iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found something....

Started by thedeeredude, September 25, 2008, 06:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Sharpness ;D  I must say I never knew sharp tools until now.  Lee Valley grinder jig, lovely aluminum oxide grinding wheel, and some stones and the secret.......stropping.  The grinding jig is nicely made and Lee Valley had a free shipping deal over the weekend. 8)  The wheel is a 6 inch blue aluminum oxide wheel from the local woodcraft.  The stones are a Norton India stone, 320 grit and a hard Arkansas, not hard black or hard translucent, its called hard select, a supposedly lower grade of stone.  The strop, $3 scrap leather and a scrap of beech with green rouge.  The results?  I have very little hair left on my arm after testing my plane blades and chisels.  I don't know if its ok to post links to the products mentioned or not so if you want to know where to get some of this stuff just pM me.  Thanks for listening, I'm quite excited that I figured it out 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  I can't wait to put the stuff to work.

thedeeredude

Well, I hand planed some maple tonight.  It had a bit of curl at one end on a piece and the other was straight grained.  The straight grained planed lovely and the other piece didn't go too bad.  A pile of shavings and a good workout later I have ambrosia maple vise jaws. 8)

Max sawdust

Glad you got a system that works for you 8)
I am addicted to SHARP ;D
Once you use a truly sharp tool it makes the work pleasurable ;)
Glad you found a method that works for you. 

Yes the Blue wheels are great, they run real cool and do not burn tools as easily.  Congrats, it is a major accomplishment many never archive.  (Look at all the gadgets and articles on sharpening.. :))
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

thedeeredude

I prefer to keep it simple. Grind, sharpen on a coarse stone then a fine stone then strop.  After the grinder it takes all of 10 minutes to get them razor sharp.  I dont want to pay 400 bucks for a tormek that is slower than hand sharpening.

moonhill

Has any one used a buffing wheel with a compound for sharpening?  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

thedeeredude

Quote from: moonhill on September 28, 2008, 08:40:35 AM

My shop teacher used to do that.  The woodworking catalogs have hard felt wheels for that purpose.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32983&cat=1,43072,43080&ap=1

Max sawdust

Quote from: moonhill on September 28, 2008, 08:40:35 AM

IMO...you can round edges with a buffing wheel, which is fine for gouges and the like, but not for chisels or plane irons.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

moonhill

Max, that was what I am afraid of.  I have not tried this method but an experimenting with sandpaper and leather strops, with compound.  Some new tools, chisels and axes, come highly polished and I am guessing they are done on a buffing wheel, for the whole bevel is done to a mirror finish.  It is unlikely it was accomplished with a stone or such.  I will still need to satisfy my curiosity some day soon.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

getoverit

I use a lot of chisels in my guitar building and have found the Veritas honing guide to make my chisels "scarey sharp". Once the angle is correct, it only takes a few passes by hand to get them back into good cutting condition.

Finding the right kind of chisels that will hold an edge was the hard part, but I finally found some that work well for me.

It is good to hear there is some other way to sharpen planer blades too. Thanks for sharing!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

zopi

Use a fine stone, then go to a piece of 1/2" tempered glass plate, spray contact adhesive, and use
2000, then 3000 grit wet or dry paper, hone in a figure 8, then flip the glass and put out
some ultra fine auto body polishing compound and go to work again...

don't forget to debur the back of the angle..

Works well for flat single bevels like chisels and plane irons...curl the hair off your arm..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thedeeredude

All my chisels are oldies.  A couple buck brothers and some other off brands, but they're old and made with good steel.  I get the old chisels for under $10 so its hard to spend 30-60 a piece on new ones for me.

getoverit

When I go to flea markets and yard sales, odd shaped chisels are the one thing I look for. One day I will run across the one yard sale where I will find all of the chisels of my dreams.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Handy Andy

I grind mine on a bench grinder, then use a honing guide and water stones.  They work pretty well for plane irons.  I keep my water stones soaking in some of my wife's plastic containers with lids. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!