iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Okay.... I have a Palin question!

Started by cantcutter, September 05, 2008, 01:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cantcutter

The video they played at the convention talked about her first acts in office as selling the plane and firing mansion staff. They insinuated that it saved tax payer money.... in a state that does not tax it's residence! I know there is luxery tax on alcohol, tobacco, ammo etc. And taxes on fisheries and licenses, etc.... But those taxes funds are dedicated already and did not pay for the plane or the staff.

They have property taxes in some cities and sales taxes, but those are local taxes and also did not pay for the plane and staff! The state operates off of oil royalties and that is the money that pays for the states plane and staff members... So why did she really sell the plane and cut those jobs?

Radar67

My understanding of this she sold the plane and released the staff to be able to give more of the oil revenue money back to the people.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

cantcutter

Quote from: Radar67 on September 05, 2008, 01:51:24 PM
My understanding of this she sold the plane and released the staff to be able to give more of the oil revenue money back to the people.
She got 2 million for the plane and counting flight crew saleries maybe saved 300 k. Divide that by the 600,000 who recieve the pipeline fund check and the each get $3.83 :D

OneWithWood

That's what I call a fiscal conservative! Yessirree  8) 8)

Maybe she just wanted to upgrade the plane and place her own people in the mansion...? 

Of course if she were to get elected as the VP she will have a much bigger plane and service staff to give the heave-ho to  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Radar67

That's another gallon of gas they can buy.

What about the yearly upkeep of the plane and the fuel usage? Besides, she's the governor and decided she didn't need a 2 million dollar plane to get around in, so what is the big deal? She didn't put the money in her pocket.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

or, it freed up that money for better spending.

hard to say, the line a lot of conservatives (including myself) push is that we should cut some things to fund others, it's wise spending.

the debate surfaces on what to cut.  it's not a bottomless pit of money.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

cantcutter

I found my answer in the Fairbanks Miner; its an interesting read.

The biggest factor in the decline in travel expenses was the sale of the jet, which cost $1,689 an hour to fly.

Palin traveled frequently, sometimes commercial and sometimes by a King Air turboprop owned by the Department of Public Safety.

A look at the numbers shows that even comparable trips by the two governors had different costs. Both Palin and Murkowski, who finished third in his bid for re-election, attended the National Governors Association meeting in Washington. D.C. While Palin spent $1,885 on lodging, Murkowski spent $6,599, staying in an "executive" suite JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue for a week at a cost of $937 per day, including tax.

The jet issue still rankles some legislators. Murkowski bought it without explicit legislative approval, financing it by selling a state police King Air and entering into a lease-purchase agreement for the remaining cost.

Now, some in the Legislature want to ban the use of lease-purchase agreements, which some think enable the executive branch to spend money without legislative approval.

The House of Representatives has unanimously approved the measure; it is now under consideration in the Senate Finance Committee.

Warbird

I was going to get upset ...  but won't, as you've already found a decent answer.  That whole plane business with Murkowski was ridiculous.  He (and the plane) were costing us a lot of money.  Palin put the brakes on that whole deal right quick.

Toolman

No sense gettin upset Warbird.
The opposition obviously finds her as a threat to their "socialized" ways. They will pick her apart like a buzzard feasting on roadkill. This is an impressive woman. You are obviously proud that she represents you and will soon represent us all!! I am looking forward to it!!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

cheyenne

Toolman; Icould not agree more. Maybe this time we actually get people in there that won't suck the lifeblood out of the American People. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Toolman

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

cheyenne

Just pondering; Politicians treat us like were little children! Well we trust the care & upbringing of our children to our women. So why not let them care for & raise our country. I haven't seen a politician yet that could raise a PET ROCK. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Warbird

Quote from: Toolman on September 05, 2008, 06:42:17 PM
No sense gettin upset Warbird.
The opposition obviously finds her as a threat to their "socialized" ways. They will pick her apart like a buzzard feasting on roadkill. This is an impressive woman. You are obviously proud that she represents you and will soon represent us all!! I am looking forward to it!!!

Thanks Toolman.  It's just that Sarah Palin has proven herself to be a genuinely good person who cares about the people.  Seeing all of these lies about her and outright attacks...  it's a bit hard to take.  I can't imagine what it feels like to her and her family.

Ron Wenrich

Here's another one that I heard on the radio.  It involved the bridge to nowhere.  It said that she rejected the bridge, but never rejected the money.  They also said that the approaches to the bridge are still under construction.  How much of that report was true?

The plane thing and the mansion help are more symbolic than anything else.  She didn't need the plane or the help (she lives at home, from what I heard), so she simply got rid of what she didn't need.  Its how we run our lives, so, why should we expect anything less from elected officials?  We talk about getting rid of waste, and when someone does it, they go after them.

