iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time cabin builders needing input!!!

Started by milling man, September 27, 2008, 01:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milling man

My father and I are planning to build a 16 x 24 cabin next summer and I am trying to find out any information that will help us out. Neither of us have done anything like this before but we both have built many stick framed or pole barn type structures before. Just looking for some input on how we can get started. I can tell you this I will be cutting just about everything on my mill and my father has decided to use poplar that we will cut of our land, and he wants them cut on three sides. So any information on how this can be dun I would appreciate it. Now I mean anything it does not matter how small the information is even the type of fasteners, or what to use sealing joints. I just want to be prepared for what we are getting our selves into. This is going to be a big project for us and defiantly for me. One my memories as a kid growing up was to here dad talk about how he would love to have a cabin. And now I am going to make his happen. That was one of the reasons I bought a portable mill a few years back. I look forward to your input!!!!

thecfarm

That is a real nice project for you and your Father.Something to remember for years to come.My father never got to see my sawmill.He would of enjoyed it.Can't help you,but would like to see pictures as you go. The only post I have is for shingles for the roof. Don't know if you want to go this far with the cabin or not. Good luck.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=27917.msg400835;topicseen#new

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Millingman Ive built 13 log homes so far and about 8 stick framed houses Is the place going to be for year round living or a holiday cabin I'm willing to help in anyway possible You should get a copy of the Low Cost Log Home available through log home living mag in the US this will give you a good idea of whats needed for a start there is another book called The Modular Log Home Ill try to get the authors name for you If you have any questions just let Me know

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Don P

Chris, I think you're referring to "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam", James Mitchell  :)

Do some searching through past posts here as well, there's a fair amount of information in older posts on this board.

Meadows Miller

thats the one I was thinking of  ;) :D ;D ;D

witterbound

Go buy a good book about how to build a house.  Then start thinking about every little part of the project, think about it -- material, logistics, labor, cost, etc.  If you break it down into smaller parts that you can get your arms around it will be less overwhelming.  Then plan, plan, plan out everything before you cut or buy any materials. 

WAGZ

I was just out to beautiful Gabriola Island , B.C. this spring for the Log Building course taught by the Author of "the craft of Modular Post and  Beam".....it was absolutely awesome!!!....what a great instructor,  but more to the point here, I would definately agree, go out and get yourself a copy of his book, it's full of so much handy , easy to understand info for  someone in your position.....
I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Stephen1

figure out what you want, sbhishop, & pappy in maine have built what you are thinking, flattened on 2 sides, stacked & spiked, especially if you are not near inspectors, they tend to complicate things, but also you keep you safe.

Cheers, 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Meadows Miller

Quote from: zopi on November 11, 2008, 10:05:52 PM
Spend some time in the gym... :D

Or buy a good loader or truck mounted crane in other words Zopi

Chris

Thehardway

Is it true Yellow (tulip) poplar you plan to use?  Nice to saw and work but will split wide and all the way to the heart as it dries.  Some one mentioned putting a kerf cut on one side of the log (top or bottom) as they are stacked.  This makes the drying check hidden and predictive.  Rot resistance of poplar logs is not great when exposed to elements so make sure you have a plan for protecting them.  Learn to use leverage and balnce and your life will be much easier.  Do lots of reading.  A small tractor is worth its weight in gold. Good luck and enjoy.  You are joining a rare breed of self-reliant folks these days.  It is very rewarding.  Many time you may get discouraged and think of giving up but if you stick with it you will have a heirloom to pass on and a real sense of reward.

PS.  Might sound stupid but make a model with lincoln logs or somthing like it on a scale.  It will help you plan out the # of courses and distances etc.  Models can save you a lot of time and money. 

