iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone running a Cooks AC 36 or Large Baker portable sawmills ?

Started by Meadows Miller, September 20, 2008, 09:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Just thinking about a Cooks ac 36 in a super  production package or a Baker sawmill and just wanted to find out what You think of them Any information mainly in a production and maint point of view. the backup support looks good  and the equipment seems well manufatured Im thinking  about getting one to consolidate My production untill I compleate My meadows sawmill .then use it to saw only high grade  and long length timber up to 26' .
I am also looking at a new turnkey Meadows auto but at $250k landed Im looking at a cheaper more versitile option for the time being as I dont realy want to double up on having 2 of the same type of mill as yet .

I have owned a bandsaw mill before for 6 years a fully manual 10 hp jonsered that I easly  averaged  1800bft + per day in pine in 1 1/2 boards  I know bandsaw maint  well and only have the following question how long does it take to sharpen a band on a Cooks sharpener ? As I rember on the little sharpener it would take under 15 min to grind the band while I set the previous one that had been sharpend .

I am only intrested in a Cooks or Baker mill ( Ive used the orange ones alot ) but Im a four poster Man If Im buying another Band Sawmill This sawmill will be sawing Radiata pine 95% of the time .
Any information will be greatly appreciated Thanks Guys

Reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

cantcutter

The cooks catclaw sharpener will fly through a band in about 5 minutes, but only does a good job if you slow it down so it takes about 20 minutes. Thats on a 14' 5" band.

My next mill will be a cooks. The only down side to them that I can see is the small throat size when compared to other mills.

kelLOGg

I've had about the same experience as cantcutter. My bands are 14 feet and I like to take 2 light passes that take 15 - 20 min.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

backwoods sawyer

I have been around the Cook, Baker, LT-300, Select double cut and my money would be on the Select double cut for a stationary unit. The 4" bands hold up better over time then the 2" bands. They also have a good control panel with set works. They also have a debarker that actually debarks the whole log.
Just my two cent worth!

http://www.selectsawmill.com/index.htm
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ADAMINMO

Shoot a PM over to Tom and/or Todd as they both have a baker and would probably be able to answer any questions you may have about a Baker mill from their experience. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with and I will be glad to help in any way I can.
Thanks,
Adam

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks Guys .Adaminmo I was waiting for You to tune in I was going to send You a pm (still will) about the Baker mill  ;)Ill be sending Tom and Todd one as well  ;D. I dont realy have any Huge  ??? as Ive been around sawmills since I was 2yo Ive seen the Baker portable systm in operation overhere at Austimber 2000 ahh to be 19 again should have brought it then:D :D and think either sawmill will do the job Im looking for Like I said that the meadows is a good mill but Im looking to add some flexability to My sawmill sofar ive done everything out of My own pocket and I am having A hard time justfing laying out $7900 a month in payments with support equipment. When Ive got the same thing sitting in my yard that only needs finishing off but like anything I do I want to do it properly .

If that means buying a bandsawmill because the bank would prefer to finance a new Mill and finishing the meadows of with my own money over the next year or so.
This option also means that I dont have to put anything else up as collateral for the finance which is why Im liking it the more I think about it Only owing $120k for mill and loader sitts alot better with me at $2500 a month it would be less if I wasnt buying the second loader but when I think about the amount of times Ive needed the second machine It makes sence to just get it at the same time.

Plus having the ability to run either static or portable will let me run outside of My current 100mile cartage limit ive passed up on some excellent timber just because it was out ecconomic cartage distance . As Ive been static since the bandsaw got stolen. :'( as I could just tow it to the job and saw untill I got a load together then get it picked up .

Reguards Chris

ADAMINMO

Shoot me over a pm. I will be glad to help in any way I can.
Adam

ADAMINMO

Did you get ahold of either of those guys and get your questions answered? Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Adam

Banjo picker

Give me about a month or so , as I just made the down payment on a Cooks Ac 36 yesterday.....
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

DanG

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on that new mill, Banjo Picker!  I've never seen a Cook's mill before, but I hear they are fine machines.

Hey, theres a bunch of others on here that fancy themselves to be pickers.  Y'all oughta get together. ;) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new Mill Banjopicker  8) 8) 8)
I shouldent be far behind You once I make up my mind on wich way im going

Reguards Chris McMahon

P.s I wouldnt mind hearing that get together Im a bit of a banjo fan Myself ;) ;D 8)

Banjo picker

Thanks for the welcome folks.....I am looking forward to getting it...it will probably be a long month.....But I feel better after I finally made my mind up.....I didn't know I would find pickers on a forestry site.....Again thanks for the welcome!!!!! 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Handy Andy

I think Horselogger has a AC 36.  He had a mp32 that I bought from him a couple years ago, said it wasn't big enough for his operation.  Only thing wrong with the mp32 is it doesn't have hydraulics.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

brdmkr

Hey Picker,

I grew up in your neck of the woods.  Just across the line in Selmer TN.

Welcome to the forum.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Banjo picker

Not too far through the woods....the way the crow flies.....thanks for the greetings....this is the first time I ever joined a forum like this....I like it.....Especially the little words of wisdom at the bottom of the page....Keeping a log of some....may plagerize some of them...Tim     

Meadows Miller

Gday

How are You going Brdmkr You got that saw of Yours singing well again Mate ;) 8)

Handy Andy how do you find the Mp 32 as a little  mill  And how olds Yours ?

