iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow ceder?

Started by minesmoria, September 28, 2008, 09:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

There was a log sort/ bandsaw mill here, and they have 6 yellow ceder logs about 30 foot long marked YU these logs are put in the junk firewood pile.

Now these logs have no rot and look just fine, dont know why they did not use them for lumber.

This is my favorite firewood  smells so good and burns hot and long.

tyb525

They might not be valuable enough to spend the time sawing them.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

park ranger

I would cut it up in a heartbeat.  Yellow cedar looks a lot like western red cedar as far as the tree goes but the wood is much more yellow and smells totaly different(kind of like pipe tabacco).  It is also used in boat building.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum, park ranger.

Where abouts are you? 

Are you a park ranger, and what park?

Curious, at most.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Shame to waste good yellow ceder. I saw guys working over clear cuts that were done 15 years previous to gather all the yellow ceder (we call it yellow cypress) they could get their hands on. This was on a remote Island chain off the BC coast. They were slinging it road side by helicopter. So it musta been worth something.  ;) Yellow cedar last a very long time laying on the ground as long as it is in tact and not broken or with cracks from falling and handling.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!