iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auburn University National Portable Sawmill Survey

Started by TexasTimbers, September 10, 2008, 01:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Anyone but me think this is just more government skullduggery? In the letter, which I assume most of you also received, they make some of the following statements in italics:

The study is being conducted by the Auburn University Departments of Forestry and Rural Sociology/Agricultural Economics. You were selected as a possible participant because you are a portable sawmill owner and/or operator and are age 19 or older. Where did you get my name. ???

Are there any risks or discomforts? There are little to no risks involved in completing this survey ... "Little" to no risks? If this were a lotto ticket I might bite, but with a government-funded grant like I know they received there are always strings . . . I don't like the odds.

. . . and your answers will be kept strictly confidential. :D see above

We have tried not to ask sensitive questions, but knowing something about the economics of sawmilling, and the economic status of sawmill owners, will be helpful to us in developing Extension programming to promote increased use of portable sawmills. emphasis added.  Um, I don't want to help you increase my locoal competition TYVM, it's hard enough to make ends meet as it is without having you not only educate my competition but to create it from scratch.

We/I cannot promise you that you will receive any or all of the benefits described. "We/I"? You want me to submit sensitive info to someone/persons having a major identity crisis? 

My sarcasm is not meant as "meanness" but just my way of highlighting how subtle and widespread the collection of information is presented as being so innocuous. Call me paranoid, but I think anyone who sends me an email telling me my name, email, and that I am a sawmill owner over 19 years of age and where I live has enough for their survey already since I did not knowingly grant them the permission to store it in their database.

Of course, every TOS "I Agree" box you check when doing anything online, pretty much wipes out any privacy you thought you had. ::)

Your decision about whether or not to participate or to stop participating will not jeopardize your future relations with Auburn University, the Department of Forestry or Department of Agricultural Economics/Rural Sociology. Well that's a load off. I have been considering running for the Dean's position.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

:D

I like your commentary Dean TT. :D

Your info was probably gathered from a manufacturer of your equipment or from a publisher of a periodical.  They share or sell their lists all the time. My mailbox - the real one - is beginning to show this type of collaboration with the half dozen catalogue's I recieve each day this time of year. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

TT
I received it too, and don't have a sawmill.

So..likely not a mfg. of equipment.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

i got the email, i thought it was real mail from your post.

I have to rethink my paranoid statement....

pretty unprofessional way to conduct a survey, IMO.  I won't be participating, especially on anything that says "surveymonkey"

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I got it too.  It is a project for a graduate student thesis I am sure.  I will fill it out because, in the ancient days, I too was a graduate student.

Come on guys, fill out the survey.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TexasTimbers

If it is a grad project, which you do not know if it is or not, then it is very deceptive and dishonest in which case he/she doesn't deserve my time. 

Radar67

I got it to and did some research on where it came from. None of the addresses listed for Auburn are real. It was sent to over 1700 people. The email itself originated from spacemonkey's email server, but there is no valid return email address in the header. I would be very wary of anything to do with this email. I purchased my mill used, so it is not manufacturers selling a list.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

TexasTimbers

I knew it wasn't a manufacturer. I figured an industry related mag, online or otherwise, or else a blade manufacturer something like that. I don't know what spacemonkey is but it doesn't sound very Auburn-ish. After what you said Radar I think it must be pernicious in some way.

Sometimes it pays to err on the side of paranoia, eh Dan? ;)

Dan_Shade

WDH

It may be just that they (Auburn) are using one of the survey companies out there.  If it is a major concern, you could contact Dr. Barlow at Auburn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Now that I have read this, I realize that I got it also. I never opened it. It went straight to spam, then deleted.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CLL

Got it myself today, bellieve I will do with it what I do with my wife. IGNORE IT!!!!  8)
Too much work-not enough pay.

fat olde elf

Come on, guys........Now I'm feeling left out as I haven't received the survey......Interesting as my mill was built in Alabama......But I bet Cook's wouldn't share their customer list...
I try to be careful with all the stuff that's floatng out there in cyberspace.......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

beenthere

Quote from: fat olde elf on September 11, 2008, 04:18:06 AM
..............But I bet Cook's wouldn't share their customer list...
I try to be careful with all the stuff that's floatng out there in cyberspace.......

As I mentioned, I don't own a mill, but still received a survey. So it wasn't a manufacturer's list they worked from.
Would have been helpful to have disclosed just what was behind the survey, and the use of the email list. Maybe there wouldn't be so much rejection of helping out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

I got it too and don't own a mill.  Wonder if it might not be subscription list from Sawmill and Woodlot?  Mag subscription lists are commonly sold.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Radar67

I decided to go check the space monkey site (not from the link in the email). One of the first things I noticed was all the ads, and the link to the XXX site. That was enough for me......besides, I didn't see anything about surveys on the site.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

TexasTimbers

Well that says enough for me as well. I did not click any of the links in the email either. I have ended up on xxx sites enough in the past to know better, but still I wouldn't have figured this email for that. I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding a virus or tracking worm.

I just had an overall bad feeling about the email from the first paragraph on. I was going to try and find out more today but with what Radar saw that's all the research I need.

timberfaller390

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
I got it too.  It is a project for a graduate student thesis I am sure.  I will fill it out because, in the ancient days, I too was a graduate student.

Come on guys, fill out the survey.
If it is a student project there are tons of better ways to gather info, Like joining our forum. I didn't get the E-mail which is suprising if it did originate from a magazine subscription cause I get 4 logging/sawmilling mags 1 wildland fire mag and untold numbers of industry related catalogs not to mention hunting,fishing,truck and horse magazines. I also recieved an e-mail from someone named Ron Trout, about a new sawmill forum/locater. Has anyone else got that one?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

TexasTimbers

Quote from: timberfaller390 on September 11, 2008, 02:43:46 PMI also recieved an e-mail from someone named Ron Trout, about a new sawmill forum/locater. Has anyone else got that one?

I did not get am email recently but I think I did in the past. His website looks extremely familiar.

backwoods sawyer

I am familiar with Ron Trout,
He is a portable sawmill operator in California.
He is building a nationwide sawmill locator data base.
Here is his web site.

http://westcoastlands.net/
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Mooseherder

Got the survey too.  I own a dismantled Circle mill that we took apart 2 summers ago when it was purchased and I never cut the first piece of Lumber with it yet. ::)  ???
It'll be at least 2 more years before it is running.  Plus the survey is for portable mills anyway. :D

pigman

I didn't get the email survey and that is only half of the story.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: pigman on September 11, 2008, 07:24:41 PM
I didn't get the email survey and that is only half of the story.
??? Okay I'll bite as usual. What's the other half?

Dan_Shade

you'd better bring a sandwich if you want pigman to tell you a story :)

Thank You Sponsors!