iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

IKE---Yike!

Started by Qweaver, September 12, 2008, 10:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Well, it looks like Ike is going to hit us full bore in Texas City.  We may get severe damage.  My daughter has done as much as she can and headed north.  Some of our friends are going to stay and I wish them the best.  This could be a bad one.  And how about this rain band from north Texas to Vermont.  We need the rain but maybe not this much.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Faron

, I was wishing for a good rain yesterday. Well, we got it, 4 inches altogether.   8)  Now , typical farmer, I am hoping we don't get too much from Ike, but it looks like we are in his sights.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

tcsmpsi

My most pronounced problem with major hurricanes coming into the Texas coast, is that the "evacuation corridor", Hwy 146 is right in front of the shop, no one can get in or out of the parking lot.   :(   :D

With Rita, toooooo many came into the parking lot....and stayed.  :D

The wife's store across the road, is the primary fuel/ice/etc. of the area in such evacuations, which has their own myriad problems.   Yesterday, she sold nearly 12,000 gallons of unlead, emptying those tanks multiple times, as well as the diesel and other grades.

I would certainly have to be in a well-proven position to consider staying in or around Texas City with Ike, though.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Qweaver

Our place is just off of 146 on Dickinson Bayou above Texas City and my daughter was able to leave there this morning and drive north with very little traffic.  So there was a much better plan in place this time.  I've been thru' a few big storms and there is no way I'd willingly stay through another. :o :o  ::)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dave7191

Brother called this morning said his family was headed to Shreveport to her sisters he was going to meet them their he was in Alabama  head home they live on the west side of Huston 

DWM II

Good luck neighbors, yall stay safe and Gob Bless.
Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

tcsmpsi

Today's traffic on 146 was nothing like yesterday's.  Fortunately, it seems most folks left earlier rather than later.  More than governmental management, I suspect Rita left a lasting impression of the consequences of leaving later rather than earlier.

The wife did just tell me that the rack price on unlead is at $4.57, now.  :o

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

ely

how do they justify that price going up like that on gas. i mean the price of oil has went down steady for a week now they start this because of the storm.

ibseeker

I'm sitting in the airport in Atlanta and it's a zoo! My flight out of Orlando was cancelled due to a connection in Houston, seems like I'm not the only one connecting through Atlanta.

Have the refinery's already shutdown? The news was reporting yesterday that gas in South Carolina was at $5/gal due to Ike...how does that happen unless supplies are already impacted. Think the Fed's will investigate this one. There's laws against gouging during disasters.

I hope all the folks in Texas do ok and can remain safe.

Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

WDH

Tcsmpsi,

Is that area around your shop subject to flood?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

I have seen it (more than once) wash vehicles down the little street behind us.  However, I've only actually had it up in the shop once.

Whereas, the top of the vehicle where you park, would have been underwater.   

You didn't ask all that, did you?

Uh, yes, it is subject to flood.   ;)

ely...  The price of crude is only the price of the base product.  Primarily, the area where Ike is coming in, hosts most of the nations refining capability.  They are shut down.  And, will be for who knows how long.  Speculation is always a cost factor of a commodity.

Also, emergency delivery is, I strongly suspect, a factor.

Faron

NWS is warning that trying to ride out the storm in 1 or 2 story structures is "certain death" in some areas.  I have never heard the weather service use those terms, that I can remember.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

ely

i think this storm will be alot worse than the last worst one. heck the thing covered almost the whole gulf at one time.

beenthere

But not so bad that the news media and their tough guys with all the TV crews and support can't be "on the scene".  And saying things like "if you haven't left yet, you are really stupid and risking your life".  I guess one has to be tough to be a media man.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

The only saving grace we have is that it is a fast mover, and should move through Livingston in some 12 hours, or less, hopefully, not dropping enough rain to flood tcsmpsi shop, because mine is two blocks down from his, and on the same creek.

