iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i sawed that log last nite.....

Started by ely, September 24, 2008, 09:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

that everyone is searching for. you all know the one.... the log thats makes you say man o man, or suuuweeet. the log that makes you believe that GOD does love a sawmiller. it was a pine tree that i fell on monday. the top was dead and i was not certain of the quality of wood inside. the tree made 5 logs eight feet long. anyway i sawed the two top logs first and when i got to the middle one, it was 13 inches or so and had very little taper on it. i pushed the 3/4 shim under the front on the log and it was perfect.
made some wafer thin slabs starting out and the second cut was a flitch that made 1x6's. pretty and clear lumber.
did i mention that the saw was cutting like a dream. i had to keep looking around the mill to make sure i let the log stops down all theway.i just knew i was gonna hit some steel. i think i wound up with 7 or eight 1x10 and 1 2x 10 and a few more 1x6 and 8's. i had sawn the two previous logs with a duller band that had one tooth out set,it made the deep line on the boards previously.
i put a newly sharpened band on with that log and it made it that much better.

anyway it was log we all wished we had sawn while everyone was watching us, the kind of log that sells sawmills.
just wanted to share with yall.

TexasTimbers

A log like that makes it all worth it doesn't it. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ely You gotta love those SWEET RUNS You get  ;) ;D But if it was all good going Everybody would want to become a Sawmiller  :) ;) :D :D ;D 8) just remember that you have to take the good  ;D with the bad  :( . I dont see realy good runs often but when I do I love every minite of it  ;D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dave Shepard

I had one of those to last night. I am doing a little after hours sawing for my old boss. He had an old red oak sitting on the deck that I had to get out of the way. Made a nice pile of dead clear lumber. That old manual 'Mizer will cut way smoother than the new one will. I put a six foot level on top of the cant and you couldn't have slid a light breeze under it. Those are the ones that make sawing all that locust worthwhile. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_van

I had one too the other day - A 10'  hemlock that was 18" on one end, 19" on the other - Real small knots, no shake - This log was just soooo perfect I guess someone just felt they had to drive the 2 nails into it 25 years ago...........zing, zing,  at least they were only 6's not 20's.  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

solodan

I had one of those last week too. I had a 10 foot ponderosa about 22" and needed to cut some 3"x16" for a bunch of seat tops. Well the three 3X16's  had 2 small knots each at 1/3 and 2/3 down the log. These will get cut out anyway cause the seats are 14x14 round. I think I got one jacket board with one knot, but other than that I got about a dozen more 1x8,6, and 4 clear on both sides. It sure cut nice :)

bandmiller2

Kinda like gambling you remember when you win,forget the losses.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

backwoods sawyer

This log may have been ugly on the outside but sure was nice on the inside.
It had been drug around a landing for some time then tossed on top of the burn pile when the landing was cleaned up. It took almost as long to wash the log and pick out all the gravel, as it did to mill it.
Well worth the extra effort!!!

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Meadows Miller

Gday

Backwoods thats some Dang nice Fiddleback figuring it that log You got in the pic  8) 8) 8) that looks like 80% of the logs Ive been sawing durty ugly logs but Dang nice timber well worth the effort ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!