iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chimney question

Started by Raider Bill, September 13, 2008, 06:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

How high does my pipe need to be from the roof?
the side the metal chimnney is going on is 24' wide with 6-12 pitch.
Pipe is in the center at 12' from peak and eaves.
No trees or obstructions around it.
I'm thinking 36"-48"?

Is there a spell checker here?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawmilllawyer

Don't know about spell checker on here but the top cap of my chimmey is approximately 4 feet above the roof. Hope this helps.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Tom

Most of us are using the spell checker on the Google tool bar.  It checks any open post creation window.   The only other alternative is to build the post in your email program and paste it here.

mike_van

Bill, the code here is 4 ft higher than anything within 10 ft of it - But, it could vary by state or local codes.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Toolman

Might want to check your local zoning laws. Our Twp. requires 24" above highest point of roof(peak). Mine is 28" above my peak. My neighbor has his about 36" above peak due to surrounding trees and a hillside that was causing downdraft on windy days.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ron Wenrich

My Firefox has spell checker built in.  IE doesn't have it.

Can't help you on the chimney.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Google on chimney height code, came up with several hits...one refers to a national code.

http://www.usinspect.com/car/0104TechJargChimneyHeight.asp
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PineNut

At one time I had a chimney that was 4 ft higher than any structure within 10 ft. It met the code but did not work. At about 11 or 12 ft, the builder had another story and that went several feet above the chimney. That installation was a disaster unless you wanted a smokehouse. Other houses were built the same way and they all had the same problem. Extended the chimney up by 2 feet and the problem went away even though it was still below the roof line.

Don P

2' above the highest point within 10'. I like to be above the ridge if at all possible though. Unfortunately the ridge is about 600' above us here  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!