Good luck, Michael, I think we will need it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

When it gets through with you guys it's supposed to swing over the top of us here in the Ozarks. The weather man says 7" or more. I have a full time job redoing my driveway these days. You folks in Texas hang on tight nd find something to float out on.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

Quinton:

You, Sarah and Sonya have been on my mind ever since I learned of the latest path for the huricane.  It looks like the eye is going to pass right over your place in Texas City.

I'm glad to hear that all of y'all are safely away, and will pray that your place survives with minimal damage.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

After all the prayers that have been offered in my behalf, for all the storms that didn't quite hit here, y'all needn't have any doubt about where my thoughts are tonight.  You Texas folks hang on tight, and report in as soon as you can.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CLL

Not to take away from the people in Ike's path, as I hope and pray for all, but we have had almost 6" in the last two days here in mid-missouri. All the creeks are running over, the lakes are also rising a lot faster than expected. I know we are going to get it but we sure don't need any help from Ike. You all down south be careful.
Too much work-not enough pay.

bck

Quote from: ibseeker on September 12, 2008, 04:52:29 PM

Have the refinery's already shutdown? The news was reporting yesterday that gas in South Carolina was at $5/gal due to Ike...how does that happen unless supplies are already impacted. Think the Fed's will investigate this one. There's laws against gouging during disasters.

I hope all the folks in Texas do ok and can remain safe.

Price jumped 1.00 - 1.50 a gallon today. A lot of gas around here ( NC ) is 4.89 a gal.    seen on the news tonight Fayetteville was 5.49 for reg. unleaded ???   And they say oil today fell under 100 bucks a barrel for the first time in months ??? Somebody needs to go to jail for this >:(

Good luck Texas and Louisiana

Woodwalker

Looks like the eye is gonna pass right over the top of us in the next hour or so. Lost power about 1:00AM. Running of the generator now. Winds blowing pretty hard for the past couple of hours. Raining very hard at times. TV says anywhere from 5" to 12".  Don't know about damage yet, have to wait for daylight. Heard something fall up around the barn and mill shed just now.  Have a bunch of small limbs hitting the house, sounds like they are getting bigger. Something good size just hit the roof.  The possibility of tornadoes   is worrying me.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Woodwalker

Inside the eye now, wind and rain has died down. Trouble is the other side is coming, bring a bunch of rain with it.
Made a quick trip out to check on things, I've got a lot of limbs, tree tops down. Three big oaks and a couple of pines blown down. Only damage I could see was one tree on a cross fence.  Maybe the other side won't cause any more damage.
Texas Ranger  and Tcsmpsi are east of me about 20-25 miles and from the looks of the radar, will be outside of the eye and won't get to see any lull in activity.

DanG

Glad to see you're able to be online, WoodWalker.  Thats a good sign.  Got an update for us?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodwalker

I'm running off a standby generator. Update, ahhh, it's raining like there is a flat rock around here. Wind has shifted with the passage of the eye wall. The thing is getting weaker (so they say on TV can't tell by looking out the window), but it's gonna take a while for it to move out of here.  When it lets up enough, I got to try to get out of here and go to work. Don't think that is going to happen till after noon.

Texas Ranger

Weaker, my patootie!  Still blowing like Gabriels horn, and looks like another 6 or more hours for us as the south end of this big mother comes through.  Got a tree down on out buildings, running on Generator, got a house full from flooded Houston.  Have no idea what has happened at the shop, will probably be tomorrow before we get out.

Y'all up north of Livingston, Texas, this devil ain't through, so hunker down.

Qweaver

We just got phone calls from one brave neighbor that waded in to look ay our houses.  Ours is still standing and appears OK from a distance.  There is still about 2' of standing water so who knows how deep it got to.  Where our house sets is about 8' above normal tide and then the bottom of the house is 8' above that.  My workshop and small renthouse (about 4 miles to the east) are also still standing.  We'll know more tomorrow when Sonya can get back down from Houston.  I guess the cabin will go on hold while we make a trip back south.  I'm getting to old for this!  ::)
Quinton

Texas Ranger

Mother in law and two bro in laws live in Nasa Bay, on the creek.  We have no idea whats happened there, they are here.

