iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV skidding on small woodlot

Started by FTD, September 23, 2008, 09:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTD

I have a small woodlot (17 Acres) it is mostly overgrown field.  There are apple trees, some old wolf pines, lots of of poplar, birch, maple, some oak and quite a bit of ash(!)  Nothing is really big.  I am looking to do some stand improvement to make room for the apples and ash.  I figure I can get some firewood out of it in the meantime.  Being in NH it is not flat.  Nothing terribly steep either.  I have a Can Am Outlander 400 Max.  It is a 29 Hp, 4WD, 8 foot long 2 seater.  I am planning on getting continuous traction chains. What have you guys used successfully for skidding logs?  I am thinking about a cone and winching with the ATV winch.  I think an arch is overkill, a skid plate too much drag and I don't really have the money for a Nichols Trailer log skidder.  What do you guys recommend?  Am I off base in my thoughts?

beenthere

I'm thinking you should give it a try, and see how well it works for you.
Have you been bringing any wood in with this machine?

My wood gathering has changed a lot over the 40 years I've been on about the same size woodlot. I used to cut the trees, and buck them up where they lay in the woods. Split with a maul, and load the wood in a two-wheel trailer to bring it up to the house area. Lots of handling...but then I had some kids to help (I get a lot of ribbing about that now that they are grown.. ;D ;D...comments like "other kids went somewhere on spring break, but we just went to the woods to do firewood").

Then I started pulling in logs with a small tractor/3pt arch/tongs. Dragged in as big a log as I could, and split at the house.

I've an ATV.. but the winch is way too slow.

I'm not real excited about an arch, as it would have to be towed back to the woods and positioned over the next log. I'd rather back up to the log, drop the tongs on it, and tow it back to the house.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

Welcome to the forum FTD!

I also think you will find the winch to slow. With the atv you have there should be plenty of power to pull the logs with an arch or cone or just process at the stump & trailer the wood out. You'll find the less the log drags on the ground the better off you are, chainsaw chain lasts much longer in clean wood.

You might want to see if you have a county forester available to help you make a managment plan. IMHO you are starting off wrong wanting to improve your Ash trees. EAB will eventually get to your area and they will all die.

Ed

FTD

Thanks for the input guys.  I would only use the ATV winch to pull logs from hard places (read as rather not drive ATV to) to where I can skid them out.  I like the idea of a 3 point hitch and tongs.  I know there are 3 points available.  I am worried about tongue weight tho' with that.  I was looking at the Nova Jack ATV pulling plate to use with the cone.

I am trying to minimize the drag on the ATV to help reduce strain on it and minimize impact on the ground from spinning tires etc.

Thanks for the point on the EAB I was unaware.

This is a new piece of property.  I need to cruise it more thoroughly myself.

Woodhog

With the ATV in the woods I find if you just cut the wood up in stove length pieces, throw them up on a brush pile to get them off the ground, I use a bogie dual wheel trailer with an 8 foot box with low sides and haul it all out in short lengths when I do the pick up trips.

It will easily haul about a 1/4 plus cord piled into the wagon box.

The sides of the box are just wired on so they can move around instead of break like an old horse wagon.

This way you get to cut your wood up when it is nice and clean and usually up off the ground when you fall it.

If you drag it out it will be all full of mud , sand rocks etc and the atv will be jumping around and sort of out of control if you are on bad bottom.

Also less dangerous than try to skid with one of those jumping jacks...

DR_Buck

Here's my solution to bringing them out of the woods.

It's from Nichols.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thecfarm

If I had to get wood out with a 4 wheeler I would cut it up in the woods if I was doing firewood.Should be able to sneak around in the woods and not even hardly tell you was there.Cut your brush down too.But you could try skidding it out too and see which way you like best.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cheyenne

I use a boski atv trailer w/power dump behind a honda 500s, works like a charm. Might be able to find a used one at a good price.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

FTD

DR_Buck,

How do you like that Nichols skidder?  Seems like you really like it.  How much "strain" do you feel it puts on your machine?  I am really chomping at the bit for one.  I am in the middle of siding my house so cash is a little low.  I thought about building one, but not sure it is worth it.  I like the one piece tubing arch.  Lot less work then a true arch and I can skid tree length roadside.  Where did you get yours?

