iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Window Brand help

Started by shinnlinger, September 13, 2008, 09:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Time to order windows for the timberframe. 

Wife and I went to a Loewen rep and priced a package out at $42,000.

Since that is way out of our league and our $12,000 window budget, wife went to Home depot today and priced an Andersen 400 series vinyl clad wood, package at just over 13 large, but we have to buy them by this Wednesday to get the once a year sales price, or it bumps up $1500 bucks.

So the question is this.  Are 400 series Andersens worth a toot?  According to wife, Consumer reports say the 400 series is decent (#3) in their test. 

We are also running all casements if anyone has experience with those I would love to hear from you.

Also I would take recomendations on who to call on Monday if anyone thinks some other brand is the way to go.

Thanks.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Don P

I've installed Loewen casements. I wouldn't have them. Poor fit and finish, they also trap water on their level sill.

underdog

shinnlinger

Don

The Loewen's look to be beautifull high performance windows and they are made of sustainably harvested wood and all that, but their price wont alow me to save the world this time...and it sounds like your experience doesn't warrant the HUGE upcharge either.

UNderdog,

Good link..it seems to say the 400 series is at least OK.(but not the 200)  and that Pella has it's moments too.  The Pella people haven't been very good with us though, so Unless I hear a really great reason to deal with them, I wont.

For the record though, We are going with all casements due to their better sealing abilities.

Thanks
Shinnlinger

underdog

It has been atleast 8 years since i bought Anderson windows.
They where casement type.
I was very happy with them.
opt for the high performance Sun it does make a difference.
The ones i bought where right around 100.00 a Linear Ft then.

cheyenne

Check out Hurd or Marvin Millwork I've used both & was very happy with them. Hurd might be hard to find but you can get them talk with contractors if you have trouble finding them. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

iffy

I went to a lot of forums before we bought windows for our log home. We wanted to match our red metal roof, so that eliminated vinyl, as they don't do dark colors. That forced us into metal clad. A lot of the feedback on forums seemed to indicate that Pella has a somewhat convoluted install procedure compared to others and they frequently get out of their warranty by saying the windows were not installed to their specs. Some people loved em. We ended up choosing Jeld-Wen, as we found very few negative comments and we could get them locally. Something that surprised me was the number of people saying that their local supplier was about the same price as the big box stores when you do an entire house and the service is much better. FWIW

metalspinner

I just replaced all the windows in our place with Eagle brand last year.  The install was a piece of cake.  They averaged about $550 a piece.  That was with two 8' wide picture windows, though.  They are aluminum clad with wood (pine) inside.  Of course, many other domestic hardwoods could be substituted but really shoot the price up.

http://www.eaglewindows.com/

I thought the price was high, but this is what the wife wanted.  After living with them for a year, I believe they were worth the extra $'s.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Don P

I've had good luck with Pella's. Their designer line is better than the proline but either is a decent window IMO.
So, Eagle is a hopped up Anderson?
Jeld-Wen is a west coast company that bought up a good chunk of the competition a few years ago. They got Caradco, Pozzi and several others as well as several door companies. I've had good luck with their stuff. It is getting harder and harder in this country to know who is selling you what.

shinnlinger

Thanks folks,

Wife went with the Andersen 400's so I hope it will work out!
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!