WDH

TR,

Sure hope your shop and that woodworking equipment survive the high water.  Sounds like there was a good bit of timber damage :).  Very happy to hear that y'all are safe. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Would like to hear y'all are ok today.  Keep us posted. 
Say when

Bibbyman

We missed most of the rain from the other system CLL talked about – only getting a few light showers and sprinkle here and there now and them. The "train" went north of us by only 20 miles or so.

But Ike hit us about sundown last night and continues to dump rain.  I have no idea how much we've got already but we didn't need it.  And it looks like we got at least a couple of hours more of heavy rain.

I did see where Geraldo reported that Hooters was gone there in Galveston.  I wondered if it busted up or floated off?  ::)

Update....

I just looked outside at it started to get light.  Our local stream is flooding it's banks. It's as bad now as it got in the floods of 93-95.  And it looks to be still rising.

The stream's channel is probably about 30 yards wide at the top.  Here it has to be at least 50 yards out in the field.  You can see a small spot between the trees where the creek channel is.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

scsmith42

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 14, 2008, 08:06:41 AM

I did see where Geraldo reported that Hooters was gone there in Galveston.  I wondered if it busted up or floated off?  ::)

Bibby, I'm glad to see that you're keeping abreast of the situation.  Considering their location, the deck was probably stacked against them.   ::)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mike_van

In the mid 80's, we stayed right on the seawall in Galveston, place called Captains Cove. There was a huge resturant called The Flagship right up the street.  It must be a mess now.  On the road from Galveston to Houston, we drove past a refinery, must have been 2 miles long.  Storms, they sure can make most man-made things seem pretty fragile.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Texas Ranger

Galveston basically does not exist, as a city, and the Flagship is gone, as is any thing on the boardwalks out from the sea wall, the seawall held, and a lot of the damage is flood from the back side, where there is no seawall.

We are 200 miles inland, and it was a Cat 1 when it went to the west of us, eye wall was about 20 miles west of where I am.  We have minor damage in our subdivision, but major the closer to the eye wall.  I will have some pictures when everything gets back to normal, when ever that may be.

Loss of life at this time seems minimal, although they are still going through the rubble on Galveston.  Houston hosts 20 percent of the US fuel production, so, there ya go.  No word on how bad the problem is in the refineries, they have a good emergency plan so the loss should be minimal.

God grant that no one has to live through these things, they are intense, this is my second in 3 years, you guys in Florida have it worse, how, I would not try to figure out.  It is a mess, one time or multiples.

WDH

So Point Blank must have got it point blank.  I bet Lake Livingston was riled. 

Texas Ranger

Local news is slow to trickle in, don't have anything on San Jacinto County, but the furthest west I went the worse it got, liquor store in Onalaska is open, I was told, so may have to make a beer run.

Bibbyman

Our creek (see above) rose a little and then started to drop.  It's running bank full now.  Water standing in the fields.

It's cleared off and windy although we did get another pretty good shower about an hour ago.

Back in the 93-95 floods,  it would sometimes be flash floods from local rain and then sometimes it would be backwater from the Missouri River.  But then it went on for months - not a few hours.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

We got 6 inches of rain and 50 mph winds here in the Ozarks.  Power out in places and trees down everywhere.  Ike came through in about 12 hours and most of it was last night.  Every thing at the mill is fine but for two stacks of lumber that will have to be restickered and a few limbs picked up.  I left Myrtle Beach S.C. after "Hugo" and the DanG things are comming up here now.  This is two in a month so when is the next one?
ARKANSAWYER

pineywoods

I got hit pretty hard by the outer bands on the east side of Ike. Very heavy rain and 60 mph winds, but they usually lasted about 30 minutes, then reasonable calm, followed by another band. Everything survived ok, Gustave had already cleaned house last week ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mooseherder

The News reels are coming in and some areas are looking devasted.   :(
Pretty sad indeed.  Wishing everyone affected the best recovery possible.

