iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hot use for Cedar!!!

Started by okmulch, September 05, 2008, 06:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okmulch

This will be a little guessing game.

i had a customer call from Paradise Texas and request some eastern red cedar logs. sounds fairly upfront but the use was for something i had never heard a use of erc for. They requested 6 inch diameter at small end cedar logs and wanted 2 cords worth.

To figure out the use , one will need to think way outside the box. ;D ;D ;D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Warbird

Someone is building an outhouse?  :)

Kansas

Had someone request some posts like that once from eastern red cedar-he wanted to make rustic type bunk beds out of them. He used the poles for the corners, and for some of the other construction. He seemed happy with the way they turned out.

thedeeredude

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

woodbowl

Those little carved name tags for key rings that you see hanging on a rack at tourest traps.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

logwalker

Outhouse liner? Oh sorry,  that's inside the box....   :D :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

okmulch

all good guesses!!
first clue: some of you have narrowed it down to OUTSIDE use so that is correct :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

scottr

SPIKER

slicing & cooking fish on?  (or is that white cedar?)
bird/Bat houses?
shingles perhaps
making small wooden boxes?? (ok that's the OUTSIDE OF A BOX! :D)  ::)
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

smoking?
fire starters?
ground up to keep bugs away
ground up to put inside of small pillows
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

Hot box like the one in Serg's newest post- Sauna ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

Cordwood construction was also my initial guess as radar suggested but since that was not it . . . .

Your use of "Hot" and "outside the box" is that a hint or to throw us off?

A swimming pool? If that is not thinking outside the box for logs nothing is. 

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

moonhill

I didn't see firewood in the mix.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

okmulch

hot is definitly a clue
outside the box means just a very unusual use for cedar.
spiker, this type of cedar has the oil in it that is not good to cook with.

low_48

Are they making a hot tub? Kinda like the old water towers on the railroads?

Left Coast Chris

Insect repellant, custom car dash or panels or parts.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

moonhill

I need more info.  If that is fair.  Are they going to convert the poles into some other dimension,  or are they using them as they are?    Tim

stonebroke

Meadows Miller

Gday

a rotundah , pragola . entertainment area out door structure somthing along those lines 6" tops is getting pretty specific for a end use what length?

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

TexasTimbers

I doubt they would be using the oil or else they would not specify 6" tops. They are building with them or using them in some kind of construction purpose IMO.

I also think we can't limit oursevles to ideas that only make sense. For example, they could be thinking that ERC is impervious to rot in all conditions and that is not the case.

Maybe they are going to knock 2 of the slabs off, cut them into 2" to 4" fltiches and use them to make a roadbed. ??? If you get most of the sap off of them this could be an economical application, and they would last a good while used this way. You would not want wide flitches for this because they would split from the weight of the vehicle. Thus the 6" tops.

okmulch

moonhill is on the right track with using fire. :) :)
they use the poles as is but can only use them one time.

Meadows Miller

Indian sweat tent tipi  wigwam

Warbird

I was thinking a teepee but that probably isn't it...

sawmilllawyer

Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

TexasTimbers

Torches for nightime sporting events?

Green driveway lighting?

A large ember for pig roast?

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

scsmith42

Ditto Paul's guess re a cremation pyre...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

I got an idea!  Maybe they're gonna saw them up into lumber and make some boxes to store things in.  Bugs don't like cedar, so they could make these boxes and folks could store their clothes and blankets in there, so the bugs would stay off of them.  They could call them "Cedar Chests."  Wow! I've impressed myself!  I hope I'm wrong about what they want with all that Cedar.  I want to be the first one out with this revolutionary idea. ;D 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

Quote from: DanG on September 07, 2008, 11:32:41 PM
I hope I'm wrong about what they want with all that Cedar. 

You could call it your hope chest,DanG :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

okmulch

Everyone is giving some good ideas and guesses. So far Paul_H is the closest with cremation pyre.
Second is TexasTimbers with embers for pig roast.
I am sorry to say that DanG is the furthest away with his guess of cedar chests but I think everyone should have a cedar chest and people should make more of them.  :D

Last clue before the reveal:

We know that embers are involved and people but it is not cremation. :)

tyb525

Firewalking? Giant incense burners? Giant ashtrays?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

moonhill

A bed of coals, then someone will walk on the hot coals.   Tim

Cedarman

I tell you what!   Just got a second order from WVa for a cord to do the same thing.  This is weird. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

TexasTimbers

Maybe for a Native American ceremony or spiritual ritual. Moonhill may be describing part of such a ceremony.

okmulch

CONGRATULATIONS tyb525 and moonhill and TexasTimbers. 8) 8) 8)

Firewalking is the answer . The place the materials went to holds conventions for different groups and from what I gather from them firewalking is a big deal there. They had tried some other wood and it did not work out well so they requested eastern red cedar. They could not find ERC in there area. They contacted us from our website and originally talked to my dad "cedarman". They then contacted me and we had some small logs that fit the bill. So they came up and picked them up last Thursday.

Hope everyone had  fun guessing and playing along. Just when you think you know all of the uses for cedar and have heard it all, that next phone call can be surprising. :) :)

woodhick

Cedarman, where abouts in WV, I may want to stay away! :D
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

moonhill

I am guessing some more, was the other species too hot?  And do we get a prize for participating?     Tim

isawlogs

Ya get to try it out  :o ;D ;D 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

okmulch

Moonhill
I do not know exactly what other species was used or tried but they were very specific when asking for the ERC. I like isawlogs answer for the prize. I will supply you with the ERC. :D

moonhill

No thanks, I am sure it will give me blisters.  Tim

Meadows Miller

AHHHH Dam I thought of that :D but why 6" tops? ???

Meadows Miller

Gday Tim

the trick is to do it in a pair of Blundstone Boots 8)  You wont feel a thing  :D :D :D :D

Chris

okmulch

Meadows Miller
They requested 6 inch tops because they tried smaller pieces and they did not make the right size coals. They said they were going to split the wood at the butt ends (which are bigger of course then 6 inches) before burning also.

metalspinner

QuoteThey had tried some other wood and it did not work out well

So what happened to the poor guy that things "didn't go well" for?  yikes_smiley
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ellmoe

Quote from: metalspinner on September 09, 2008, 07:44:12 PM
QuoteThey had tried some other wood and it did not work out well

So what happened to the poor guy that things "didn't go well" for?  yikes_smiley

Are you talking about "Stumpy"?  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

tyb525

That reminds me of when I watched an episode of Good Morning America, and saw them demostrating firewalking. It seemed amazing, until I saw them constantly spraying water on the coals, so that they didn't glow at all, and the participants ran quickly over them.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

::)  But I suppose Id be fussy to if I was walking on FIRE :D :D :D ;D

Thanks Mate that was a fun night guessing and watching everyone having a Crack :D 8)

Chris

TexasTimbers

Quote from: okmulch on September 08, 2008, 06:26:55 PM
CONGRATULATIONS tyb525 and moonhill and TexasTimbers. 8) 8) 8)

Well that was pretty fun. I am writing my acceptance speech.  ;D

tyb525 hit it smack dab on the head! But since Paul and I were also considered as getting close enough, let's not forget Scott who also guessed it :) . . . .

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 07, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
Ditto Paul's guess re a cremation pyre...

tyb525

I don't think I would walk on them either  :D

semologger

texas timbers you could just invite them down your area. they could take off the shoes and walk across the pavement in the summer time. just take them to a nice big parking lot and drop them off and the first one to make it to the other side wins.

Thank You Sponsors!