iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I lift a building?

Started by Dodgy Loner, September 30, 2008, 10:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I don't know yet if this is a tool shed, dry room shed, or a woodshed but none of them need trim, it's not a house addition. ;)  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

What .. you dont trim your wood shed ??? ::) 

I have a pic somewhers I need go fetch  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Most woodsheds around here were never even boarded on the inside. Makes for good air flow. ;D

I don't mean roof board trimming. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

It is a workshop.  I'll spend more time in here than any room in my house except my bedroom.  So I think I'll trim out the floorboards.  If I wasn't worried about the appearance, I would have bought some 1/2" OSB for $6 a sheet and been done with it already ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on December 18, 2008, 04:27:37 PM
If I wasn't worried about the appearance, I would have bought some 1/2" OSB for $6 a sheet and been done with it already ;).

Well there now, your talking some good sense. That's all I did. Only it wasn't at the time and never was since, $6 a sheet up here. :D

Of course we like razz'n and tormenting ya. ;)

isawlogs

We put an addition on to this place a while back ....  :)

I really liked the front of the cottage , also the little wood storage was kinda cute .  :D

I know I have a pic of the woodshed that went along with this cottage ..  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

DL,

That really looks good!!  Keep the pics coming. 

That was a good day sawing ;D.  I am pleased to see such fine results.  I expected nothing less :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Marcel
That really looks great.
That all your craftsmanship? Whoever, did it well.
And I like the woodshed...looks like a days worth of wood there... :) :)

Cover for the snow tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Na .. dat was all there , but it is really nice and well done . We added to this and some friends did the finishing , I was moving here at the time . I did saw all of the timbers for the addittion . That is a days wood under the roof under the roof  ::) they have a wood shed there that some would call a cottage  :D :D
  You can see part of the addition to the right of the pic , there is a timberframe between the house/cottage and the log work .

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

Nice stuff, Marcel!  I especially like the stone work one that house :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Warbird

Wow DL, it's looking great.  Please keep posting pics as you get it finished and some tools moved in.

Dodgy Loner

Work on the shop came to a halt while I was gone for the holidays.  I got started knocking out the old windows and installing some new ones last week.  I'm glad I did it.  I much prefer working in natural light.  My workbench will go right in front of the double windows in the front of the building.

Here are the old windows:

And the new ones:

The view is quite good.  This picture doesn't do it justice :)

Radar67

I noticed you didn't cover the rim joists with siding, what are your plans for them?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dodgy Loner

To cover them with siding ;D.  Actually, they were originally covered, but I had to cut part of siding away when I lifted the building and replaced the old joists.  I have plenty of 10' 1x12s laying around, and sometime this spring I'll plane six of them down and nail them to the rim joists, before I repaint the whole building.  It's the least expensive solution I can think of.

Radar67

If you can plane an angle, or cut a lip on the 1x12s and slip them under the siding at least an inch, it will help keep moisture away from the rim joists. Otherwise, install a metal "Z" drip edge under the siding and over the 1x12.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Dodgy Loner

Well, the rim joists are treated, but I was still planning on cutting an angle on the top to direct water away from the subfloor and sole plate.  The metal drip edge would surely be a more durable option.  I'll price it whenever I get around to installing the boards :)

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good view out that window. Reminds me of the area around Saint John and Sussex with the hills jutting up sharply. Of course not as mild or diverse tree species as Georgia. ;D

Woodchuck53

Morning Dodgy, will you be painting the backside of the new wood before you nail it in place? The drip cap is a good idea also. You worked to hard to miss a step now. Great job and safe outcome, always a good ending to any story. --------I have now purchased muself a pair of chaps.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Dodgy Loner

Got some more work done in the shop the last couple of weeks.  The interior paneling is finished, and the floor is nearly so.  Next time I visit my parent's place, I'll be fetching a few trim boards, plus my lathe and bandsaw 8).  I still have some cabinets to build to hold all of my tools, but that will come soon enough.  Here are some pics of the current progress.

And just for kicks, here's the view from my front porch last night :)

Radar67

SwampDonkey

Looking fine. Now with the machines to be placed in there, where you installing the cupboards? ;D

A shop is never big enough.  :D

WDH

I love that pine paneling.  I also love to see a good plan come to fruition.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPIKER

boy that is just not right, your shed now looks better than my HOUSE! :( ::) :o

Keep up the good work.
SPIKER
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

DanG

Hey Dodgy, I just thought of something I did years ago that might help with your small space.  I was in a situation where the only work space I had was the top of a chest freezer in the corner of a storage building.  I got tired of moving all my tools and stuff every time we needed to open the freezer.  I made a work surface from plywood, and rigged it up with some pulleys on the ceiling.  I could just lower it when needed, then winch it back up when I was done. :)  I'm thinking of making another one with a welding table on the bottom and a removeable woodworking top.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

I like the idea, DanG, and I know just the space where I could use it. Only problem is, I need to build the work surface before I build the raisable top to my work surface. I definitely am the type of woodworker for whom junk tends to spontaneously collect ;).

Thank You Sponsors!