Grawulf

Ohio just got the brunt of what's left of Ike's winds - lost the top out of a humoungous..... humongous......BIG cherry. Went out to look at it - it bee full of honey! Half of the hive is still up in the air and the other half on the ground. Bees aren't too pleased about it. Watched a beech by the house kick up the ground around it - one of those trees I knew that I need to take down.....I'd best get some rope in town tomorrow and stop procrastinating  ::)  It'll take me a while to get down the driveway tomorrow morning. Son's house to the south of us had a tree fall on it. Will find out how bad tomorrow. Keep your heads covered in Pa and NY!  :o

pigman

We had a little wind from the remains of Ike here today. Winds measured in Louisville at over 75 MPH, a lot of barns down in my area. I lost an old hog building stacked  full of lumber. The south side of my house roof looks like a half plucked chicken. I am one of the lucky ones in the area to still have power.  We are not supposed to get winds like that this far from the coast. :o  On the positive side, I will have plenty of blown down trees for fire wood. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

75mph in Campbellsburg? :o :o  That's DanG near unbelievable!  I really hate that some of you who are not accustomed to, or prepared for those kinds of winds, had to bear up to it.  I've been watching these things for a lot of years, and I've never seen one take TS force winds that far inland.  However, if it had not picked up speed day before yesterday, and not gone from 8mph to 13mph while it was in the Gulf of Mexico, it would have totally devastated Eastern Texas.  As it is, they are suffering from heavy damage, but if it had continued to linger in the Gulf, it would have built up to a CAT5 in just a few hours.  Those buildings that lost windows would have been totally destroyed.  There would have been hundreds, or thousands, of people killed, and the oil refineries would have been TOAST!

I just hope that this storm will be the wakeup call for Texas that Katrina was for Louisiana and Mississippi.  They have their act together now, as much as is possible with their elevation problems, and are still working hard to make themselves safer.

Ol' NIMBY has been pretty effective at keeping power plants, refineries, and landfills away from those Hoity-Toity neighborhoods where people don't want to be offended by the realities of life, but Hurricanes and other such natural disasters don't got no respect for NIMBY at all!  I heard that Galveston doesn't really exist anymore.  Well, that's pretty sad, but wouldn't this be a good time to find a nice piece of land away from the beach and build a new town named Galveston?  People like the beach, for whatever mindless reason, so the State or Federal Government could buy up all the land there and make it a Park, so all the people could go out there and get sand in their....er...swimsuit.  Then they could sell some different land to the people who just got washed away. ::)

pigman

According to the weatherman on the boob tube, we got caught between the low pressure of Ike and a high pressure east of us .  We only had about 5 hours of the high winds. I notice Faron has not been on since this morning. His area was als also hit hard by the winds, I hope he and others in that area are ok.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ScottAR

It came through here with 35 mph winds and lots of rain.  No major flooding.
Lots of limbs down and some fallen trees.  I hear tell a building at the cotton
gin across town lost it's roof completely. 

Nearly dodged a bullet as about 60-70 miles north got 65+ mph gusts and lots
more damage.   I hope TomE and Semologger are ok. 

The crop report via store rumor mill.
The early planted rice took a major beating, looks like a wedding aftermath.
The late rice isn't so bad.  Green stuff can still bend I guess.
Corn looks ratty but will probably be alright.
Early cotton got wet, Late isn't open yet. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Faron

Still here, Pigman!  Hey! We ain't supposed to have hurrycanes in Indiana!  We had a church picnic scheduled for a shelterhouse in the state forest.  We went ahead with it, figuring everything looked like it was going north of here.  We ate, and then called it a day, as trees in the forest behind the shelter started coming down.  I had to use the saw a time or two to get home.  Power was out, Faron's kid and her kids were in Lexington KY and couldn't come home.  We checked cattle fences and made emergency repairs.  Have to get out now and fix them right.  On the brighter side, a friend had been looking for me, and happened upon us on a back road.  He had a leaner tree broken at the bottom in danger of falling on his house.  He was pretty concerned.  We notched it and dropped it in a safe area.  He's a Democrat, and now he has to vote for John McCain. 8) 

