iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rubber tarp straps / bungee cords

Started by Wudman, September 08, 2008, 11:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

Has anybody found a decent rubber / bungee strap to hold down tarps?  I've purchased a number of both black rubber and bungee straps and haven't found any worth a %$^&.  After a couple of months of sunshine, they have fallen apart.  I've bought rubber straps from NAPA, AgriSupply, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, and Wal-Mart.  There doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in the lifespan of the ones that cost .25 or the ones that cost $5.00.  I do have a couple of long bungees that came with a boat that I bought and they have held up well.  I just haven't been able to locate a comparable quality strap.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

OneWithWood

It takes a bit more to deploy but when I need durability and strenth I use nylon straps and ratchet tie downs.  Some refer to them as motorcycle tie downs.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ely

not to hi jack but............. it could be that they are making them at the same place that makes windshield wipers, used to they lasted forever, but now i have to change them out 2 times a year. and they dry out and crack quicker than they use to.  i would almost bet they changed what they call rubber now and did not tell anyone.

they done it once before with inner tubes. how many folks remember the red rubber inner tubes that you could makes slingshots out of. man those were the days.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

i guess its a southern thing or maybe just plain ol okie.

Sprucegum

The local tire shop gave me a busted inner tube, a big one from a truck, that I cut into strips and made my own bungee straps.
They been holding the chains on my tractor tires for a year now.....

jesse

i havent found any good ones. they last about a month and are about craced in two. wonder what the the truckers are useing on dump trailer tarps

tyb525

I think ratchet straps are very handy, although they are kind of expensive to use to tie down a tarp when you could use them for something else.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

cheyenne

How about clothsline it's cheap as dirt & will last longer. Plus you get to perfect your knot tieing skills. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

DanG

I bought a bundle of those rubber tie-downs from Mr. Hootie a few years back, and they have held up very well.  But, like socks in a washing machine, they tend to disappear after a while, and I only have a couple left.  I looked when I was up there a couple of weeks ago, and didn't find any.  By the time I got back to his office, I forgot to ask about them.  I'll try a little harder, next time. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Wudman

Thanks for the replies.  I'll take a shot with the inner tubes.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Skip

Go to a heavy truck dealer IH, Pete, etc. thats where I get mine or trailer dealer cost a tad more but they last a looooong time.

Thank You Sponsors!