iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB

Started by trainergeneral, September 11, 2008, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainergeneral

Looking at buying an outdoor furnace for Ontario Canada ... Was thinking on a Heatmore , then ran into a person that sells the Aspen made by GreenWood in Bellevue WI. seems like an awesome unit --meets and exceeds all the epa testing. Does anyone know anything about this company or furnace > thanks in advance.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum trainergeneral. I have a Heatmor and like it.Here's one thread on OWB.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,22620.0.html

There are a few more too.Do a search on the top of the page.this will give you some more threads to read.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

splitter

Trainergeneral, I've had a heatmor in for three years now, heats my hotwater and house.  Don't know anything about the other furnace. I sure like the way you take the ashes out of my heatmor. I'm well pleased with my furnace. Splitter

wannabeonetoo

Hello trainergeneral;I've got an Empire (built right here in Canada by the way !!). It's their S/S model , I've had it 3, going on 4th heating season. It works absolutely great !!
Heats 2400 sq. ft house with rad. floor ht. in basement,heat exchange coil in F/A oil furnace plenum and hot water for house ! I installed oil when house was built 6yrs ago because I was behind on construction and had to move-in in the fall.Also wanted A/C so needed duct work anyhow.Like I said the system works "peachy".
There are so many boilers out there now it is worth looking into them all.
A friend has a local dealership for a type which is very similar to one that is called Greenwood (I think ).He has studied and researched just about everything imaginable and went with these.
I don't know where you are but he is in Norwood , Ontario.
Give him a call , he'd be able to help I'm sure. Dean Barber , Norwood , Ontario,705-639-5486

trainergeneral

Thanks for the info...Live just north of Lakefield ( Birchview road ) do know any of the Lachman's,--  Devlins ?? Where did you purchase your furnace from and is he a good rep. ?Thanks again

barbender

I've had a heatmor for 2 winters- I really like it. I went with that brand because I know 2 people I work with had both had their Heatmors for 10 years when I bought mine. I figured as much as I was going to pay for it, it better last. I have heard in the past of many brands that would rust or burn through after 2 or 3 seasons. Not acceptable for something that you pay upwards of $5000 for. The heatmor definately burns a lot of wood though, they are forced air so they bring the temp up really fast, but they blow a lot of heat up the stack. I've looked at some different ones that use some kind of gasification technology that would be far more effecient I would think. But, with the forced air units, you can burn any wood, absolute junk you would never consider putting in a woodstove. Wet, rotten, whatever, just keep them full and they will happily burn it.
Too many irons in the fire

wannabeonetoo

I got mine from L.P. Wood heating Systems out of Belleville.He's been in business many years, so he must be reputable (he was good to me).
Don't know the Lathcmans or Devlins but know of them.
Be sure to give Dean a call he'll share all he knows with you ,straight-up too.
Tell him Steve told you to call.
   Steve

mur

Hello:

I run a Global Hydronics OWB - made in Manitoba.  I have spoken to our local Greenwood Furnace dealer and he says the Aspen series is awesome.  I am going to go over and see his demo model in use at his home later this Fall.  He states they are very efficient and almost smokeless compared to the average OWB.  Most outdoor boilers use lots of wood and smoke.  If you are in an area with no neighbours, smoke might not be an issue.  The "smoke cops" are becoming a reality around here.  Several small towns around here have banned OWB's.  Something to check out before you commit to buying one.  I use mine to heat the kiln and get rid of my waste. 
Don't dream it, be it.

sawguy21

OWB's must be CSA approved, ULC is likely o.k. too, for use in many communities in Canada.
The big issue is particulate, too many inefficient units especially with home builts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

slowzuki

And burning garbage and wet wood such as what was suggested above.  If you get a regular OWB, you may find your neighbours aren't too happy with you if you let it smoke.

There are a lot of gasification units around now and even some clean burn OWB's if you use good fuel.

I ended up putting a gasifier in my shop so the waste heat goes to the shop instead of the outdoors and into the ground.  I will set a pallet of wood in the door with the tractor and move it over to the boiler with my cheapy pallet jack.

SPIKER

just a note: I was looking there last wek and also noted that there is now a CB central boiler unit that is cleaner than the greenwood brand if that is what you are after but was about 1/3 more than regular unit from the contact I had at the fair they had one there for demo ...

EDIT IN:

I also wanted to point out that the CB guy stated that you have to do a bunch of BS to get/keep the warranty up for the units. they want you to pull samples of water/mix every so often and they want carbon/deposits off the inside to see if you have been burning garbage ect only dry wood was aloud to be burnt ect ect ect.  sounded like a lot of "our warranty is so much better"   That is until you read the fine print type thing and was 3K more than the comparable woodmaster which was also at the fair.

so I had to edit that in..

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

wannabeonetoo

What exactly are the emission claims of these new-fangled OWB's ? What required moisture content has to be met are the claims achievable with regular air dried firewood ??Have any independent studies been published on stoves that have been set up and are being used by JOE AVERAGE.
Sorry to sound like a skeptic  :-\, but a lot of these claims are under Perfect conditions which don't apply in the real world;kind of like the claimed mileage #'s for autos.
    Steve

shoehorny

wannabeoneto,

Here is a link to the EPA site that shows all of the ratings for tested units: http://www.epa.gov/woodheaters/models.htm.  Keep in mind that the independent lab that tested these OWBs did so in a "controlled" environment.  Performance may vary under live conditions.

Good luck!

BTW - I have the Sequoyah Paradise unit.  It works pretty darn good!

