iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Be glad you don't live in Taiwan

Started by David Freed, September 14, 2008, 07:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

I just saw on the news that a typhoon is crawling over Taiwan. Not only are they having to deal with 130 mph sustained winds, some areas have received 4 FEET of rain. They are expecting another 2 FEET on top of that. We had a "once in a hundred years" flood last spring with 1 foot of rain. I can barely imagine that much snow, let alone rain.

Dave Shepard

I found a list of precipitation records somewhere. It was amazing, to say the least. An inch in a minute, a foot in 45, and 6 feet in something like 15 hours. I can't even begin to imagine. :o :o :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

We had it in Florida when Faye passed.  You could swim straight up.  :D

DanG

Tom, I didn't know that Fay had "passed." :'(  She had been around so long that I had developed a sense of appreciation for her.  I knew she must not have been doing too well, since I was able to mow the yard without getting the tractor stuck, but I didn't know it was that serious. ::)

David, that rainstorm in Taiwan happened a few weeks ago, but it was one of the most phenomenal weather events I have heard of.  They had 4 feet of rain in a 24 hour period!  I can't even imagine....! :o :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Well, Dan, It probably wasn't as bad as Taiwan, but then.......  we are a bit taller than most of them.

DanG

:D :D :D

I don't know, Tom.  They started getting pork chops and black-eyed peas back in the fifties, and some of them are gettin' pretty big now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

submarinesailor

Back on June 27, 1995, Madison County, Virginia had the 7th highest rain fall recorded in the US.  Some places got as much as 33 inches in about 28 hours.  According to this USGS report: http://web.wm.edu/geology/virginia/madison/9-27-1995.html, my place got between 18" and 20" in about 5 hours.  Boy do I well remember trying to clear the rock slide off my septic field.  I must have moved about 800 tons of rock and sand.  I have got to find those pictures.

If you look at the image "Figure 2", my place in just to the right of the 18" and 20" numbers, but between the 2 rings.  DANG, what a mess that was to clean up.  And we got real lucky.  The mud flow that came down the mountain, just to the east of the house, deposited many large rocks in the yard.  But, they keep getting smaller as they got closer to the house.  I mean we really dodged a bullet, in that, we had about 6"- 8" of sand against 25'of the house foundation.

This is part of the introduction to the report:  "On June 27, 1995, an unusually severe storm wreaked havoc on a small area of about 50 square miles in Madison County, Virginia. During a period of about 16 hours, as much as 30 inches of rain fell in the area of maximum storm intensity and probably about 25 inches fell within a five-hour period over small areas. The location of this area together with data on the regional distribution of rainfall is shown in Figure 1. The result of this extreme rainfall event was mass wasting of steep hill slopes in the form of soil slides and slumps, rock slides, and numerous debris flows, with downstream flooding and with consequent destruction of houses, roads, utilities, livestock, and crops"

Also take a look at this report/slide show that was completed for the state of Virginia:  http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/documents/dscambell.pdf .  Look at slides 8-14.

Boy what a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!