iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging arch build-finished & tested!

Started by Ed, September 23, 2008, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I finially decided to get building on my logging arch, so far just plugging away at it when I have a few extra minutes.....I got the tires mounted yesterday and clamped and squared the arch & tongue for welding. There's still plenty to be done, like reinforcing the tongue, getting the winch mounted and welding in some d-rings to carry the log after it's raised.
It's designed to carry a 36" max dia log.

Ed

Maineloggerkid

Really swift looking rig ya got there- we need some more pics as the build continues.

Now, the only question- When you gonna build mine? :D
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Onthesauk

Nice, looks industrial strength!  How much HP on the tractor to pull that?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ed

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on September 23, 2008, 10:35:08 AM
Really swift looking rig ya got there- we need some more pics as the build continues.

Now, the only question- When you gonna build mine? :D

Thanks! I'll keep updating the pic's as it progresses.
I'll put yours on my to do list!  :D

Quote from: Onthesauk on September 23, 2008, 10:55:06 AM
Nice, looks industrial strength!  How much HP on the tractor to pull that?

Tractor is a New Holland 2120, IIRC around 43 hp. It should pull anything that the arch will pick up with no problem. I'm waiting to see how our Deere 955 compact will pull it. Although the Deere isn't built for heavy work, it's a joy to use in the woods. It's small enough to get around without a cleared skidding trail.

Ed

tyb525

Looks real nice and heavy duty, I need one of those.  8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

Looks real nice.Hope you paint it blue.!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cheyenne

Nice looking rig, Gonna have fenders & mud flaps....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Ironwood

I just got out of the woods with a 755 JD w/ a 5' brush hog and a FEL to push the trees over before wacking them (saplings and smallish stuff). That thing was unGodly stable, I never thought it would do so well offf angle. The tires are calcium filled which helps.

One note on the arch, it looks plenty strong............BUT you might want to consider a pair "struts" bracing from the mid horizontal down to the back of the hub on each side. I have found that you can generate a TON of odd forces when working these unit in real life, especially w/ 43 horses.  The arch in the first picture is smallish, but it is all relative to how much HP and weight you are yanking.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

RSteiner

Quote from: Ironwood on September 24, 2008, 10:29:16 PM
I just got out of the woods with a 755 JD w/ a 5' brush hog and a FEL to push the trees over before wacking them (saplings and smallish stuff). That thing was unGodly stable, I never thought it would do so well offf angle. The tires are calcium filled which helps.

One note on the arch, it looks plenty strong............BUT you might want to consider a pair "struts" bracing from the mid horizontal down to the back of the hub on each side. I have found that you can generate a TON of odd forces when working these unit in real life, especially w/ 43 horses.  The arch in the first picture is smallish, but it is all relative to how much HP and weight you are yanking.

Ironwood

The exact same thing crossed my mind.  I built an arch 25 years ago from plans I saw in the Mother Earth News with a few modificatiuons.  Without the struts I think things will twist apart quicker than you think. 

The one addition I made to mine was off of the rear I installed a bracket that is vertical to hold a hand crank two speed boat type winch.  The winch has 20 feet of 1/4 aircraft cable.  With the winch I can pull a log under the arch, if I can not back over it.   Once the log is in position I can lift one end of the log off the ground with the winch to place a sling chain under the log for transport.

Usually the sling point of the first chain is some where just pass center which allows to other end of the log to be lifted by just pulling up on the front sling chain.  I did weld brackets on top of the rear support and one on the tow pole near the front to grab the chain links of the sling chain making adjusting for different log diameters easy.

Your arch looks very well made.  The doesn't matter much as long as it is green or orange.

Randy

Randy

Ed

Ironwood, there will be strut bracing on it before it ever sees the woods, thats a promise!

I still don't have the tongue & arch welded together yet....trying to find a few minutes to recheck squareness, then weld.

Y'all know there just isn't enough hours in the day.....

Quote from: cheyenne on September 24, 2008, 09:49:36 PM
Nice looking rig, Gonna have fenders & mud flaps....Cheyenne

I had thought about it.........I guess I'll wait & see how much debris it wants to throw at me!

Ed

Ironwood

If I could make one more suggestion, You cant tell in the pics, but I GREATLY perfer the heaviest channel mounting system for the front. this will enable you to alter your attachment point geometry up or down as needed, AND it is a great point for mounting a removeable wheel if winching away from the tractor, AND you can change from lunet to 2- 2 5/16 th ball depending on your preference OR tow vehical.  Smallish buckeye in the first pic, bIG walnt in the second

See the wheel in the second pic? Northern does not carry the heaviest 5 position channel, have a local shop that carries Buyers brand products order you one.