Banjo dont think about the wait on Your New Saw  to much  ;) ;D the time will Fly  :o 8) 8) Ill have to wait 8 to 12 weeks fo mine when I decide wich way Im going  :'( :'(  Dang Sea being in the road and all  ;) :D :D :D
With the quotes Ive seen a heap I realy like including Yours .If your going to be dumb you gotta be tough :D :D  It reminds Me of some of the dumb things Ive done in my life but I have got a good song that sums that up Paul Kellys Ive Done All the DUMB THINGS  ;) :D :D ;D
Also Im finding ths a great place to be on lots of great people and great advice as I thought I was the only one with Logs To Lumber Addiction untill 2 months ago

Reguards Chris

brdmkr

Quote from: Meadows Miller on September 25, 2008, 11:40:01 AM
Gday

How are You going Brdmkr You got that saw of Yours singing well again Mate ;) 8)

It is running great MM.  Putting on a properly tensioned blade made all the difference.

Picker, I will likely get up your way over the holidays.  I'll try to remember to give you a yell.  Maybe we can get a cup of coffee or something.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Banjo picker

DanG

A little tip for ya, Banjo Picker:  Get Brdmkr to bring the coffee.  He not only saw's lumber, but he roasts his own coffee on a roaster he built himself.  It is some GOOOOOD stuff! ;)

Oh yeah, you're gonna need a break before that new mill gets there, so you oughta saddle up and ride down to Moultrie, Ga along about Oct. 14.  They're gonna have this big Agriculture Expo with all kinds of stuff to see, including sawmills.  There will be a bunch of us there, and there just might be a little pickin' around the campfire one night. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

DanG, I will definitely bring some of my home roasted.  I hope to make to the expo on the 16th myself.  I suppose y'all will be all worn out by then.  I just want be able to make it earlier.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Hmmmm its abit early for Me to head over Your way at the moment  :( but Im thinking about going to Sawlex next may are  any of You Boys thinking of heading there next year  ??? ??? Ive also asked Amberwood Duncans thinking about going to there is also a coupple of My other sawmilling  Mates thinking about going aswell  8)

Brdmkr that coffee of Yours sounds like some Dang good brew  ;) ;D I love my coffee  8) 8) 8) dang it im a bit of an addict  ::) ::) ;) :D :D ;D

Chris

Banjo picker

Quote from: DanG on September 25, 2008, 11:47:23 PM
A little tip for ya, Banjo Picker:  Get Brdmkr to bring the coffee.  He not only saw's lumber, but he roasts his own coffee on a roaster he built himself.  It is some GOOOOOD stuff! ;)

down to Moultrie, Ga along about Oct. 14.  They're gonna have this big Agriculture Expo with all kinds of stuff to see, including sawmills.  be a little pickin' around the campfire one night. ;D

How about a little more on this Expo....and just where is Moultrie Ga located.....wifes been rearanging things and i can't find the atlas.......It will take me a few days to get it back rearanged to the way I like it....where I can find my stuff...Tim

DanG

Moultrie is about 40 miles N of the Fla line, and a bit west of the center.  It is a bit of a trek from where you are, but well worth it if you're into that sort of thing.  There is a little thread about it down in the Outdoor section, under Shows, Events etc.  It's kind of a big deal to some of us that live down thisaway, and we always have a grand time.

Just Google Sunbelt Expo for the info on the show itself. :)

Handy Andy

Hi Meadows, about my mp32, it's not an old mill, Horselogger had only had it a few months when I got it from him.  It's 25 hp, Kohler, 19" bandwheels, maximum cut is a 32" log, built simple and heavy.  Have had no problems, except trying to cut bigger logs than will fit through it.  Take my chainsaw and just cut off what it takes to get it by.  Only thing is I wish they would use a stiffer drive belt, as it just has a belt tightener, and you need to throttle down before throwing the tightner off, or it will throw off the belt.  On an old combine with a similar setup, they always used a stiff belt.  The belt on mine is soft.  The cook company is good at telling you how to solve any problem, they have good service.  The warranty period was about over by the time I got mine, but they are good at answering your questions anyway.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks for All the info on the Baker mills in the PMs Tom and Adam .
Also Tom I realy liked Your site it had plenty of picks drool I mean look at  ;) :D liked the picks of the fatwood pine I havent milled any since I was 16  ::) It was a nice timber and cut well whish id gotten ahold of more than the 12 trees tho :D

Thanks Andy I just got all the Info from Cooks today I was just thinking if i head this way with things that Ill probly be able to fit a 42' cut  25 hp mp32 mill in the 40' container aswell   ;) :D no point paying for empty space in the freight And dad and I can use it to do long timber and dovetail log homes with aswell
as I also have 2 1/2 acre blocks in town that Ive been wanting to build 2 homes on since I brought the blocks when I was 18yo  ::) as 1 house will easly cover the $13k the extra the mill will cost  ;) I grew up in a dovetail log home that dad built when I was a kid and have allways wanted one .theres that addicition again wanting to make round things square  :D :D
And Ill just keep the ac3662t super production pack as a std 21 cut mill for my production work and just do what most mills do over here which is charge doubble for anything over 20 long .not that id charge that much extra  :D :D

Im about 95% sure Ill be heading back to a band sawmill for the next year or so for cutting all my timber on and setting the Meadows up just the way I want it to mill the lower grade garden sleepers and timber and keep the band fulltime on high grade sawing

Its still going to be a Dang hard decision between a Baker and a Cooks Sawmill  ::) :D

Reguards Chris McMahon

Thank You Sponsors!