iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting one million bf of teak

Started by crtreedude, September 12, 2008, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Yep, time to stop fooling around, we bought the rights to cut 1 million BF of teak a couple of months ago, and now it is time to dive in. A container is due here in the next hour or less to deliver a few more sawmills (6 from Baker) with all the fixins.

I figure to complete in a year, we have to cut about 20,000 BF a week - and sell it. Selling looks like it will be the easiest part since the demand is very high (already have orders), and the supply is very low. Logistics is going to get interesting though.

I have the crews ready and trained with a Baker 18M we bought almost a year ago. But, as we go from a crew of 3 to 20+ it is going to be interesting. Most of the workers have been with us for a while, which helps a lot. They have been part of construction mainly.

We also bought an old 4 head planner for making wainscoat (tablilla here) and flooring, 6 inch wide. We got it for 4 thousand dollars, pretty much abandoned. After a couple of weeks, it is looking pretty good. It will eat about 3,000 BF a day - with two shifts of workers.

Yes my friends, Finca Leola is growing up - and really fast too!

Our plantation trees aren't yet ready, but I figure about the time we finish with these, we will start our first thinnings.  8)

I will try to post how it is going, more white hair and all, as it goes. Of course, pictures will be included. After all, if I have a camera in hand, it keeps me from doing something silly like working for a living... ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

ADAMINMO

How about some pictures of those saws as you unload them. I would like to see a pic of them inside the container to see if they moved much at all. Let me know how everything goes.
Adam

Mr Mom

how much is teak going for??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Meadows Miller

Gday

Crtreedude dont let that Teak go out of the yard for anything less than $2.20 Us gos rom grade in the yard for graded timber Id be guessing about $3.30 + us a bft gos in yard People pay a fair amount for the teak You said in a earlyer post that it was a young plantation that hasent been thinned out so Im thinking there will be a fair amount of rough small sawlog eg only good  for small section sizes Ive read about a small sawmilling opeation years ago (I forget which country i think Indo) that was sawing every log from 6" dia and 6' long  from 3x1 and up they  said the largerst they would see was 2'6" dia .

dont worry You will love seen 20to30 blokes all working away on those new Blue machines   8) as long as You dont get the probs like in ::)PNG sometimes your crews dont rock up for the day  ::)there a pretty relaxed mob up there ;) :D ;D

I wish all the luck in the world with this new venture You shouldnt get to many  new dramas that You havent had to deal with before. 8) 8)

Reguards Chris McMahon

4TH Generation Timbergetter

crtreedude

Chris,

You hit is just about right on price. This is 16 year old, so it has a lot of heartwood, and very good color.

We have 88 full-time workers, so honestly, this will be an adventure, but not that bad. After all, I ain't the one doing all the cutting...  ;D

Even though it is past quiting time, a big bunch of them are down below, still putting things together, you would think it was Christmas...  :D

ADAMINMO

Did everything arrive in good shape? I hope all went well with it.

crtreedude

Quote from: ADAMINMO on September 12, 2008, 10:01:18 AM
How about some pictures of those saws as you unload them. I would like to see a pic of them inside the container to see if they moved much at all. Let me know how everything goes.
Adam

Sorry Adam, too late but nothing shifted. A great job, an awesome job of packing.  8) We were amazed. Tell whoever did the job they did wonderful, we are very impressed!

of course they felt they were pretty weak until they figured out some things were bolted to the floor...  :D

And thanks for helping out stuffing the Baily Order in the container too - we really appreciate it.

Just a kind word here for Baker, this is our second order. Our first Baker has been a real workhorse, so we bought 6 more (cleaned out his stock!) I can't say enough kind things about the people at Baker. A very good saw that just works. Simple to use, simple to setup, and simple to repair. Justt what you need when you can't quickly get to parts.

I will definitely be taking pictures of operations next week.

Burlkraft

Good to hear Fred.... 8)  8)  8)

Wudda ya gonna do with all that money  ???   ???   ???

Oh by the way,    How's the weather  ???  ???  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Quote from: ADAMINMO on September 12, 2008, 05:56:17 PM
Did everything arrive in good shape? I hope all went well with it.

Perfect! No damage, everything just right.

Oh, the only issue was the truck dropping it off managed to get himself stuck across the road as he was leaving and blocked traffic both ways for about an hour  :o but you sure don't have control of that. We had to get a backhoe to get him out of the ditch.  ::)

crtreedude

Quote from: Burlkraft on September 12, 2008, 06:02:24 PM
Good to hear Fred.... 8)  8)  8)

Wudda ya gonna do with all that money  ???   ???   ???

Oh by the way,    How's the weather  ???  ???  ;D  ;D

So, you must of heard I got a good price on the trees, eh? Trees are cheaper by the thousands...  :D

The weather has been very dry for us for this time of year, when you get hurricanes, they rob all the rain from us. Boy have we been working hard to make the best of the weather!

Probably start raining cats and dogs when we start cutting...

crtreedude

The logs by the way range from 6.5 inches to 14 inches DBH. What we did was buy 3 buddies, 5.5 HP, to handle the small stuff (no point burning fuel on a 20 hp on small stuff) and 2 20 HP manuals for the larger stuff.

We have also a 9 HP buddy just for the furntiture shop to use to split some of the the larger pieces we salvage from the farms.

