iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the pallets for?

Started by SwingOak, September 28, 2008, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwingOak

Hi folks, I just came back from a fishing trip to Maine, and noticed that about 6 or so pallets had been placed on many of the boom piers in the Androscoggin river upstream from where there is some sort of woodsman's competition this week in Berlin, NH. They weren't there last week, so I assume they are related to some part of the competition.

I was on a woodsman's team in college, but I haven't a clue and I'm curious - What are the pallets used for?

Thanks!

tyb525

Possibly to hold the logs so they don't roll around.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Maybe the

Berlin, 9th Annual Lumberjack Festival (09/28): Always a huge event in Berlin, ... include the axe toss, single bucking, underhand chop and log rolling. ...

and decks for the log rolling, etc. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Maybe it's time to update some of those old festivals.  They could scrap the log rolling and ax throwing, since nobody does much of that stuff anymore, and substitute something like the Buckettruck Boogie and the Feller/Buncher Foxtrot. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwingOak

I don't think it's log rolling, as they are stacked up on boom piers for what seems like 1/4 mile up river from the competition site.

sprucebunny

"RiverFire"

Not sure of the exact date...it's usually around Halloween.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Sprucebunny is right on..

This was found

October 11 – RiverFire: As soon as the sun sets, historic boom piers along the Androscoggin River light up the skies. Fun and games for the whole family at the Northern Forest Heritage Park, Route 16, Berlin, NH; along with lots of food and maybe even a haunted house.

A pic from last year at this site

http://www.northernforestheritage.org/river_fire.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwingOak

Well that answers that question. Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!