iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now I Went An Did It!

Started by Foxtrapper, September 26, 2008, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxtrapper

I been wanting a mill soooo bad, that this is what I bought:

Well, guess I will post photo's later..

It will handle a log 30" X 30'.  Has hydric up/down/feed.  Currently has an 18hp kolher engine, but also got a 25hp with it, which is being serviced at the local small engine shop.
Need to make a blade guard for it as well.

Any ideas on how to remove water from a hydric reseivor tank that has no bottom plug, and has the pump mounted inside it?
2014 WoodMizer LT28

StorminN

Good going Foxtrapper!

Quote from: Foxtrapper on September 26, 2008, 02:04:02 PMAny ideas on how to remove water from a hydric reseivor tank that has no bottom plug, and has the pump mounted inside it?

If the tank doesn't have a drain... get a bucket, drill a hole in the bottom of the tank (make sure you miss the pump)... drain the tank, then drill a bigger hole and tap it / weld a piece of pipe to it, to make the tank have a drain from now on!

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Foxtrapper

Yup that was my thinking too.  Gonna be a job though.

My photos are too big to put in the gallery.  I'll have to try to resize them.
2014 WoodMizer LT28

thecfarm

While you're resizing the photos,can you tell us what kind it is?Congratulations on the mill.You will enjoy it.What are you building?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Foxtrapper

Actually, someone built this one at home.  Whoever did it knew how to weld and engineer things, as it's rugged built, and thoughtfully engineered.  I can't wait to get it going and see what it will do.  I had thought of trying to build my own, but, I got this one for less than the cost of the steel to make one.  I'll get on those pics. :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

2014 WoodMizer LT28

Robert Long

Welcome foxtrotter

"Any ideas on how to remove water from a hydric reseivor tank that has no bottom plug, and has the pump mounted inside it?"

Yup........Turn the mill upside down! :D :D

You'll enjoy that mill a lot!

Robert

Foxtrapper

"Yup........Turn the mill upside down!"

Would that be the whole mill, or just the carriage ;D? 

"You'll enjoy that mill a lot!"

I sure hope so...just gotta alittle work to do is all.. :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

bandmiller2

Foxsnapper,congrats on the mill,it looks well made.Best thing on that hyd tank is to remove it put a drain in the bottom with a small ball valve and flush it good with kerosene.That way after its been sitting you could check for water/condensation easily.Find out how that water got in the tank and correct it.Try different bands many manuf. will send you a sample free you will find one you like the best.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wannabeonetoo

Bandmiller...how the heck do you get "freebie" anything  ;)!!!!! (Other than the wealth of information found here 8))
   Curious minds want to know ???
          Steve

Foxtrapper

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 27, 2008, 07:40:08 AM
Foxsnapper,congrats on the mill,it looks well made.Best thing on that hyd tank is to remove it put a drain in the bottom with a small ball valve and flush it good with kerosene.That way after its been sitting you could check for water/condensation easily.Find out how that water got in the tank and correct it.Try different bands many manuf. will send you a sample free you will find one you like the best.Frank C.

Can these be made to any lenght?  I will get you a measurement and pm it to you.  Thanks. :)

I was hoping someone would mention what to flush the tank with.  The last time I had problems with water in the hyd was on an AC 5050 tractor.  I drained the transmission and filled it with disiel fuel, ran it for awhile then drained and refilled.  That worked well.
2014 WoodMizer LT28

bandmiller2

Fox T,bands can be made up any legnth,they buy it in a long roll cut and weld to cust. specs.Most homemade mills use the same legnth band as the mill they took measurements off.You usally get a band and build a mill to fit it.Kreosene and diesel are next of kin your choice.                                                                                                                                 Steve,call the folks that sell the bands,talk to someone important pick their brain and ask to try one before you buy a box.Their is always someone their that knows and can help if your having problems or at least thinks they can.Be charming Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wannabeonetoo

Thanks Frank,that sounds good , explaining your situation and problems makes good sense .The "be charming" part probably goes a loooooong way too  ;D.
   Steve

logwalker

Congrats on the mill. As to the water you could use a oil change hand pump. Put the pickup at the bottom of the tank and pump it out. Heat the tank with a propane brush burner and boil off the last remaining water. Be careful of course.  ;)

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Meadows Miller

Gday

Foxtrapper congrats on the new mill  8) 8) 8) Hmmm 30" 30' I wouldnt mind being able to cut timber that length again  ::) at least You can access a larger market for timber  ;) with that mill . With the Hyd tank Id go with the other Blokes that said drill it out and weld a drain plugg in it it will make Your life alot easer in the future Good luck with the new Toy errr I mean peice of Equipment give it a coat of jam and it will come up looking like New.

Reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Foxtrapper

I'm thinking that putting in a plug would sure save some headaches later on.  I borrowed a buddies sandblaster, and plan to give her a good coat of paint....now...ur....what color... :D.
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Tom

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!