iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Satelite connection ???/ Cost update !

Started by isawlogs, September 17, 2008, 07:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I am almost tired of not being able to open links on here and missing out on so much fun  ::) :D
I have an option , get satelite connection , I have received an offer (mail) from XPLORNET for a 512 kbps what they call kazam . I dont know nothing of a satelite connection or how fast this could be , right now I am connected at 19,2kbits/s with an accelerator  8)  ::) 
  So how much more can I expect with this type of connection is what I am looking to find out .
  Will I be  8) 8)  or   :'( :'(

Money wise its about the same as what I am paying at the moment , 50$ a month . ( phone line and imternet access/server )
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

You'd be happier with 512Kbps.  That is roughly 25 times faster than what you currently have; however, satellite connections have a lot of latency.  Keeping this very simple, latency is the delay between your sending data and then getting a response back from where you sent it.

If you don't expect to play video games on it or do other things that require a lower latency, I think you'd be pretty happy with it.  Just beware the setup costs.  $50/month seems kind of low to me for a satellite connection.  They may try to stick it to you on initial setup and equipment costs.

Also be wary of the monthly agreement/plan you sign up for.  Some of those deals sound great until you see they only allot you something like 500 MB total bandwidth per month and then charge you an insane amount per MB if you go over.  These are easily negotiated around...  just sign up for a plan that gets you enough so that you never go over.

Anyway...  that is my $0.02.  Hope it helps.  :)

Raider Bill

When in tenn. I connect through my cell phone. Better than nothing but the spped is slow and sometimes it's hard to keep the connection.
Works great in town closer to a tower.
Even phone calls are iffy on the hill.
Wish someone would put up a tower close to me.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

york

HI,
Take a look at "Wild Blue"   Have it about a year now-it works for me-love it-got rid of the telephone and my isp-use cell phone......WB cost 49.00 mo.

Bert
Albert

isawlogs

Thanks ,
       the cost are (from the add)

49.99$/month internet access  (starts at )   ::)                                                 
  99.99$ for the equipment  ??? (300.00$ rebate)
  99.00$ instalation fee
  75.00$/year access to the radiofrequencies spectrum ???
  No mention of bandwidth/month ... gonna check on that for sure .         
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

That sounds more like what satellite should cost.  With dial-up, you prolly have high latency already, so I think you'd be real happy with the satellite connection.  Just be sure to check the fine print before you sign on the dotted line.

Let us know what you go with and how it performs.  We might be getting a new wireless service up here that would be available at my house.  I'm hopeful it will go through, since it looks to be many years before DSL or cable will be available.  :-\

SwampDonkey

I get those Xplorenet Ad cards in the mail to Marcel. It seems pricey for my needs. I can't say anything for or against it other than price. If I have to pay more than the price of a phone line, which is around $25/mo here, than I ain't gonna have it. Just a short distance to town here and they never ran cable for high speed and the government actually said we were to get it here. I guess it might happen in the next 10 years.  ::)

As soon as CBC goes digital I won't get that either, so I guess I'll be sending them a cable bill for $25/mo as a tax rebate. Yeah right!  I should email them a note on the CBC info morning show to get the address to forward the bill. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

SwampDonkey ,
   I also have the 25$ phone line bill but I am adding to it the internet access /server call it what you want for my pony express connection it cost me another 17$/month .. so I am already at 42$ aint that much more to get a little better .

Dont youu have a server fee ???

There gonna be getting a call tomorow and will try and get the fine print ... They might just tell me that because I am on the far side of the oak tree and behind the maple that it will be an extra 20$/month  ::)

Marcel

DR_Buck

Marcel,

I've had satellite for almost 10 years now and have no major issues.  My ISP is HughesNet (formerly DirectWay part of Direct TV).  I have upgraded to a commercial service with lots higher speed for up and download.  The basic package at around $49 month is not bad speed.   MUCH better that dialup or ISDN both of which I have tried.  The only drawback of satellite is loss of signal in extremely bad weather with heavy loud cover or heavy rain.

