iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About the Tax Survey

Started by CHARLIE, June 24, 2003, 01:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

The question really wasn't phrased too well. I believe that any government doesn't want to give up any of their freely aquired money.

Minnesota is one of the highes taxed states in the U.S.  Somewhere around 8th I think....maybe higher. After September 11th, Minnesota found themselves in debt just like many other states. Our new governor was determined to balance the budget by "Not raising taxes."  So, they cut back on what they were distributing to the counties and cities. The counties and cities claim they need that money, so they are raising their taxes to compensate. The net to the citizen is a local tax increase even if the state taxes aren't encreased, which means basically.....a tax increase.  So I believe when the Federal  Government reduces taxes, either the state, counties or city will raise taxes to compensate. >:(  The net is there is never a tax decrease at the bottom.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

The essence of the question is whether the state and local governments have followed the lead of the federal government, or has the federal government just shoved all the fiscal responsibility on the state and local governments.

A lot of stuff coming from the feds is a bunch of unfunded mandates that are placed on the shoulders of the smaller governments.  I object to those.

Cutting taxes isn't going to help things, or even maintaining the tax level.  Government is just too big and is starting to crumble under its own weight.  We have a $5 trillion deficit, which will reach $6 trillion probably by next year.  When the government goes into the market for money, interest rates are going to go up, just to attract investors.  Guess what happens to the wood industry, as well as many others,  when that happens.

Those $400 child credits are going to be financed by the children it is supposed to be helping.  

Our state is trying desperately to raise taxes.  So far, they raised taxes on tobacco.  They are looking to put slots at race tracks.  They have more lotteries.  But, they are going to have to raise income and possibly sales tax to get the relief they are seeking.  They are trying to abolish the local property tax.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

California is flat broke, they have been operating on borrowed money for most of the year.  That money is about to run out.  California doesn't have a problem with raising revenue they have a problem of spending more than they are getting.  The first things they do cut are disigned to illustrate the need for more money, schools mainly.  They have whole departments that do nothing of value but are fully funded.  They have three or four departments that address water quality.  Our county has three police departments that could be combined into one and give better service for less money on top of it.  Here it is gross management and fiscal errors that have got them into trouble.  We also have a legislature that is leaderless with no clear goals.  

Did I mention it appears that our governor "Goofener Gray Doofus" is about to get recalled?  The first successful one in the states history.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tom

Florida is one of the richest states even though we have no income tax. It doesn't make any difference though because the people in office never thinkl that they have enough. As long as the Government can assess and raise assesments at whim and without a public referendum/vote the everyday citizen hasn't much chance of imposing any control.

Going to zoning meetings and city council meetings may get your remarks on the record but it does about as much good as saying "Daddy, I don't want a whipping".

Now, if we could just get some real Floridians back in office instead of these "out-of-staters".  

OneWithWood

Ron has a good handle on what is going on.  I would add that all this tax cut smoke and mirrors is a sham.  The current administration knows the public does not want to think too deeply - for that matter neither do most politicians.  If you dig into the tax cuts you will see that many of the deep cuts are phased in over a ten year period with much of the activity at the end of the period.  The crafters of the plan know that the government will not be able to sustain if the plan actually comes to fruition.  They are betting that the opposite party will be in power when the porverbial hits the fan and will be forced to curtail the cuts and possibley even raise taxes.  That action will give the current party in power a wonderful platform for the election to follow.  Talk about a poison pill! :o

The only thing that is certain to come from all this is that the rich will keep more of the pie and recieve more of the bennies.  Consolidation of large world wide corporations will continue lessenning any competition.  We will all take it in the shorts for some time to come.