Palin has come on like a bull in a china shop.  Its making everyone scramble to discredit her.  They're just trying to tarnish the armor.  I don't think its Palin herself, but the idea of what she represents.

State level administration requires that budgets be balanced.  If she can bring that to the federal level, then I'm on board.  Telling me you're going to throw money at problems and have no means of funding them will lose me. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Warbird

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on September 06, 2008, 06:50:48 AM
Here's another one that I heard on the radio.  It involved the bridge to nowhere.  It said that she rejected the bridge, but never rejected the money.  They also said that the approaches to the bridge are still under construction.  How much of that report was true?

I don't know.  I've taken next week off from work so I can finish work on the house and prepare for winter.  If I get some extra time, I'll call down to Juneau and ask around.  If you find further information, please post it here?  I'm curious about this one, too.

The plane thing and the mansion help are more symbolic than anything else.  She didn't need the plane or the help (she lives at home, from what I heard), so she simply got rid of what she didn't need.  Its how we run our lives, so, why should we expect anything less from elected officials?  We talk about getting rid of waste, and when someone does it, they go after them.

Completely untrue.  Juneau is the State Capitol.  Wasilla is where Palin lives.  Look at scaled map.  You'll find Wasilla and Juneau are a very long way from each other and you'll also find you cannot drive to Juneau.  If anything, she needed the jet more than ever.  Also, the Governor of this state has to travel to the lower 48 a lot (again, check a map.  It's a long trip).  A personal jet would be nice.  Those are the original arguments Murkowski used when he bought the thing.

The mansion, yeah, she didn't need it because she has a home and opted to live there.  If you want to say this was symbolic, okay.  I cannot refute it.

Palin has come on like a bull in a china shop.  Its making everyone scramble to discredit her.  They're just trying to tarnish the armor.  I don't think its Palin herself, but the idea of what she represents.

Agreed.

State level administration requires that budgets be balanced.  If she can bring that to the federal level, then I'm on board.  Telling me you're going to throw money at problems and have no means of funding them will lose me.

This is what I don't get about Alaska and our budget.  We have HUGE surpluses.  And I mean huge.  Those high oil prices padded our coffers with millions upon millions.  As Governor, Palin started spending money on things to help the state and the people, and I'm here to tell you that we needed it.  Read my response to "Anne's letter" in the Stumping thread.  What I don't get is how everyone says Palin was spending money she didn't have.  How can they say she did not reform the State budget?  She cut out so much fat, it isn't even funny...  yet she still gets attacked for what she did spend money on??  The majority of stuff that pretty much anyone with an IQ of at least 60 could make a solid case showing it was needed or positive?  It boggles my mind.

All that being said though, Ron, you sort of bring up something I've been kicking around about all of these attacks and questions.  Most folks don't know Palin like I do.  Given her character and charisma, they want to know as much as possible, right away.  So some of this stuff I can understand.  Only some of it, though.

Regardless, the people, myself included, have a right to know about these sorts of items.  Again, I don't know everything about what the Governor is doing or has done (I've got a life to live, too!  ;) ) but I will work with the rest of you to try to get honest answers.  Thanks for bringing this stuff up.  I'm really curious about the bridge money now.

Rocky_Ranger

CBS reported the other night she (Palin) was in favor of the bridge project while running for office, then turned against it and kept the money for other projects.  Supporting Ted Stevens I reckon.  I am not enamored with the woman but stuff like that (her turn about) I like.  The earmark should have probably been returned, trashing earmarks while spending the money sends quite a mixed signal.  I for one, however, support earmarks.  They should be part of a balanced budget though.......
RETIRED!

SPIKER

I don't know this for sure but some where in my memory I think she stated she sold the jet as when she flies she takes a small charter and or bush plane and didn't need a jet that costs so much more to run fly keep setting ect.   Maybe her hubby flew her around?  Doesn't he have a bush plane & fly's?

I am not sure about above statements but I thought that was what I heard (during speech and or interview that was done back in July with a CNN reporter)

as far as the bridge to no where I'm not sure on any of that...

I'm not in Alaska I'm in OHIO and I WISH we had people like that running our state instead we get people like Vonivich  ::)   :o >:( :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Don P

What I was researching yesterday was the "bridge to nowhere". A quick google will confirm the basic facts. I read from a half dozen sources. Yes she did campaign in favor of it and when congress decided not to fund it she turned against it. They did keep the earmark and used it for other purposes. This is all legal and may reflect things she learned after being in office. I'd say some is spin but it apparently didn't feel to good to the locals the other night to have heard her talk to them in favor of it and to the nation against it.