OneWithWood

Faron, glad to hear you weathered the storm OK.  I wonder how Flip made out.  His place sits on a hill with very little to dissipate the winds.
Winds got upwards of 35mph with major gusts being much higher (heard reports of 81mph).  I have not seen trees dance that much since the hurricanes I went through in Elizabeth City, NC.  Heard a couple of big ka-thuds but I have not ventured out into the woods to investigate.  It was dark when I left the house this morning.
The last big lightning storm we had killed the largest sassafrass tree in Monroe Co. that was always a good attraction for visitors to our woods.  I wonder if these winds brought it down.
I don't think I will be at a loss for firewood.

Cedarman, you OK? 

Folks in northern Illinois, northern Indiana and Michigan got pounded pretty hard too.  How about some news from up that way?

My heart goes out to all the folks along the gulf coast.  It sure has been a tough couple of years for you.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cedarman

We had gale force winds for about 5 hours.  Never have seen such long lasting high winds.  Knocked all the walnuts and 1/2 the persimmons off the trees.  That's the minor damage.  Most everyone without juice.  We will be without for a good bit as a big limb took down our line from house to road.  Using generator to supply juice to freezer, refridge and computer.  Mill is on 3 phase and was off for about 10 hours.  We are back to running today with 1/2 people.  Others can't be contacted.  Lots of trees blocked the roads.  Had one huge one busted out at 25 feet and angled across road.  Could drive under.  Went this morning with loader and pushed it down and cut it up enough for big trucks to get through.  When cutting up downed trees one old fellow stopped to help and could only use one arm but stayed until we got the road cleared.  Another place some young people stopped to move just enough debris so they could get in their car and leave me with a big mess to move.  Luckily an older neighbor stopped and helped get the rest of the stuff off the road.  Next time I will just block the road until I get them cut up and moved.  Some people bend over backwards to help and others just freeload.   Son went in to help the fire dept all afternoon and evening until they got all their roads cleared.  Yard looks like it is a carpet of leaves.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

Faron'skid just called. She is on I64 in Dubois Co Indiana.  She is seeing corn flat on the ground from the storm.  I don't envy those guys their harvesting job this fall. Ours is still standing good, though I have seen and heard of some down to varying degrees around here.  Got all the fences more or less up and going this morning.  One of our bulls and the neighbor's bull had switched pastures. ::)  Ya don't suppose a whirlwind switched them, do you? ;)

Greg

We got clobbered in SW Ohio by the remnants of the storm

Never seen anything like what we got yesterday, in my lifetime. 50mph *sustained* winds from about 2 to 5pm yesterday. Gust to 70+. But NO RAIN  ???

90% of Cincinnati and surrounding areas were without power, down to about 75% today. *All* schools, many businesses closed. What gas stations are open have long lines, accepting cash only.

We are going on 10 hours at home without power. Bye bye groceries...

On the bright side, Definitely will improve firewood scrounging in the area, thought ;)

The white pines and silver maples took the brunt of the damage. Oldest buckeye trees in Ohio (near columbus?) was basically blown up yesterday.

Greg

beenthere

Quote from: Faron on September 15, 2008, 12:09:28 PM
..............  One of our bulls and the neighbor's bull had switched pastures. ::)  Ya don't suppose a whirlwind switched them, do you? ;)

Da grass is ALWAYS greener on da udder side....  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Hey Greg, that's what my MIL reported in the NW corner of Arkansas.  Lots of wind, not much rain comparatively.  They have quite a few big trees down on their property and the FIL hit a tree in the road on the way home.  He was all right but others didn't fair as well.  They are out of power and don't know when it'll be back on.  The FIL has his generator going for emergency power and they are doing all right.  They have a creek near their house but the MIL said it is very muddy right now, due to the storm.

Warbird

dancan

Warbird , thanks for finding and posting that link , great photos .

