iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

385xp

Started by justintimemoto, September 16, 2008, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintimemoto

Im thinking about gettin a 385 just wondering what others opinions are.......i want it b/c i just want a bigger saw i cut firewood and fall trees now and then......Also hoe big of a bar can you go? thanks
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

Rocky_J

Probably 32" on the 385, but I don't think there's enough difference between it and the 372 to justify owning both. If you want to have something substantially stronger than the 372 then I'd go to the 395. In fact, that's what I did.  8)
I'm running a 32" on the 395 but it can wear a 36" if necessary.

justintimemoto

true i run a 28" bar on my 372 she has a touch of not enough poser when the full lenght of bar is being used
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

Corley5

Three's not enough difference between the 385 and the 372 to justify the extra weight of the 385 IMO and that's formed from owning and operating 2171s and 2186 Jonsereds which are the same as 372s and 385s  I'm going to trade my 2186 on new 2171 very shortly  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

The 385 is being phased out in favour of the more emission friendly 390 so there may be some good deals out there. It is an in between saw, kinda heavy if you only need a 24-28" bar but not enough power for a longer one as Rocky noted.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 16, 2008, 11:45:36 PM
The 385 is being phased out in favour of the more emission friendly 390 so there may be some good deals out there. It is an in between saw, kinda heavy if you only need a 24-28" bar but not enough power for a longer one as Rocky noted.

I didn't know that the 390 is more emission friendly, but it sure is a better option anyway, because of the extra power for about the same weight.
Information collector.

DR_Buck

I love my 385.  It's my big saw.  Although I use a 24" bar most of the time.  I can really "lean on it" and it don't bog down.   My smaller saw is a Rancher 55 which get a pretty good workout most of the time.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

gizmo

Dr. Buck,
I have the exact same saws you do. I have many, many tanks of gas thru my Rancher 55 and not so many thru my 385. I love both the saws. Work for me.

woodsrunner

I like my 385xp. I run a 28 inch bar on it and it has plenty of power for my kind of work. I also think it handles pretty well for its size and weight. It is a big saw but I enjoy running it. I got a pretty sweet deal on it so to me that outweighed some of the "disadvantages" some of the chainsaw gurus here and other places talk about. (No offense intended to anyone, seriously). There are some really experienced saw guys here and they know their stuff ,so do like I did and read and ponder and shop around, then make up your own mind.

Rocky_J

For those who didn't notice justintimemoto's signature line, he already owns a 372xp and that was my biggest reason for recommending he go to the next size bigger for his next purchase. I'm sure the 385xp is a good saw, but it's sort of an 'in-between' size. I think of it as a compromise between a 5 cube and a big saw, just as the 357xp or Stihl 360 is a compromise size saw between a 5 cube and a small trim saw.

If you can only buy one saw and need it to cover two size classes, then buy the compromise saw. But if you already own the best 5 cube saw on the market (the 372xp) and want a bigger saw then step up to a bigger saw than the 385xp.

Thank You Sponsors!