iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Embellishment to timbers

Started by mmhailey, September 16, 2008, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

I have tried several router bits to ease the edges of my timbers for decoration, and to soften the edges. I was just wondering what bits others have used, and did any turn out special enough they might offer it as a suggestion?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Don P

A classic around here on the underside of exposed joists is a bead on the two bottom edges. I made a little scratch plane to duplicate it on one job.

Jim_Rogers

Don, can you post a picture of the timber and the tool?

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FrankLad

I went across the edges of our posts with a hand plane, to ease them a bit.  Did the same thing to each and every floor plank that went down, so I didn't mind the process.  :-)

On some timbers I went a bit more, here and there, to give it that look similar to when you remove wayne from an edge.  My preference, though - as I like the more rustic look.

Sounds like you may be after something more uniform/rounded though...?

Don P

I kicked around the barn and found the plane, I couldn't find an old chunk of beam so took it to a piece of oak that was laying around.

A couple of disclaimers;
The iron was not set quite right in respect to the edge, it normally just blended in on the tangent.
Next is the plane body design itself. This was a one off for a quick job. I made it according to what I thought it needed to be at the time. The iron should be at a much... much steeper angle. I'm pretty sure it was scratching, this thing is biting. I ground the iron from a worn out jointer knife. I removed the cutting edge and ground the profile on one end. I guess you could grind another profile on the other end.

Anyway, its a pretty neat little detail I've seen on a number of joists around here from around the mid 1800's. I've seen beading router bits to do the same thing.

One other thought is to lay your hands on a copy of "Open Timber Roofs of The Middle Ages" it has some sections of different edge treatments.

mmhailey

Thanks for the pics... Actually I am using a beading router bit ( 1/4" radius) now, but I am thinking some of the 4X6 joists might look a bit better with a bit deeper and larger radius cut.

I have some 6X6 posts that I an looking forward to trying next, and am thinking a 45 degrees chamfer bit would look nice.

Thanks again, and hopefully someone else has other suggestions....

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

moonhill

Don, thats a nice plane/scratcher.  I have a selection of older wooden beading planes 1/8"-1/2", I have heard they make an opposing set the handle the grain direction changes which come up.  With a steeper angle you would be scratching and not planing.  I think Lee Valley has a spoke shave with changeable cutters for such purpose as well, a Beading Plane or something like that. 

Routers are slick, with all the optional bits, fast and neat.  I like the hand operated shaves for the character they leave behind, something unobtainable with a router.  Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!