Warbird

They are very sobering.  :(

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dancan

Quote from: Warbird on September 15, 2008, 07:15:45 PM
They are very sobering.  :(
I was able to show the scale of damage to my daughters but I did have to find more stuff on Haiti , who (the country) is now in a very bad way and is left with next or less than nothing .

Mr Mom

Had power all day yeasterday untill about 7 pm then it went out and been on gen to keep things going. Will be on and off gen untill the lights come back on.
Does anybody know how many watts i need to run a whole house? Nothing fancy just might think of getting a whole house gen.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

Rocky_J

Depends on what you mean by 'whole house'. I just had an electrician put in a plug off of my main breaker box so I could plug in my little 6000 watt generator. It will run all the lights and outlets, but basically no 220 stuff. That means no stove, no water heater, no central AC, etc. But I can run all the lights and outlets no problem.

To run all the high power stuff like central AC, you'd have to know what size it is and the draw, then figure out how big of a generator you'd need. Probably 12000-14000 watt or more.

Bro. Noble

We lost power when Ike visited us Sat. night and still are in the dark :(  I'm using Dad's 3500 watt generator now to keep the fridge and freezer cool.  He says it is supposed to be enough to power his well and run electric baseboard heaters as long as they aren't turned on at the same time.

We have a 25000 watt generator at the milkbarn which powers several 1-3hp motors as well as the well,  water heater, milk cooler,  as well as the 110 stuff.

I would think a 10000 would work for a normal house.  I've seen ones that size used for dontractors and they look to me like a nice size.  You might find an 18000 watt pto generator at a bargain as they used to be common on dairies,  but are now too small for most operations.

If you hook a generator into your electric system (as opposed to plugging appliances into the generator) make sure you have a double pole double throw switch so that it's not possible to feed current back into the electric company's lines-----that would really pith them off.

I wouldn't mind if I never saw one of the stoopid things again.  I can get by fine without electricity except for keeping up with the forum and milking the stoopid cows ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

I have a 15kw at the house, propane fired, that runs it all except central air, would need around 25kw for the whole thing.  It has been running since Saturday morning when Ike came to visit.  Costing about $100 per day, but having fans, ice, refrigerator, and tv (not to mention computer)  seems likes it worth it.

Roxie

8)  It's sure good to see ya!  I was afraid Ike got ya!  Other than no power, what's it like in your area? 
Say when

Faron

Ike is going to have significant economic impact in the midwest. I had to make a parts run yesterday to Jasper, 15 miles or so east of here.  I saw many fields of corn partly to completely flat.  I spoke to the parts gal at my machinery dealer this morning.  She indicated we are the exception among their customers in not having serious problems with down corn.  They have already had over 70 orders or inquiries about reels for corn heads.  No way, I would think, that everyone who needs one is going to get one.  I also heard the nearby Deere dealer has about the same problem.  This will result in significant yield loss, as well as making for a slow and dangerous harvest.  A reel will probably cost from $1500 to $3000, if you could get one.  All I know to do if I need one is make one. ::)  I don't know just how big this area of damage is, but I think it is huge.

Texas Ranger

Roxie, don't know who you were asking, but our area was hit, but so far seems less than when Rita come through, and we were on the sloppy side.  Town is coming back to life, we have gas and groceries as well as some lights.  No deaths reported in our area, possible 30 or so for the state so far, that number continues to grow. 

Lots of timber damage, cattle damage, alligators on the prowl, snakes looking for high ground, you know, it's Texas.

