iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood market

Started by Onthesauk, September 16, 2008, 11:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Firewood market getting tougher.  Off Seattle Craigslist this morning: :)

Organic, Free Range, Lovingly Felled, Hand Split Firewood: Delivered! - $130
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

mike_van

Wow, delivery of a product as pure as that can't be by a gas guzzeling emmissions spewing product of Detroit can it?  :D  And that 130.00 - Is that per bushel?  :D 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

StorminN

The ad says "by the truckload (44 cubic ft., approximately 1/3 cord) and half loads are available at half the price"... so that's $390 a cord  :o :o :o... oh, but I forgot, it's lovingly felled!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/for/842560912.html

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Corley5

Is that 44 cubic feet stacked or loose/thrown  ???  If it's loose it's about 2/3s of a third of a cord  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

Quote from: Corley5 on September 16, 2008, 06:49:55 PM
Is that 44 cubic feet stacked or loose/thrown  ???  If it's loose it's about 2/3s of a third of a cord  ;) ;D

That would need be . effeceintly stacked or randumly put in / gently thrown   !!!!

Almost makes one want to get into making stovewood .  ::) :D :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dale Hatfield

In Pa this summer I saw a few small piles of firewood. Stacked very nice that were priced about the same. I would guess to be about a level  pickup load.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Warbird

Good grief.  I wonder if he communed with nature, spoke with the trees, and asked them if they wouldn't mind giving up their lives to heat people's homes before he 'lovingly felled' them.  Or maybe he did something else to them and we just don't wanna know about it.   smiley_eek_dropjaw

DanG

Well I thought it was a pretty good ad.  The "organic firewood" part right up front, attracts the eye, and the rest of the headline was humorous, causing the reader to simply like the guy.  The description of the product seems to be pretty accurate, and no deception is apparent.  The price is right out there for all to see, and while it seems a bit steep, that may be the norm in that area.  All in all, I like the guy's approach. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

metalspinner

"Free Range" is what got me laughing. How can a tree be "free range?"  :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Warbird

I just get tired of all the 'fluff', Dan.  Ads that get my attention and respect, when I am looking for something, are the ones that are short and sweet: "Good, seasoned firewood for sale - hand split and delivered $xx.xx", along with a couple of pics...  yup, that'd get my business.  Whereas this guy...  not so much.

But that is my personality.   splitwood_smiley

Tom

Putting the relative cost aside, as it is a local thing, I got my tickle box turned upside down.  It wasn't a foot-stomper or a knee slapper, but it sure made me chuckle.  He stated in brief terms that most everyone should be able to understand what he was selling and identified the quantity price.  Free Range Firewood! :D  I can just see the root sprouts coming up everywhere, faster than you can walk.  :D

The guy definitely has a sense of humor and the ad promises honesty and sincerity.  He sounds like someone I'd like to meet and share a pot of coffee.  :)

isawlogs

Free range ...............  Guess he aint having nothing to do with plantation wood .  ;)

I like the add ... but that dont mean I would be calling for his product .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

I saw a sign once,Home Made Eggs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

Folks are fetching $290-350 a cord around these parts. Most are listing by face cord, thus requiring 3 face cords to make a "full". I suppose it IS steep, but I gotta say, I use to heat with own organic free range, hand split firewood and I don't miss that back busting, knuckle busting work. I have one local who is providing me with full cords, delivered for $135. I am waiting for my second, and I know he'll be out for the year after that. He is retired and says "he enjoys the work", God bless'em. (just keep it coming).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

Quote from: metalspinner on September 17, 2008, 08:46:33 AM
"Free Range" is what got me laughing. How can a tree be "free range?"  :D

I knew an old guy when I first got started in forestry that ran an old style country store.  I would stop and buy gas and always sit with him awhile an listen to his stories of the woods.  He told me one day that there were "set-out" pines, and then there are the "wild woods".

I guess that the guy in the ad only deals with the "wild woods" and eschews the "set-out" pines ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cheyenne

I know a guy who advertises, GOURMET FIREWOOD and he's getting $500 a cord. What did P.T. Barnum say....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Cedarman

I am going out on a free range limb and say that there are probably some of you folks that got kids that buy designer jeans because of some slick ad.  Ah, what good marketing can do :D :D Me, I just want a good pair of work jeans, no slick ads for me, but then again what about those 5 blade razors that give such a smooth shave.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

Quote from: Cedarman on September 20, 2008, 06:52:28 AM
Me, I just want a good pair of work jeans, no slick ads for me, but then again what about those 5 blade razors that give such a smooth shave.

And a pair of red suspenders!  (Cedarman, I will be in the pink today too as I am sawing cedar ;D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

You know a GOOD idea would be to "flavor" the wood in some type of steam bath w/  a strong natural fragrance............ That WOULD make it gormet. I like that idea, and you could charge a premium. Too bad I am not in the firewood business.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

Heh.  Except any 'fragrance' added would probably destroy a catalyst.  And the neighbors might not like sharing in your fragrance of choice.  ;D

Tom Sawyer

I will only burn organic, free range firewood from branches that were voluntarily dropped by the tree, or from trees who committed suicide to avoid being a burden on society in their old age.  Sometimes I assist the trees in their suicide attempts ;D ;D ;D

Tom

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

moonhill

I wonder if he was the one free ranging, I would hope he had the proper permitting.  Another good marketing  term, wild salvaged.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Onthesauk

Another one here today on the Seattle Craigslist for "Designer Firewood."  Maybe cut it to match your outfit?  $250 a cord!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!