iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granberg Small Log Mill tip/trick

Started by tyb525, September 26, 2008, 09:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Last night, after sawing a few boards off of a red elm I had, I came up with an idea. I knew that with the small log mill, which only clamps on one place on the bar (by the motor), that the bar could flex, since the tip was unsupported.

Today I went and tried it. I cut a short scrap, about 1x2, the distance between the plastic shield and the bar. I put a bigger piece of wood as wide as the mill, across the top, for support. I got a small clamp (with rubber pads so the vibration doesn't affect it) and clamped it all together.

I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. I guess it is basically like an Alaskan now, only smaller.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kevin

A problem with only one end of the bar in a mount is the bar not being square, it will cut on a slight angle.

tyb525

I measured everything to get as close to square as I could. The main reason I did this was to reduce or eliminate the bar flexing.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!