Mike

MyOutdoors

Shoe, do you have the E3400?  I'm ready to purchase either the Sequoya or the E-Classic.  How does it perform?

Tom Sawyer

I was looking at the Greenwoods at the Woodstock Wood Show this past weekend and the guy there told me that they only work like they are supposed to if you are burning large pieces of wood.  If (like me) you are wanting to burn your slabs from the mill the Greenwood is not the one for you (his words, not mine).

Tom

shoehorny

Quote from: MyOutdoors on October 06, 2008, 08:11:58 PM
Shoe, do you have the E3400?  I'm ready to purchase either the Sequoya or the E-Classic.  How does it perform?

Yes, I do have the E3400.  In fact, I have the very one that was tested by the EPA (first in line!).  It works great!  It does use a lot of wood and it does smoke at start up and when it cycles on.  I wrote a review of this OWB at Epinions.com: http://www.epinions.com/content_413682077316.

There are a couple of big differences in the two OWB mentioned: One of them is the Sequoya uses a draft inducing fan that blows air into the combustion chamber when ignition is required.  This dramatically increases the speed the furnace heats up.  The E-Classic does not have this fan (unless purchased as an option).  I am not sure if the draft inducer is a good thing and I plan to play around with it over the winter.  One thing is that once the fire burns all of the wood away, the fan will turn on.  This is okay when you are constantly feeding the furnace with wood, but for occasional use it becomes a problem since it essentially ends up cooling the heated water tanks and blowing the heat out the chimney. 

If I had to buy a new OWB today, I would still go with the Sequoya.  They have the absolute best customer service anywhere!

Mike

MyOutdoors

Thanks Mike for the link and review.  I'm going with the E3300.  I was worried about smoke but I've watched my neighbors E-classic and it obviously smokes when put in bypass and loaded as well.  I did notice you claim it burns alot of wood?  How many cords did you burn through the winter heating your 3000 sqft home and DHW?

shoehorny

Opps!  It has been a while since I've visited this forum....  This will be my second year with the E3400.  My wife likes to keep the house toasty warm all winter (we have three young children).  So, we went through at least 12 cords of wood.  I got sloppy counting wood midway through the season last year since I ran out and had to get rescue loads of wood.  I burnt all sorts of wood: pine, oak, maple, cedar, willow, poplar - whatever I could get my  hands on.  It has been pretty warm so far this year in NJ (up until now...). So far I used up about two cords of wood.  We heat our home and hot water with the heat.  When it is cold out, like today (20 degrees F), there is very little smoke that comes out of the chimney.  When it is warmer (above 40 degrees) it smokes a bit more.  There have been some minor problems with the unit, but easily fixable stuff (a couple of fire bricks broke in the fire box, the little metal can used to show water level developed a hole in it.  I just screwed a piece of wood to it and it floats fine.  Also, the draft fan is making some noises...not sure about this one yet.)  Regarding the comment about using big pieces of wood in the Greenwood OWB....this holds true for ALL OWBs!  The bigger, the better.  Big wood is condensed fuel that will burn longer and let less air into the fire chamber.  You can still use slabs, pallets, or thinner wood and the OWB will work fine, albeit it will be less efficient.  You should only use dry, seasoned wood in ANY brand OWB.  Regardless of the claim by the manufacturer.  Burning wet wood decreases efficiency by large margins.  By burning wet wood, you essential end up drying off the wood in the fire box, which takes up heat energy that could be used for heating your home.  It is never a good idea to use wet or green wood for any fire! Period!  Most of the OWBs sold today operate using the same principal concerning burning practices.  For all fires, you should start a small fire in the fire box using a small amount of paper and dry twigs.   After the fire starts, add larger twigs/branches.  Then add your seasoned fire wood.  Have your wood handy - near by.  Never burn cardboard (creates LOTS of ashes), junk (creates toxic smoke which YOU will breathe), or anything but dry wood.  Wood does not need to be any particular kind (such as oak or other hard woods).  The hard woods will burn more efficiently, but soft woods are fine for burning too.  Do not leave the fire box door open too long while you gather fire wood, for you allow cold air in the fire box and smoke (aka unburnt fuel) to escape through the door opening.  For gasification models, fill up the fire box with as much wood as you can.  The more you fit in, the more efficient the unit will run.  Don't worry about "using up" all of your fire wood.  If the OWB works as it should, the fire will die down after the aquastat shuts the damper off.  It only burns the wood when there is a call for heat.  When it is not burning, it is smoldering.  If you want to know the best makes of OWBs, check the EPA web site in the link above.  Although the tests are made in a controlled environment, the efficiency ratings are pretty accurate.  Do not get a non-EPA approved OWB!  They are pretty expensive to buy and setup, and you will kick yourself if some gov inspector comes around and tells you to stop using it because it does not meet clean air standards.  Also, if you live in close to other homes (e.g., a neighborhood) and you get an OWB, you might get neighbors upset really fast.  These OWBs are best for people living in remote ares (farms, woodlands, parks, etc.).  If you live in a neighborhood, and you want to burn wood, you might want to consider getting an efficient indoor burning furnace instead (less smoke).  Also, check with your local ordinances first to see if the town has laws against burning wood.  Also, if you do get an OWB, get the proper permits to install it:  electric and plumbing.  It cost a few dollars more, but God forbid your house burns down, the insurance company will have an out if your OWB was not approved by the town.

I do not frequently check forums, so if you reply back to me it might take a while for me to respond.  Good luck!

Thank You Sponsors!