Grawulf

I just got back from removing a tree from my son's house and patching the roof. They live in Mount Vernon, Ohio - about an hour and a half south of our house. They're still without power - had to ship in companies from South Carolina as many of our linemen are in Texas.
They're pretty much rewiring the whole community. Did I mention that I hate 12/12 pitches?  :o

Bro. Noble

Well,  the REA guys finally made an appearance yesterday evening about milk time.  They found a tree across the lines near our milkbarn.  I told them about two more.  One was real easy as it was a small pine just leaning against the lines and was where they could get their bucket truck right to it.  The other one was a different story.  There is a hill in front of my son's house called 'backbone ridge'.  That wasn't a name they just picked out of a hat-----that sucker goes almost straight up one sice and straight down the other.  There is a pole on the very top and it had a tree across the line near it.  The local lineman (he had three inports helping him) asked how in the heck did a guy get up there.  The pole is thought to be one of the originals from when electricity first came to our area in the mic 50's,  It was probably skidded up there by mule with another mule packing a bunch of dynamite to help dig the hole.  I suggested the route I would take and he just rolled his eyes and said they had better get started. It's about a half mile hike uphill through thick brush and timber.  This was about 5 PM.  We went ahead and milked with our generator and finished up about dark.  I told my wife that we had just as well forget about getting any power till tomorrow,  cause that line on backbone ridge would have to be taken care of first.  She woke me up about 2 AM this morning saying that we have power.  At the milkbarn this morning I told my son that I didn't see how they got the power on without getting that tree off the line on backbone ridge.  He said the hounds woke him up about midnight and he looked out to see what was going on.  He said there were flashlights flickering up on the ridge.  I've mentioned before that I've grown to really appreciate those guys. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Faron

Hey, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan folks.  Did this thing hit you very hard too?  I have never quite seen a storm like it.  Like Greg said, there was little or no rain with it.  Good thing, too.  Crop damage would have been much worse with a rain.

Norm

Faron it only hit the SE 1/3rd of the state. It was mostly just rain with no wind to speak of. We got 2.5"s of rain that was badly needed from a cold front that pushed through and kept Ike from our area.

tcsmpsi

Just a quick note from what's left of the woods, now that I have some power and phone/internet for a moment at least.

Ike caused much more damage than Rita, here.  Both the shop and the house/place suffered much more damage than Rita.  Power companies report twice as much damage.  But, they learned a lot from Rita, much better organized, many more workers...and we did not have the evacuee persons/problems which enhanced Rita exceedingly.

Had Rita not wiped out a significant amount of resources when she came through 3 yrs ago, the damage here would be...much worse.

I have tree off the house...wished I had left on, trees removed so we can get in and out.   Haven't gotten the one out of the millshed yet. 

Heard a small report coming out of Houston on the 14th, reporting county damage, and it mentioned Polk as "tremendous".

Retreived the missing shop roof from a neighbor's parking lot.

Have heard that Ike has caused damage as far up as Rochester, NY.

Might have a few pictures...if the camera held up in the wind.   :D

Cedarman

On a lighter note, the deer will be so fat from all the corn that will be on the ground this winter they will all have triplets.   The deer will be fat and tender this fall.  A lot of corn hit the ground.  At 5 bucks a bushel, there might be  lot  gleaning after the combines go through.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

tcsmpsi

With the significant loss of pine cones and acorns, there's going to be some hungry critters around here.  What trees are still standing, most are pretty nekkid.

These pictures don't do ol' Ike much justice, as I seem to have been too dark on the strong gusts, and the action/sound is missing.

Once it slowed down a bit.

First trip to the shop Sat afternoon.

Found the wandering roof from the shop.

OneWithWood

tc,
Those first two pics could have been taken out our place Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  I have never seen trees in this area move so much  :o

Fortunately we did not have any structural damage or major tree fall, just lots of limbs.

Sorry to see you had such damage and glad you and yours came through without harm.  Good luck picking up the pieces.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

DanG Micheal.  It looks like you got nailed pretty good.  That is some bad news about the shop roof.  Did all the contents get ruined?

How did the little yaupon family fare?  I heard that the damage in Livingston and south/southeast of there really got hammered. 

Warbird

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 18, 2008, 01:49:34 PM
Sorry to see you had such damage and glad you and yours came through without harm.  Good luck picking up the pieces.

Me too.  Glad you are all right!