I wish my comments were not so negative but because the populace is so gullible and swallows whatever comes out of Washington as long as it is couched in mom and apple pie terms I honestly don't see it changing.  Wake up America!  The problems are of our own making. :'(
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bud Man

Thirty votes so far on the survey out of close to 900  forum members 3 %.  Kinda resembles the voting that takes place in the voting boothes around the country at election time, don't you think !   Most every city, county, state , and the federal govt. are finding themselves on the shortend of funds to continue this nonsense and are broke and are dreaming up ways to continue the escalation of taxes to justify their political existance, It's just a see-saw movement back n forth from top to bottom.  The present Motivating Gig is Homeland Security and lets scare the Hell out of everybody and place the burden back on the local level and let them raise their taxes on a local basis, seems to be working.   Then theirs the Education angle, Medical research angle, Starving children angle, World Peace angle, Aids in Africa angle, etc., etc.,   Wake Up Folks - Participate and Vote and not just when when the taxbite hits you personally.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Den Socling

I've thought about voting but wasn't sure about the right answer. The reason is, the locals (state on down) are all trying to make up for shortages. A little here and a little there. I know they are talking about higher "sin taxes" - more expensive beer. I know they are talking about increasing my property tax(s) - I'm in two counties. I know I'm fighting my rediculous "occupational priviledge" tax. Add them all up and I'm probably looking at a big hit.

D._Frederick

Out here in the NW, we have 8.2% unemployment, schools left out 3 wks. early (no money), bridge have weight limits because of cracks, state charges $3 to look at the ocean and now the state legislature is trying to get a 5% sales tax on top of a 9% income tax and property tax. Every thing a tax or fee. The state give retired employees more than they earned while working.

Tom

Occupational Privilege Tax?    :-/ :)

Ron Wenrich

You never heard of that one, Tom?  That is paid to a local municipality for the priviledge of working in their town.  A real windfall for those suburbs.

Another good tax is the occupational tax.  That's a tax levied on you depending on your occupation.  Clerks pay a low fee, while doctors pay a high fee.  For some reason, there seems to be a lot more clerks in those areas that charge it.  They live in some pretty nice houses.

Bud Man

Better get ready to hear about lots of innovative New Taxes !  Memphis is located in the S.W.corner of Tn. with Ar. and Ms. bordering and It's wanting to tax anyone not living in Shelby County and paying Shelby County taxes (which are outrageous) for the priviledge of working in Shelby County Tn.  They haven't figured out how to do it just yet because of the lack of representation, but the creative Taxing Minds Are Ticking and It's just a matter of time. Shelby County (Memphis) just discovered it needs to all of a sudden- out of the blue- raise Taxes $160 million to improve its schools and they only have 100K students-- thats $1600 / student.  So much for an on going maintenance program and how do you fight an issue of this type.  Each municipality within Shelby County (Bartlett, Millington, Germantown etc. )is also raising property Taxes of at least $100 to $400 per the average size home, no representation just three councilmen meetings and three votes and more Taxes to shell out.   Well my Taxes are now over $4,000 per year and it's time for me to find a new cave in a new location where half of the population is not living on or below the poverty level and in need of aid in the form of more Taxes out of my backside !   Any Good Ideas Out There ?????????
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tom

yeah, I got an idea :D

Food stamp usage tax.
unemployment tax
Corporate layoff tax (millage based on income of person fired)
Welfare income usage tax
Illegitimate child tax (per each with increasing tables for multiples.)
No-Poll Tax for those who don't register to vote.

Poor Tax (this is a link)

Ron Wenrich

The no-poll tax won't work.  With the motor voter registration, we now have non-citizens registered to vote.  

There is a group of people who want to eliminate all property tax and reduce the sales tax from 6% to 4%.  They will accomplish this by charging 4% for all purchases, including businesses.

I can see business sitting still for that one.  Add a 4% sales tax to your stumpage, then your logs, then your lumber.  Using a forester?  Add another 4%.   :o :o

Tom

Maybe if they don't tax services with a sales tax it would work better.  That's what Florida does and it makes sense.  No Sales tax on Service unless an item is sold.  
No Sales tax on necessities ie. food or medicine unless the food is prepared and sold as in a restaurant or the medicine is a patent medicine like Hadacol. :D

It's fair for business to pay sales tax if they aren't re-selling the item.  It' s the tax on a tax that gets under everyone's skin when it comes to sales tax. :-/

Thank You Sponsors!