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

zopi

Quote from: Meadows Miller on November 13, 2008, 07:24:42 AM
Quote from: zopi on November 11, 2008, 10:05:52 PM
Spend some time in the gym... :D

Or buy a good loader or truck mounted crane in other words Zopi

Chris

split the difference...use a gin pole.

uh....Gym pole? <G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

Gday

:D :D :D :D Zopi I like your style mate  ;) :D :D

Chris

Jayson

I wanted to mention another good book. The author is Mike McClintock (not sure about that spelling) and the title is Alternative House Building. Mike is very straight forward and speaks in layman's terms. Of all the books I use I find myself pulling this one off the shelf most often.
    After preliminary drawings, you are going to make sure you have the materials to build what you want. That means taking an inventory of your trees. You can do alot of that from the ground. I enjoy this part alot because first of all it does not take alot of tools. Secondly because you get to start visualizing the parts in your building. You are going to need to take notes about length, tip and butt widths(this will help you determine stack height and the number of courses you will need)and what I call character notes (ie. woodpecker holes, storm injury, burls, s shaped etc.). Catalog this stuff and label your trees. Then take this info back to the drafting room and determine what changes you may have to make.     good luck

Brad_bb

You didn't specifically say you wanted a log cabin.  If you would like to timberframe, get signed up for a spring course now!  After a good course, many people go on to build their own structures.  If you timberframe, you then have to decide how you want to do the walls and insulate, SIPS, natural, spray foam, fiberglass...   What look do you want?  Log?  Timberframe trusses?  Of course I'm partial to the timberframe for several reasons.  Also you don't need as many trees.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Polly

:P :P 8)   foxfire books volume one you can find them on eBay i think their 8 books in the series they were written by a high school class from the applaction section of Georgia or NC volume one i think was published in the late 1950s or early 60s all the info in them is factual from interviews the students made with old people  if you want to build a rock chimney build a moonshine still can blackberries build a sawmill or just read for pleasure i suggest you find a set especially volume one for log cabin building you ain't making no money talking to me so get started  :D :D 8)

sbishop

I see Stephen1 mentionned my name so i better jump on this thread!  8)

Well for starters...get yourself a few books...i think i have 3 or 4 beside the toilet that i read everyday  :D

How i started off was measuring and marking all the tree's i was going to cut, did this in the winter...took note of how many and diameter...did some calculations base on those numbers to make sure i had enough(guesstimate).

Once i had all the trees cut, peeled and yarded I had a guy come in and flatten 2 sides(top&bottom)...then I stack the logs for 2 months, make sure they are stack straight!

now comes some decision you are going to have to make!

-what size of sills and joist? how are you going to support the cabin off the ground?

-what type of corner are you going to use?
     -I used the same type as Pappy....v-plank corner

-How are you going to attach the logs?
    -I used 1/2" rebar, pre-drilled the hole

-What type of roof framing are you going to do?
    -I used 2X10 rafters + 4 gables....purlin's are nice!

-What type of roofing material?
    metal-asphalt...

-Windows?

Boys i could go on and on...hopefully i've helped you out a bit!

if you have some time, here is the thread i've started!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22343.0.html

Good luck and be safe!

Sbishop

Brad_bb

I don't think he clearly defined whether he wanted log or timberframe, did he?

Thehardway

Brad,

I took his mention of logs sawn on 3 sides as an indication that he was leaning toward a "D" log style log cabin but I could have read into it. 
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

sbishop

Ironman

Guys,

For years I have had the dream of buying forty acres, setting up a portable mill and building a house.  How realistic is that?  When you talk about Timberframe building, is it possible that a home can be 99% timber construction from native pine and oak?

Thanks!

Jesse
Jesse Sewell
Ironmart Sales
888-561-1115

okie

Quote from: Ironman on November 20, 2008, 01:20:20 PM
Guys,

For years I have had the dream of buying forty acres, setting up a portable mill and building a house.  How realistic is that?  When you talk about Timberframe building, is it possible that a home can be 99% timber construction from native pine and oak?

Thanks!

Jesse

It's as possible and realistic as you make it. If you have the trees and a mill then there aint a whole lot to a house frame that you can not make yourself. That is exactly what I am working on, only I couldnt afford 40 acres.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Ironman

Well I can't right now either, but I'm hoping after the US government goes bankrupt, land well be real cheap. :D
Jesse Sewell
Ironmart Sales
888-561-1115

Brad_bb

thehardway,
...and maybe I'm biased too. ;D 

Thank You Sponsors!