The older 20 HP is down at one of the plantation processing about 100 trees (older field trees) we had to take down, probably 30,000 BF or more. We have a crew just cutting there. As soon as they finish, we start first thinngs on that farm, and probably never finish. Also, we have some more large bridge logs to cut - so that will keep them busy I am thinking.

woodhick

where are you selling all of this lumber at?  I would like to get my hands on a few hundred feet maybe more depending on price.  Is any of it being shipped back into the states?  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

crtreedude

So far, all is being sold in country. We do export, but it is not fun. The only way I could export any, without making it a big production is turn it into shelving, with finish and everything.

This is to prevent bugs from entering the USA. Otherwise, there is a whole list of things I have to do - mainly to ensure that it is sterile.

I can't even send a pallet without doing this.

Corley5

Quote from: crtreedude on September 13, 2008, 12:04:52 PM
Otherwise, there is a whole list of things I have to do - mainly to ensure that it is sterile.

That's a good thing  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

crtreedude

Quote from: Corley5 on September 14, 2008, 02:48:53 PM
Quote from: crtreedude on September 13, 2008, 12:04:52 PM
Otherwise, there is a whole list of things I have to do - mainly to ensure that it is sterile.

That's a good thing  :) :)

Yeah, I agree. But, I will say this, our critters don't like the weather up that way very much...

crtreedude

Well, all the sawmills are assembled and we are dropping the first trees today.  8)

To cut trees in Costa Rica, even on a plantation you have to measure each one, and add up all the BF. The, you have to take all of that detail, and proof of land ownership, that all saws are registered with MINAE (I guess they are considered lethal weapons...) to the College of Engineers, get it stamped, then run 3 hours the other direction to get the stamps from MINAE.

Amazingly, this went the first time (which is rare) Any time you hear that environmental laws are slack in other countries, well it might be true of some countries, but I assure you, it isn't here.

crtreedude

Oh, I meant to say this, you have to also be a forestry engineer to do this, and not just any, but a regent. Thankfully we have one on staff.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jim king

Does this look familiar ?¿  AND IT IS GETTING WORSE

CHAIN OF CUSTODY OF WOOD FROM PERUS FOREST TO MARKET

The forestry law in Peru was designed and paid for by the WWF and the US Agency for International Development.
Below listed are the steps required to harvest and export wood from Peru.
1: The first step is to purchase a piece of land to log or bid on a government owned forestry concession.
2: In order to cut timber you need a forestry logging permit in the case of land ownership or a license in case of a rented concession.
3: Once you have a forestry permit or a license it is required      that you have a licensed forester inventory the land in question and make a detailed logging and work plan.

4:  This Plan/Proposal is submitted to the Department of Natural Resources of Peru for modification and approval leading to an on site inspection.  Registration of all chainsaws is required with the Dept. Of Natural Resources.

5:  The next phase of the approval is an on site inspection of the property to be logged by the Dept. Of Natural Resources foresters and technicians verifying what trees are to be cut and how much per acre.  This includes the local name of the tree plus scientific identification.

7:  After the inspection the management plan is submitted to the Dept. of Natural Resources for approval.

8:  If approved the property plans are sent to the titling office in Lima for verification of the coordinates.

9:  If the six month process above is approved the owner of the permit can start harvesting the trees marked for removal.

10:  Once the logs are ready for transfer to Iquitos from the jungle an inspection by the Department of Natural Resources is required to verify that the wood came from the land designated.

11:  Each piece of wood is painted with the number of the logging license in the presence of the Department of Natural Resources official and scaled and inventoried prior to movement and forestry taxes are paid also prior to movement.

12:  With the signed inventory a permit is requested to move the wood to the factory for processing and the police are notified of the pending transport for the police inspection.

13:  Once the wood has reached an authorized factory with Department of Natural Resources approval it can be cut.

14:  For removal of the wood from the factory for kiln drying a transport permit is requires for movement.

15:  Once the wood is dry and a permit is obtained it can be moved to the processing facility.

16:  Once in the licensed processing facility and manufactured into a product a sanitary certificate is obtained after inspection by a division of the Health Dept stating that the wood is clean and free of any insects or other problems.

17:  When ready to export one more inspection is required by the Dept. of Natural Resources and police prior to obtaining the permit to move the wood to the port.

18:  With the above documents a Certificate of Origin is issued by the Chamber of Commerce authenticating the origin of the product.

19:  With all of the above starts the normal procedure of packing lists, bill of lading etc for Customs and the wood can be loaded on the ship.

20:  Once in a US port the next series of inspections starts and a year later the customer gets to buy a piece of wood.

If all of this seems a little out of hand just consider that Loreto State of Peru where we are located is 30% bigger than Oregon and produces .005% 0f what Oregon produces every year.  The entire Amazon which is as big as the continental US and includes many countries produces 2.4 times the production of Oregon.

ADAMINMO

If I had to do all that , than I would probably find a new career!  :D  :D  :D

ADAMINMO

How are the mills doing in the teak? Hope all is well. Got any pictures to post yet?

crtreedude

Sawdust is being made today - all are in place, lots of logs ready to start slicing. Honest, I will try to get some pictures for you.

metalspinner

CR,
Don't cut it all before I get there in a couple of weeks. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

crtreedude

Have no fear, there will be PLENTY left for you...  :D

TexasTimbers

Quote from: ADAMINMO on September 19, 2008, 11:48:33 AM
If I had to do all that , than I would probably find a new career!  :D  :D  :D

You could always build sawmills or something. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!