iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting White Pine next to a well??

Started by wannabeonetoo, September 07, 2008, 03:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabeonetoo

HERE IS A QUESTION FOR THE PLANTING PROS.
My wife has a garden plan drawn up by a landscape designer and they have 3 eastern white pines to be planted near our well (it's a dug well approx. 25ft. dp.).
The closest one is about 10'6'' from the centre of the well.  Is this too close to plant?  Are the roots invasive?
  Steve

tyb525

I know willows can be invasive, and I figure most other trees are also to a certain extent.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

rebocardo

Roots generally grow as far as the branches on just about any tree except maybe a fig.

I guess what type of well it is matters too.

Fieldstone well about three feet across, spring well with cement sides like a cistern, pump well with 3" pipe?

Still, I would say that is far too close if the top of the well is above ground or open.

Ron Scott

The tree will become a future problem for the well site as the tree enlarges over time. The closer it is to the well the sooner it will become a problem. If this is going to remain an active well for some time, a minimum distance of 25-30 feet might be better.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!