iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Good Catch..

Started by tyb525, September 21, 2008, 09:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Today I decided I would go find some logs for firewood. So I found and felled a couple (dead) red elms today, both about 16" butt,  and skidded them up to the barn. Then I went back out to the woods, and I didn't feel like searching to whole woods for more dead elms.

While I was out there, I noticed a few medium-diameter, tall walnuts. I chose what looked like the best one, and cut it. It fell perfectly.
I cut the top of and hooked it up to the tractor. I figured I would have to buck the truck into smaller sections. I had my doubts whether the tractor would pull it out of the woods un-bucked, but it finally made it after a few tense wheelies. Once I got it out of the woods it was no problem.

I left the crotch on the very end, hopefully it has some nice grain in it.

The overall dimensions were 19" diameter butt, 16" top (before the crotch), approx. 40' long.

This may seem like no big deal to some of you guys, and I'm sure you've cut bigger, but this is the first big, valuable piece of timber I've cut, and it went along without a hitch.

I don't think I want to cut it with my chainsaw mill, since it has a lot more waste, and my saw is pretty underpowered for milling.
I'm probably gonna find a bandsawyer somewhere around here to saw it up for me.
If someone is in east central indiana and does custom sawing, let me know.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WH_Conley

No more taper than that is a nice tree. Pretty much same tree I will tell you about.

Before you you cut to length, seal the ends and call buyers. Could be that it is more valuable to them than to you.

Case in point. A few years ago I cut a cherry tree and had it laying on the landing. I did not cut to length, Buyer wanted it all one length.

After sold the tree was $1500.00 more from this one buyer than all other bids.

That was when cherry was hot and the the log was close to  perfect as you could get. If you don't have any buyers there give me a holler and I will try to dig up this guys info.
Bill

ibbob

You need to hitch lower on the tractor to keep the front end down.   Mounted drawbar would be first choice.   Low and slow from the 3 point cross bar would be second.   Up high on the 3rd point, like in your pic, makes for too much leverage.

I don't have a bandy mill, but if you want to bring them up we could run them through and stack the lumber right back on your truck.
Bob

SwampDonkey

Just think what 20 years woulda yielded on that tree, "young feller".  :(    ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

ibbob, you're right, I should've chained it to the bottom on the crane attatchment, but I still wanted to be able to lift the end off of the ground a little, so it didn't drag too much. I have experience with the tractor, and the wheel never came off more than an inch or two, once I got out on flatter ground it was fine. I just need to get a logging arch, but that'll do for now. I could've also bucked into shorter lengths, 12' or whatever, and it would've been no problem as far as the front of the tractor being light.

SwampDonkey, you're also right. We have about 50 acres of woods though, and there are a lot more walnuts like that, big and small. I could've let it grow. I guess it was kinda an "impulse cut" (that doesn't mean it was hastily done, I did it as safely as I knew how and thought it through).(edit) I didn't want to try to cut a big one because I don't think I'm experienced enough to cut bigger trees. I can definitely use the walnut lumber though, maybe keep some for my own woodworking, and sell the rest.

I guess as I get older I'll learn more about what and what not to cut, and when. I'm hoping to get into the business of sawing though, maybe as a side-job.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dale Hatfield

it is real easy to run out of wood cutting a small tree. They leave very little room to fix a scew up. They also dont have much of any room for a lifting wedge if needed.
In directional felling you can do more with a larger tree than a small pole. That is you can overcome lean weight and change felling direction to some degree as each tree has its limits as what can be done with it.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

tyb525

Thanks for the info Dale, I just keep learning more and more from you guys on this forum.

Thank You Sponsors!