Mooseherder

We had a lot of Pine Borers come in after our trees looked like that.  It took about a third of my Pines because they were weak.  I hope that doesn't happen to you.  Good luck with the recovery.  I get anxiety when I see this and had a gut feeling when Ike was out in the Atlantic that it was gonna be bad. :(

mike_van

Here's a link to CPN showing the power outage report for Texas - They still have a long way to go - http://www.centerpointenergy.com/staticfiles/ike/outages.html
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Woodwalker

Mike_van
here is a link to the state by county. http://www.puc.state.tx.us/webapp/public/apps/OutageReporting/Public/MapViewer.aspx
There are a few more people impacted by this than just the Houston area, but that is all you here on the news.
Not even sure of what day this is, but we are only about 40% restored and that is with some 15,000-16,000 off system personal in here to help. 16-18 hour days are getting kinda old. I'll post some pictures when things slow down.

Texas Ranger

Power on here as of friday morning, beer is cooling, DanG generator not howling in my ear, 70 degrees, and all is well with the world, until the costs come in, and until wife puts on the horse whip and demands the rest of the yard be cleaned.

As the kid said in "The Outlaw Josey Wells".  "Whipped em again, Josey".

Warbird

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 19, 2008, 11:07:52 AMAs the kid said in "The Outlaw Josey Wells".  "Whipped em again, Josey".

I like your attitude, TR.  Keep on with the gettin' on.  :)

Tom_Averwater

We finally got power back on @8 pm . I had a generator running to keep the fridge and freezer going. Those sure were some strong winds.We didn't get any rain .I was hoping we would get some rain with it as we have only gotten 1.5 inches since july 1.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Don P

Got hold of SIL in Houston today, their power was back up, no damage to the structure.

This pic was over on the inspectors website it is not altered, one of them has been working in the area;
http://cnn-7.vo.llnwd.net/c1/ireport/big/prod/2008/09/16/WE00086778/212349/Anon1221603275-AfterIKELeftTexas698889.jpg

beenthere

Don P
Glad to see your SIL ''s place still standing... 8) 8)

;) ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin

Don P

:) ;)
That does show the difference in blow out walls and stilt construction.The previous house was destroyed in Rita and was replaced with this one. It was supposedly engineered for a cat5. The problem with that is Titanic syndrome. The homeowners almost stayed. The 4 modulars in the background are on concrete piers.

Texas Ranger

Almost 300 miles of coast look like that.

moonhill

The coastal tip of Maine is next on the list.  60-70 mph winds and a little rain.  I sure don't think it will come any where near Ike.  They are saying worst in 17 years.  It won't be bad.  It may be moving into New Brunswick.  It is only cat #1.  That's enough for me.  I am going to have a look at my wind mill and sure it up just in case.   Don P's pic. looks a bit empty, 300 miles of coast, Wow.     Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Qweaver

This is our 4th major storm since we moved to the gulf coast and by far the worst.  We've lost tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools, cars, outbuildings and a small rent house that insurance will not cover.  It sucks, but that's the chance we take.  Some of my friends are even worse off.  I've learned to just roll with the punches.
Flood insurance is useless here.
Quinton

Bibbyman

Last week we were getting to the point where our log inventory was short.  Mary called a large logging outfit that was able to swamp us with logs summer before last.  He's in East Texas working the Ike cleanup.  He said he'd hope to be back home by Christmas and would give us a call.

We're doing some custom sawing for a neighbor who had arranged for yet another large logging outfit to log his timber.  They hadn't started yet, they were still down in Texas doing cleanup.  Said they would be ready to log his farm after the first of the year.
Sawing since '94

Texas Ranger

Couple of trucks picking up dead wood in Livingston, noticed Missouri plates, so asked the guy where he was from.  Saint Joseph.

Could be your logger?

Bibbyman

Quote from: Texas Ranger on October 13, 2008, 05:54:12 PM
Couple of trucks picking up dead wood in Livingston, noticed Missouri plates, so asked the guy where he was from.  Saint Joseph.

Could be your logger?

No,  I wouldn't think so.  One is based out of north central Missouri and the other out of central Missouri.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!