)

ahlkey

I believe at $6 dollars he could do ok depending on location.  I can buy a new quality blade in wisconsin for around $18 dollars and have someone doing my blades for $6 dollars as well.   How many times does he typically sharpen each blade?  I know a lot depends on the situation but I normally average close to 4 out of each blade (hardwoods).  However, with the price of gas and shipping costs these days I only do 10 or more at the same time.   What does he use as a setup?  Where are you located in Wisconsin?

beenthere

How is your Dad doing after his surgery earlier this month?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: ahlkey on September 30, 2008, 04:36:59 PM
...........  Where are you located in Wisconsin?

In his profile, he has his location pinpointed.  :) :)

Where is yours? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dannymbrown

Tom,

Sorry about the post - if you want to delete it is ok by me. I really was not trying to advertise but after I read your reply it sure looks like I was.  In fact, it will be a little while before he has recuperated to be able to get back into the swing of things.

BeenThere - thanks for asking about my Dad.  Actually my Dad is doing pretty well but my Mom ended up staying in the hospital for a couple of weeks when she was only supposed to be in 2 days.  The a week later, she was re-admitted and had another surgery due to an infection.  Finally last Friday, both are home and hoping on the way to a full recovery.

I live in Kewaunee, WI which is about 25 miles straight east of Green Bay.  I moved here about ten years ago from Los Angeles and have loved every minute of it.  Not planning on ever leaving WI unless some day move up north there hey!!

Sorry if I offended anybody for my post.........

Dan

sawmilllawyer

Tom great point about whether a business is a success or not. Andy.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

cantcutter

I was paying 5.00 a band locally, then switched to a guy who does a better job for 7.00 a band. Now the 5.00 guy dropped his price to 3.50 a band so I get him to do them twice and then have the other guy do them to get the profile back.

bandmiller2

I've found the real rub is setting not sharpening,many times the lowballer won't set.Thats why some bands will cut well and outhers won't.It would probibly be hard to make much of a living sharpening bands but a couple of good customers would soon pay for your sharpening equipment.I have a friend that's a timber framer uses alot of Maketa thin wide stellite tiped bands cost him around $100.00 ea.I modified my Cooks cats claw sharpener to handle those bands,I love to see him show up with a trunk load of bands.He tells me the resharps cut as well as new.I made a small block with a dial indicator takes me a few seconds to randomly check the set of a few teeth if their within a couple of thou.I don't touch them.What I'm saying is its worthwile to sharpen your own bands,have a couple of customers then you can justify good sharpening equip. Frank C.

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

cantcutter,

you got it brother-it is band-not blades.....
Albert

Toolman

dannymbrown,

You did'nt offend me!!  Entrepreneurship is what this country's all about!!  I sharpen my own blades. If I did'nt, I'd ship them to your dad. I like giving business to the little guy. I hope he is doing well. Check my profile for my e-mail address and send me his info. I may need to send a couple out for resharp. I've been too busy lately to keep up.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!