iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band roller

Started by bandmiller2, September 28, 2008, 07:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Has anyone here built their own band roller,if so how did it work?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

I guess the lack of response ansers my question. frank C.

woodbowl

Been wanting to do that for a long time myself, just haven't taken the time. As I understand it, one roller is flat and the other one has a slight crown. (only a few thou) Anyone with more specs?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

backwoods sawyer

This is a project that I would like to try as well!!!
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brian_Rhoad

I'm working on one made from a sheet metal bead roller from Harbor Freight.

1938farmall

bandmiller,  are your cuts rising or falling?  or are you just wanting to try it for fun? al
aka oldnorskie

pineywoods

Look for a tool called an english wheel.  Same thing.  Been around custom body shops and aircraft builders for decades. Used to roll compound curves in sheet metal.  Think harbor freight lists one.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

38 farmall,no big problems but when their are the bands dive.In fact one cussed pine log was giving me fits when a guy offered me a good deal on a complete handset circular mill,exchange problems??            Woodbowl,don't know for sure but I would think you need one convex outher concave due to the springyness [sp] of the steel.Its just a project I've wanted to try [too cheap to buy one]. Frank C.                                               

logwalker

My bands cup down. You would think that they would cup up as they are pulled tight around the bandwheel and the belt. But it doesn't. I find that puzzling.

So I had a thought that if I turn a UHMW roller with a concave face and mount it inside the idler wheel housing. It would be brought down with a lever that I could operate from the outside and roll the band over the idler as it was turning. Does that make since? Anybody think this might work? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ely

i would think its not gonna work joe. i say that because i really tighten up my roller in order to move the metal in the band at all. and it is steel against steel. the plastic you are talking about i am unsure of. i know it it used on airboats but not sure it would move the band steel.

Brian_Rhoad

When you "roll" a blade you are actually crushing the metal between the rollers. Just running the blade betwen a concave and convex set of rollers won't do it. The steel actually stretches on the one side of the blade, causing the crown in the steel.

ely

mine is a cooks roller and it does work like brian is saying.

logwalker

I figured that was the case. Where on the bandbody does the Cooks squeeze the metal? I am just trying to understand how my bands get the cup in the first place. Can't quite wrap my brain around this.   :D :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

backwoods sawyer

I bench my saws when they are rising or diving by tapping a line all the way around the saw in the same manor that rolling the saw stretches the metal. I use a brass 8 oz hammer and a 2" thick 18" long anvil, I keep the gullet over the edge to keep from taking the set out of the saw. This works but can be time consuming. I have two wooden wheels for the saw to ride on as I rotate it around.

My question is about how the band roller is made: 
Is one roller stationary and flat and the other U shaped with an adjustable tension? 
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brian_Rhoad

QuoteMy question is about how the band roller is made: 
Is one roller stationary and flat and the other U shaped with an adjustable tension? 

Yes that is how they operate. It doesn't take much of a crown on the roller to flatten the blade.

woodbowl

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 02, 2008, 05:35:38 PM
I bench my saws when they are rising or diving by tapping a line all the way around the saw in the same manor that rolling the saw stretches the metal. I use a brass 8 oz hammer 

backwoods, I've tried this using a ball ping, can't say that I've noticed much difference. You say you tap a line all the way around the saw. Is it a concentrated line in the center or more like a broad whack on the full band? Is your 8 oz brass hammer flat or crowned?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

backwoods sawyer

Brass "V" shaped hammer
I tap a narrow tire line about center between the bottom of the gullet and the back of the saw. I use a felt marker with a jig to draw a line around the saw then work my way around with the hammer. The hammer has to hit hard enough to bounce back up to do any good. I also use a straight edge with a light on the backside of the work area to check the results. There should be a slight curve to the saw allowing the light to be seen under the straight edge in the center of the saw.

I have found that one of the factors leading to the saws needing benched is excessive build up on the wheels when a spray nozzle on the lube system is plugged. I run my sprayers on full all the time and carry enough water to last all day at that rate. As soon as a saw starts to sound dry, I check the spray nozzles. I always remove the saw at the end of the day as saws left under tension can stretch, as well as the wet sawdust promotes deep rust where in contact with the saw weakening the saw.

bandmiller2

Brian,so before you roll your band its cupped down and when you roll it the convex [crowned] roller forces the band down on the flat roller.Then when your done their is a slight cup up.It seems backwards to me you would think when you expand one side it would cup in the oposite direction.??This is interesting stuff the holy grail of saws ,band and circular. What if a band was mounted between wheels with the bottom running over an anvel an air hammer [zip gun] with a rounded bit mounted to run along the center of the band.An air regulator to adjust the impact.The force of the impact could be adjusted as well as the speed the band moves under the hammer.Frank C.

customsawyer

I is not smart enough to know all things as to why it works but it does. The way that I understand it is in the workings of the blade as it is used it will get a little longer on the tooth side of the blade and rolling it will make the back side the same length this taking out the cupping action in the blade.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 03, 2008, 06:52:11 AM
What if a band was mounted between wheels with the bottom running over an anvel an air hammer [zip gun] with a rounded bit mounted to run along the center of the band.An air regulator to adjust the impact.The force of the impact could be adjusted as well as the speed the band moves under the hammer.Frank C.
I have used a system similar to what you have described when sharpening 12" wide 480" long double cut bands. Replacement cost on those bands are around $1,000 each so it is very important to get a long life out of a saw even if it had been wrecked, hit metal, cracks welded, ect. and the same philosophy pertains to the smaller bands as well, just on a smaller scale.

bandmiller2

I have been looking into roll tensioners for headsaws.Probibly a lighter duty setup, like a roll tensioner, using an air hammer could controlably tension a big blade.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!