iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

basswood

Started by nas, September 06, 2008, 07:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Is basswood any good for timberframing?  I have lots of big ones in my bush, and I mill timbers for local carpenters and I would like to get rid of some of these trees.
  I also have an order for some posts for a porch and I was wondering if butternut would be a better choice than pine.  They will be outside above ground.

Thanks
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

jfl

I have never seen any design value for basswood.  If it is so soft that no commercial grading has been made, it will be very difficult to know how strong it is, so what span can be used.

I can always be wrong, but I typed "basswood design value" in google and found nothing...

jf

Dave Shepard

I've read of basswood in old frames.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

It's very stable at least.
Too many irons in the fire

Tom Sawyer

You could easily carve lots of neat stuff in your frame ;D

nas

I do plan to use some butternut in a TF addition on my house and carve something into some of them.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!