I have friends that use Wild Blue and they also have no problems.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sgtmaconga

i have mine thru dishnetwork. my dial-up speed was 2400 baud and it flies with the dish.
Measure twice cut once

SwampDonkey

Marcel, yes $25/month for internet service on top of the basic phone service. That is why I say $25/month and replace service with cable internet.  Dial-up used to be $14 a mo here to get everyone enticed I guess. ;) They also didn't have much of a service desk. The response to not being able to connect was to go online for help on their web page. Well, how do you do that if you can't get online to begin with. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Just got off the phone with them .
200MB/day download ...
512kbits   128 download ... I think  ::)
49.99$/month 36 month contract
249.99$ instaltionand modem and antena
first month free
30 day cost repalcement waranty .. I dont like it they come and get it and give me my 249$ back

1 meg is 80$ thats out ofthe question for now .  ;D

So ....   is this good or should I walk away and continue with my flying ancker for a connection .  ::) :P :P

Marcel

Warbird

Okay...  a few things:

They quoted 200MB/day "download"?  Or did they mean 200MB/day "total throughput" (that means up *and* down)?  This can make a big difference.  Couple of questions reference this:  What happens if you go over that? Do they have a website where you can monitor how much you've consumed daily?

I am confused on the "512kbits and 128" thing.  Does this mean your speed would be 512Kbits (64KBytes) down and 128Kbits (16KBytes) up?

So it is $49.99 per month if you stick with them for *36* months??  That seems insanely long for a contract of this nature.  What happens if you decide to turn it off after say, 18 months?  Do you get some sorta huge fee?

$249.99 for all the equipment and them installing it ain't too bad.  That means they do all of the work finding the satellite in the sky, verifying signal strength, and all that.  It is possible to do yourself but can be a huge pain in the rear.  So that ain't too bad, IMO.  Although, the first month is hardly free when you look at the install cost.  ;)

The 30 day trial thing ain't bad.  Just make sure there are no strings attached if you decide you don't like it.  I've heard of folks getting burned on similar deals.

1 Meg for $80 per month?  What would the up speed on that be?  If still only 128Kbits, then that isn't worth it, IMO.  For $80/month, I'd try to negotiate it to 1Mbit down and at least 384Kbit up.  Also, is the "1 meg" package still limited to 200 MB/day or does that get upped, too?

Hope this is helping you out.

DR_Buck

The installation cost is in-line.   By government regulation (both US and Canada) you can not do it yourself.  The system has a transmitter that requires a licensed installer and the signal has to hit a 12' dish 25,000 miles up in the geo belt.  Pretty tight aim point for the unqualified.    512kb down and 128kb upload is standard bandwidth for the basic satellite packages no matter who you go with.   The 200MB download I'm not sure about.  For Directway (Hughes) it in an hourly amount that is based on the average downloads of all users during that period of time.   It is called "Fair Access Policy" (FAP) and is to prevent any one person from hogging the satellite bandwidth doing massive downloads and effecting other users by slowing down their throughput.   The penalty for violating FAP is the system will automatically throttle back your download speed  to something below the 512kb for up to a 24 hour period.  Then it gets restored.   I the 5 plus years before I upgraded to the commercial package I only exceeded FAP 2 or 3 times and it wasn't a big deal.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Warbird

Huh.  That is interesting to know about the installation thing.  For TV signals, AFAIK, you are allowed to do it yourself.  There is a tool you can get for testing signal and everything.

isawlogs, I think you'll be really happy with the satellite service.  From what DR_Buck says, it sounds like you wouldn't be getting scammed or anything.

isawlogs

DR , I should of just called you ...  :D  They told me exactly what you staed , If I go over it slows down to dial up speed or there abouts. The person on the phone said that if I dont download films/movies that I would be fine .

Boss says I can call and get it  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)   Woo Hoo !!!!!  Theres a few links on here that will be looked at ...  :D

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!