Respectfully, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

wannabeonetoo

Ironwood...this may be a stretch , but you wouldn't happen to have a set of drawings for your rig would you ?? That is a nice looking unit smiley_clapping,some slick engineering there  :P
Steve

Ironwood

Sorry, no drawings. It is basically a sized up version of the "Tractor arch" by Future Forestry (now Logrite). It is between the Hugo (discontinued) model and the Tractor arch.  The lights are reomoveable, and can be moved, and bungee corded to the rear of the log.

Ironwood

wannabeonetoo

Thanks IW ,guess I'll have to get out my sketch pad and put the thinkin' cap on (ouch !!!! thats gonna hurt  :'().
  Steve

Ed

Ironwood, I see what your saying about the hitch, very good points.

I've already got it all welded up.....for now I think I'll try it and see what happens. There were 2 reasons for doing it the way I did. I can hook my wood hauling trailer to the tractor, then pin the arch to the back of the trailer when I go to the woods. The trailer is pin type so if the arch is needed I don't have to put a ball on the tractor to use it. The pin hitch will also prevent the arch from being hooked to a truck and being towed down the highway.

Ed

RSteiner

Quote from: Ed on September 26, 2008, 09:13:40 AM
Ironwood, I see what your saying about the hitch, very good points.

I've already got it all welded up.....for now I think I'll try it and see what happens. There were 2 reasons for doing it the way I did. I can hook my wood hauling trailer to the tractor, then pin the arch to the back of the trailer when I go to the woods. The trailer is pin type so if the arch is needed I don't have to put a ball on the tractor to use it. The pin hitch will also prevent the arch from being hooked to a truck and being towed down the highway.

Ed

That is a nice idea.   8)

The only concern I would have is a ball type of coupler allows the towed item
to rotate, twist and move in every direction to a degree.  Does the pin arrangement you have allow for similar movement, if not then something might get twisted.  I like the idea of no one else being able to easily drive away with something that does not belong to them.  I had that problem with a trailer once.

Randy
Randy

Ed

Randy, yes the holes in the arch are oversize to allow for movement. The pin type hitch is an agricultural "standard" for wagons and some tow behind implements. IIRC, it's illegal on a interstate highway.  ;D

Ed

Ed

Well, I've managed to get a little bit more done on the arch.  8)

The struts (2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 3/8 angle) are all welded in. The truss (3/8 x 3) for the tongue is in place and tack welded. Now it's time to work on getting the winch and pulleys mounted.

Ed

beenthere

Ed
Looking great.
What do you think the tongue weight will be like, empty?

I often wonder what it is like getting the arch positioned over a log in the woods, when it is not flat and the woods debris/rocks, etc. are lying about.

I visualize a lot of effort moving it into place. Maybe the arch is just backed into place?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

I'll be leaving mine attached to the tractor!  :D It's bad enough to move on concrete, I don't want to try to manuver it by hand in the woods.
If I can't back it up to the log I can use the tractor & boompole to skid the log out to where it's accesable.

I'm guessing the current tongue wt is appx 80-100lbs.

Ed

metalspinner

How do you figure tongue weight?  Just put a bathroom scale under the tongue? ???
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

trapper

my stepson put a couple of angle guards in front of the wheels on mine to slide around trees when I cut a corner too short
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ironwood

Looks great, and heavy duty. Ironwood

Ed

Quote from: metalspinner on October 06, 2008, 04:36:25 PM
How do you figure tongue weight?  Just put a bathroom scale under the tongue? ???

yup, that will work. On the arch, I'm just guessing for now.

Ed

Ed

I acutally found some time over the holiday's to get the arch finished up & tested.
There wasn't really much to do...mount the winch and pulleys, weld up the heel assembly and empty another can of spray paint on it. Maybe next summer I can sandblast it and give it a respectable paint job.  :D

All in all I'm really pleased with the outcome, I had reservations on using a HF winch, so far it's holding up (pun intended).
I used a couple of old steel v-belt pulleys to run the cable on, it actually goes through the main tube and over another pulley in the rear. With the front pulley and slinging the log, it gets me a 4:1 reduction on the lift. I was surprised how easy the log lifted.
I did get carried away wit the first log......just a little long  :D It was trying to lift the Ranger up off the ground.  :D All total I hauled 6 logs with it, other than the Ranger not being overly manuverable while backing up to the log, I'm happy with it!

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!