iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ALSTOR 8x8 mini forward

Started by redneck logger, September 10, 2008, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck logger

do you guys think that this machine would be good engouth to thin woodlots .
got to love working in the woods

beenthere

redneck
The Alistor 8x8 looks like it would be small enough to get around. What would constitute "good enough" in your mind?

Economical?
Certain volume (cords, bdft) per day?

Do you have a dealer from which to buy, and how much are they?

If nothing else, they look like fun.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kobelcosk35

if i were possibly looking into it i think i would change my mind and try to make one like it

Woodhog

Thats a cute little outfit...(maybe a little too cute)

It looks like it would work good for thinning around N.S. It crawls around over the rocks etc quite well in the pictures.

The engine is just a twin Briggs and S...so you could get service easily. It is gas, dont know what the consumption rate would be, but I have a ride on mower with the same engine and is bullet proof.. I would think it would go thru a lot of fuel in the woods pulling hard.

I see it is made in England.

I always stay clear of serial number 1 products. If you need special parts and service they might not be in business next year or so....

You would probably do just as well with less up front money and risk to buy and old 4x4 farm tractor converted for woods work, with a forestry trailer or power trailer and a small loader, also a winch for the 3 point hitch on the back, up your way a friend of mine bought an almost brand new Patu loader and trailer for 12,000 a few weeks ago, it was just like new....winches are for sale everywhere for about 1500 in excellent shape, and lots of 4x4 tractors, you can use the tractor for other jobs as well, plow snow in winter etc., maybe even get a backhoe attachment, you have to be versatile in todays forest climate which is in the toilet around N.S.

Also easier to get rid of the tractor gear when you need to (someday you will)

You could also get a chipper , lots of blow downs now a days that people want cleaned up.

You can do really nice thinning with a winch if you have the time to run it properly, cut trees off, let them fall against others and yank them out of the clump...

I wouldnt invest a lot of dough in N.S. forestry ventures at the moment

Also better service for the tractors...if you get one over 62 HP on the power take off you wont have to pay GST in it...

Dont pay any farm equipment dealers what they ask as they are not selling any significant sized tractors only the small toy tractors are selling, as the farmers like us, have no money.

It is a buyers market...

redneck logger

i was thinking about skidding wood with a forcat 2000 and forward wood with it to

or a john deere 810d foward 

Woodhog

Go with the Deere and make sure your saw chain is plenty sharp :D :D :D :D

redneck logger

yeah i think i will go with (woodhog) because the deere will be about $150,000 and its cooler.

John Mc

Quote from: redneck logger on September 13, 2008, 02:06:29 PM
i was thinking about skidding wood with a forcat 2000 and forward wood with it to

I had a friend demo a Forcat 2000 on my property for a group of landowners last winter. Quite a capable little machine, for its size. Seems pretty well thought out, and a LOT cheaper than some of the full-sized equipment. If I were looking for something in this size range, I'd be considering it. The original models had gas engines. I believe they are now making them with diesels. They've also made a few other refinements in the design over the past couple of years.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

moonhill

http://www.alstor8x8.co.uk/diesel.html

The Alstor does come with a diesel.  Still don't know the price.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

MDLogging

Whats The price of those machines

MDLogging

Quote from: MDLogging on December 25, 2009, 06:54:50 PM
Whats The price of those machines

The Alstor 8X8 to be more specific

firefighter

I watched the video of this machine and it does a good job getting around in the bush does anyone know the price ?

zopi

I'd have to go with the Deere...they will be around next year...

If I were going to build somethinf like that, I'd find an old Jacobsen
forward deck grounds mower..the diesel powered one, and adapt hi float tires,
and add a grapple trailer..power a small skid grapple off the mower hydraulics
and use aux hydraulics to run the grapple....

and a sharp chainsaw...;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

moonhill

What is the cost of one tire on the Deer? 

I just want a few rafter now and again and to do a little selective cutting and thinning, improvements on the land.

Those Brits put out some small stuff,  Avant is another ATV type of multi purpose vehicle.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/avant-tecno-oy/multi-purpose-utility-vehicle-62812-403751.html

Tim

beenthere

Quote from: moonhill on December 25, 2009, 08:51:27 PM
What is the cost of one tire on the Deer? 

Deer has legs.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moonhill

I just read on another site the cost is around $30,000.  I must say that is a lot of dough. 

Tim

charlieh

i have seen the alstors demo'd over here, they are very good, cover most terrain, will pick up some supprisingly big logs, and are a very good unit,

but they have small engines, no more than a ride on mower, and they are hugely expensive, they are made in sweden i think but the website, found is for the UK importer, engines etc are just honda/briggs and stratons so parts arent an issue and the hydraulics are standard parts, so i think you would get sorted pretty easily, i personally would look at a second hand small "proper" forwarder though, unless your trying to work on very sensitive sites, or thinnings in very small softwood plantations on narrow rows

maple flats

looks like too short of a wheel base to be stable enough to pull a heavy load unless the trailer can not pivot up or down , only sideways to turn. I would look for something more conventional.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

sjfarkas

They look impresive, but there stats show it can only carry a little over 4000lbs.  That's not that much.  If they had the ability to carry a little more I would think it would be a good investment.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Thank You Sponsors!