iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

357xp compression?

Started by John Mc, September 17, 2008, 02:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Can anyone tell me what is considered normal compression for a 357xp?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

I would guess 150 - 160 stock

John Mc

Thanks. I'm looking at a used one (stock). The owner says he checked it at 145. Sounds at least in the range of your estimate?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

Will he let you pull the muffler and have a look inside? His 'compression gauge' might be optimistic. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Actually, I'd be taking a gamble and buying it based on photos. He's a long way from me. Still not sure if I want to make the leap without actually being able to put my hands on it first.

cheyenne

Home of the white buffalo

Cut4fun

Quote from: John Mc on September 18, 2008, 09:42:57 PM
Actually, I'd be taking a gamble and buying it based on photos. He's a long way from me. Still not sure if I want to make the leap without actually being able to put my hands on it first.

If it is a deal you might want to look further into it. The 357 2 years ago was $499, now I see them for $589-$629.
Just curious , whats he asking on a stock 357 asking price?  I buy saws over the net on seen all the time from Vancouver - Nova Scotia and all the way back down to TX. I have only been lied to once in 2 years by a person in Ind 4 hours away.

John Mc

With a 20" bar and chain, the local dealers here are asking $735 (as of summer 2008). I see eBay deals on new ones at $610 (w/ bar and chain). I don't know how these guys are getting away with it with Husky pulling the plug on internet dealers a while ago. I assume they are not Husky dealers, but they must be getting dealer prices somehow.

A 359 ($517 locally w/ bar and chain) is probably the more logical choice for me. I don't do enough cutting to justify a $700+ saw. It's a sideline and "group of friends cooperative" type of thing for me. Our group probably does 25 cords of firewood a year (and mine is far from the only saw in use, though I'm probably in the top two or three).

I do drool over the 357xp, and would probably jump on a good condition used one if the price was right (I haven't really decided what the "right price" is yet). I don't have the skills for any significant repairs/rebuilds myself, so I'm leery of buying someone else's problem.

cheyenne

Good thinking again, I've been running a 359 6 days a week for 3 years & never had a problem with it. I run both 20" & 24" bars. But I run 32 to 1 ratio oil to gas not 50 to 1 as they want. Find a good dealer & do all your business with him it will pay off in the long run. No big box stores or internet. Cheyenne

John Mc

I agree, Cheyenne -

I've got a good Jonsered dealer I just switched to who just rebuilt the carb on my 2152 a couple of days ago (my old dealer is in the process of selling his shop). I found another small Husky dealership that's a bit out of the way, but the guy knows his stuff, and is a great guy to stop by and chat with as well.

It's getting harder to find places like that with people who really know their stuff. If I end up going new, it will be a 359 from him, even though some of the internet guys are cheaper.

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on September 19, 2008, 02:35:09 PM
I do drool over the 357xp, and would probably jump on a good condition used one if the price was right (I haven't really decided what the "right price" is yet). I don't have the skills for any significant repairs/rebuilds myself, so I'm leery of buying someone else's problem.

A MS361 may be a better choise....... 8) 8)
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on September 21, 2008, 05:57:24 PM
A MS361 may be a better choise....... 8) 8)

I'm not very impressed with the Stihl dealer in my area... Though maybe I should take a look at one. I've got to find someone in my area who owns one so I can give it a try.

woodsrunner

I have a 359 and really like it. I know SawTroll is very knowledgeable about saws and does have a 361 so he has first hand knowledge of that saw. I don't. I also know alot of folks hold the 361 in very high regard. But if you can't work with your stihl dealer, I would not be afraid of the 359 if you like it. I like mine very much.

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on September 21, 2008, 09:55:24 PM.... I'm not very impressed with the Stihl dealer in my area... Though maybe I should take a look at one. I've got to find someone in my area who owns one so I can give it a try.

If you don't like the dealer, stay away....... ;)
Information collector.

John Mc

The dealer has been great when I bought my tractor from them. There just doesn't seem to be many knowledgeable people about chainsaws there.

cheyenne

they don't care about the chainsaw business it's an addon they want to sell tractors find a dealer who does chainsaws & chainsaws only you'll be better off even if you have to travel....Cheyenne

Thank You Sponsors!