iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln progress

Started by kelLOGg, September 29, 2008, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Just about to finish my kiln. I painted the interior (plywood floors and OSB walls and ceiling) today with aluminized metal roof paint. The paint was left over from painting the barn roof 15 years ago - I had 6 gallons and it covered the whole 500 sqft in the kiln. I was surprised it covered the whole kiln - I thought I put it on thick - I can see no wood grain from the floors or walls. Should I apply another coat?

The kiln is inside my barn and has only a de-humidifier  - no aux heat. I plan to dry only wood that has been air dried.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sparty

I am certainly no expert as far as kilns go, but ....I would assume that in a kiln where no heat is applied, condensation should not be very heavy (particularly with your air dried lumber). 

Are you using fans?  Just sitting a dehumidifier in the box?  Is the box insulated? Are you using the heat from the dehumidifier? The drying may be a slow process without applying heat or much air movement. 

That being said...never hurts to slap more paint on!

kelLOGg

I didn't give many details. The walls are R19 fiberglass. The chamber is well sealed from air leaks and has 2 window fans for circulation. The design is based on ideas from FF and a crude kiln I made last winter to see if I wanted to build a permanent one. It consisted of a big tarp wrapped around previously air dried lumber with fans and dehumidifier inside. It worked! I was able to get moisture content to 7-8%. The temp rose 20 degrees over ambient so I am expecting a higher rise with R19.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!