Ironwood

Here are few of my units. The BIG arch is not used in the woods as loaded, I just drug this walnut 1/2 mile down the road and up my gravel drive (uphill included)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

js2743

ironwood with that big log hooked behind that liittle atv looks like a accident waiting to happen. i wouldnt wana get that rig headed down hill im thinking jack knife for sure.

beenthere

Quote from: js2743 on September 24, 2008, 10:49:25 PM
ironwood with that big log hooked behind that liittle atv looks like a accident waiting to happen. i wouldnt wana get that rig headed down hill im thinking jack knife for sure.

That's a Deere out front there, don'tcha know.... ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR_Buck

FTD,

Yea, I really like the Nichols unit.  But if I had it to do over, I'd buy the Logrite skidder.  Back when I bought the Nichols, Future Forestry was still doing business and Logrite hadn't taken over.  Shipping from the left coast for the FF unit was way to high.  The Nichols came out of ME if I remember correctly and the shipping was much less.   Logrite is even closer.   I have the junior Logrite skidder and it has been a great investment.   I take it on the truck to most of my jobs because I almost always find at least one log that is not where it should be when I set up the mill.   Save much grunt work.  ;D

The Nichols only lifts one end of the log and the back drags.  This keeps the logs from pushing the ATV and helps me keep it under control.  Biggest log I've moved is 20" diameter at 20' long.   This was on flat ground.   As long as the ATV can get traction I can pull it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thecfarm

DR_Buck,yes you are right about Nichols.They moved to Wilton,Maine a few years back.I bought a trailer from him to haul my tractor back and forth to The Farm before I built a house here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

FTD

Anybody ever seen or used one of these:

http://www.muts.ca/

Looks like it would be the edited  8) for a small woodlot owner.

cheyenne

To many parts to play with. The ATV wagon has power dump, brakes & a 2nd flotation axle & will take a mountain of abuse as I have pushed it ten times over. Check it out at---atvwagon.com.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Jeff

I have been working on my small wood lot and my sisters for the last 3 weeks. I would not be without my Logrite tools. I don't know how I would accomplish what I do without them. My property is as sensitive as it comes and I hardly leave a mark.  I skidded two logs out this morning and sawed them up in about the time it is taking to make this post and upload photos and video from this stupid cell phone connection. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWMHfUYCgAU

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed

Thats a nice set-up you have Jeff!   8) 8) 8)

That small arch is slick!

Ed

Norm

What kind of wood are you sawing Jeff? I'm not very familiar with the trees of the UP.

Jeff

Norm, First I was sawing Tamarack (eastern Larch). It was dead and standing yet, killed by last summers drought here. 4 days of logging, skidding and sawing and building returned this: About 75 feet of fence to help protect my food plots and the animals using them.

Now I am sawing up the aspen that we cut down this spring into framing lumber. 2 by what ever it makes.

Kevin

I wonder if Tammy knows you're working in the woods without your hard hat?

OHhhhhh  T a m m y  ;D

Nice pictures!

Norm

:D  tattletell  :D

That's a nice looking fence and some great looking framing lumber. That's one thing we lack in our area is a decent tree for making framing lumber.

beenthere

Yep Boss.

You don't need any more "headaches".   ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

Kevin

That's the thing, you never expect anything could happen.
A nearby tree failing or a branch falling would be an expected hazard, a hidden spring pole, it's a work area and when you're focussed on the work you sometimes miss the surrounding hazards.
Now, are you going to wear it or do I have to make a phone call?  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!