iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dont do this! (or that either!)

Started by Jeff, September 25, 2008, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

So far this past couple weeks I have lost all the hide  on one knuckle moving a rock when burlkraft was here, run the corner of a sheet of steel roofing into my head, hit the stops and the log clamp on the mill, threw a blade off gigging back, "pulled something" running through the woods full tilt when I thought that Tammy had had an accident with the Quad. (turned out it only staled and we only heard the first part of her yell for help)  But what I did the other day hurt the worst.

The winch on my mill quit so Tammy had brought up the warn winch we had on our flat bed trailer.  I took the old winch off and put the warn on and was back in business. I had sawed a couple logs and was winching on a 12 foot aspen when I looked over to the winch and saw where the circuit breakers were, that the black tape they were wrapped in was on fire.  I hurried over there and grabbed the winch cable to pull it out of the way to see what was going on.  Just as I did that, about 6 inches of it turned white/orange hot.  needless to say, the portion I was hanging on to left an instant braided brand across my fingers.  Today two of the fingers have turned to open sores because the burns were so deep.

What I did was neglected to notice that the old winch was wound over the top, and the new one was wound underneath. THis made the cable run three inches closer to the frame even though everything was mounted the same. The cable rubbed through the tape on the circuit breakers on the power contact strip an dead shorted, on the hot side of the breaker.   I snapped a picture of it after I re-wound the winch.  I'm now keeping my logrite gloves on unless I have to take them off. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

DanG, son, and I thought I had it bad in Texas. :o
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

OOwwch!!
DanG sounds like it hurts..just to hear you tell about it.

Amazing the pain that comes from getting smarter.

Hope you keep the sores from getting infected, and heal up fast.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

Better start learning from these events.  You'll find that the older you get, the slower you heal!   :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

crtreedude

Jeff,

This is why I stay in my office when real work is being done...  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

I'm actually having a good time even if I'm a bit gimpy. Have built 70 feet of fence, sawn more with my mill then I had sawn all the previous times combined. Found out that I DO know how to sharpen a saw because the saw is running well and all the blades I have were self sharpened. I cleared 120 yards of trail yesterday for Pete. I have learned thatI would be lost without my Logrite tools. I would never be able to accomplish what I have without my arch and the other tools. That arch takes a beating and never complains, unlike its owner. :D  I've completed multiple other projects as well. Today, I'm going back down to do some more logging. 8)

LeeB

You suppose anybody makes a kevlar full body suit?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Probably break an arm trying to get it on. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Toolman

Jeff,

All that learning you've been gettin, you'll be a genius in no time. :D :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

WDH

Banged, bruised, and cut, but keeps on kicking like the energizer bunny ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dewwood

Tuition for higher education continues to go up every year! :D
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

pasbuild

Ya didn't hurt dat trigger finger did ya?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

thecfarm

I will have to send you some good luck.I just heard from the grape vine,that a neighbor future son-in-law dropped a tree on his future FIL house and than the FIL came out and some how the SIL hit him with the skidder and broke the FIL leg.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: pasbuild on September 25, 2008, 09:21:50 PM
Ya didn't hurt dat trigger finger did ya?

matter of fact , thats the worst one. Luckily, Its Lynda that has to do the shootin. :)

SwampDonkey

Well, we got bears and clowns.  Now, where's the elephants?  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

They are all on the Palin thread ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Quote from: WDH on September 25, 2008, 10:43:31 PM
They are all on the Palin thread ;D.

You must not be talking about me then cause I am here.  :D :D

They say an elephant never forgets. Well I can't remember any year that I have looked forward to the day of November 5 than I do this year.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WH_Conley

Bill

Dave Shepard

Hey! That sounds an awful lot like political talk to me. Think food, and it'll all get better. Hmm, sausages, bacon, pancakes with butter and maple syrup. There, that feels better already, doesn't it. ;) ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

crtreedude

And thanks for not including grits...

crtreedude

Quote from: Jeff on September 25, 2008, 12:25:20 PM
I'm actually having a good time even if I'm a bit gimpy. Have built 70 feet of fence, sawn more with my mill then I had sawn all the previous times combined. Found out that I DO know how to sharpen a saw because the saw is running well and all the blades I have were self sharpened. I cleared 120 yards of trail yesterday for Pete. I have learned thatI would be lost without my Logrite tools. I would never be able to accomplish what I have without my arch and the other tools. That arch takes a beating and never complains, unlike its owner. :D  I've completed multiple other projects as well. Today, I'm going back down to do some more logging. 8)

I have to say I am doing a lot more field work around our home. Working in the garden, cutting up wood to barbecue and cutting our grass with a scythe. I was getting a bit soft with too much time in the office, so now I mix it up. Having launched the sawing of the wood, it is time I sit back a bit and not create more work for people...

Jeff

Yesterday I was able to get back in the tangle that was left earlier tjis year when we downed several big aspen. The ground got so wet that you just couldnt work in there.  I got everything bucked to length and got one log skidded out,sawn up and stacked.  I have probably another 1000 feet to get skidded out but to do it I have to cut up several deadfalls and move the stuff to get the arch in. Its still soft so I have to be careful.

Foxtrapper

Jeff, yur kinda like the timex watches, take a lickin and keep on tickin...Hope the rest of the year goes better for ya. ;)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Thank You Sponsors!