iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw milling bar angle

Started by Jimbob, September 09, 2008, 09:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

Has anyone modified the angle of the chainsaw bar on their chainsaw mill so that instead of being perpendicular to the log, it now points somewhat forward. In other words, as the chain begins to enter the end of the log, the part toward the end of the bar starts cutting first ?

If so, how much of an angle change did you make and did it make a significant difference in the cutting speed ?

Thanks,
Jimbob

tyb525

On my Granberg Mini-Mill, I can easily angle the whole assembly so that it is at an angle. I don't notice much of a difference, and I think it might make the chain want to go off-course a little more, because it sometimes made "lines" (grooves) where I angled it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Shamus

I angled my bar forward into the log by about ten degrees. It seemed to help a little bit with speed (especially with smaller diameter logs), but not much. I didn't notice a change in the roughness of the cut personally.
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

cleargrain

Ditto to what Shamus said.  This also seems to make the exit from cut a little smoother for me.  I have not noticed a difference in the smoothness of the cut as tyb525 did.  Smoothness of cut seems to be more related to how carefully I sharpen the chain.

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!