This morning I heard that she is under investigation and the outcome was not due till the end of Oct. I'm not sure if McCain knew this. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have though. I'd like to learn more about that.

Toolman

From what I learned concerning the ongoing investigation is this: Her ex-brother-in-law is a currentstate trooper in Alaska and there is a messy child custody battle going on . The ex-brother in law apparantly has'nt been handling the situation very well and has been harassing and threatening his ex-wife. Due to his actions, Gov. Palin wanted him removed for "conduct unbecoming of an officer". The person who was to have him suspended or removed did'nt or would'nt follow her order and was in turn fired. Thus, an investigation was started. I hope I got that right. I'm just repeating what I heard a guest on FOX News`explain it. If I got it wrong, I apologize.

PawNature

Quote from: cantcutter on September 05, 2008, 01:33:09 PM
The state operates off of oil royalties and that is the money that pays for the states plane and staff members... So why did she really sell the plane and cut those jobs?

In my opinion you only keep employees on payroll if there is need for their skills. Not because they have a Government job.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

DanG

I got a question about Palin, too.  What would the liberals be saying if it came to light that Gov. Palin had known that her Brother-in-law was a wife-beating, child-abusing piece of garbage, and didn't do anything about it? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rocky_J

On a lighter note, today I received another email about Sarah Palin. It might be just a tiny bit biased though...

QuoteDid you know that...

Sarah Palin does not have 5 kids, she actually has 7. Their names are Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper, Trig, Chuck Norris, and Jack Bauer.

The Northern Lights are really just the reflection from Sarah Palin's eyes.

The Russians sold Alaska to America because Sarah Palin would not submit to autocracy.

The Arctic Circle runs through Alaska so the Sun can have some relief from Sarah Palin's bright glare.

Sarah Palin is allowed first dibs on Alaskan wolfpack kills.

Sarah Palin is so pro-life that she personally hog-tied two reps from Planned Parenthood who came knocking at her door.

It's not raining in DC. Those are God's tears of joy that McCain picked Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin's hotness is the largest single contributor to melting polar ice caps.

Sarah Palin is the "other" whom Yoda spoke about.

Sarah Palin's presence in the lower 48 means the Arctic ice cap can finally return.

Sarah Palin fired Jack Bauer because he was too soft in dealing with terrorists.

Sarah Palin's pageant career ended early so other women could have a chance.

Sarah Palin's son Track is going to Iraq after the Surge, because a Palin during the Surge would have been unfair.

Sarah Palin wears glasses lest her uncontrollable optic blasts slaughter everyone. (X-Men reference)

Sarah Palin actually has Big Foot in her freezer.

Sarah Palin gave a speech in Texas after her water broke before flying home to Alaska to give birth. (Actually true)

Sarah Palin doesn't need a gun to hunt. She has been known to throw a bullet through an adult bull elk.

Sarah Palin once spilled coffee on Joe Biden & one of his $400 ties from Pink.

Sarah Palin keeps her hair in a beehive to hide her ninja weaponry.

Sarah Palin will personally open a homemade can of whoopa** on Ahmadinejad, Putin, and Chavez as soon as she's done making mooseburgers for her kids.

A grizzly bear once tried to stare down Sarah Palin. Once. Just once.

Sarah Palin will send Joe Biden a pre-debate cheat sheet. The sheet will have tips on defending against Kung Fu Death Grip.

Sarah Palin became governor because five children left her with too much spare energy.

Three of Sarah Palin's 5 kids came out sideways and she never flinched.

Global Warming doesn't kill polar bears. Sarah Palin does. Generally with her bare hands.

Sarah Palin was the original "Deadliest Catch."

Sarah Palin paid her way through school by hunting for Kodiak pelts with a slingshot.

Alaska is the 49th state solely because they knew even in 1959 that Sarah Palin never finishes last.

Chuck Norris wishes he was Sarah Palin trapped in a man's body.

Sarah Palin got Tom Brady pregnant, and then left him.

Sarah Palin killed and ate the Grizzly Man.

Sarah Palin once won the Iditarod without any dogs. She simply willed the sled to victory.

Sarah Palin wears half the makeup that John Edwards wears and still looks like twice the woman he does.

Sarah Palin once guided Santa's sleigh through an Alaskan blizzard with the light from her smile.

Sarah Palin fishes salmon by convincing them it's in their interest to jump into the boat

Sarah Palin will pry your Klondike bar from your cold dead fingers.

Sarah Palin is the only person on Earth who scares Jack Bauer.

Chuck Norris asked for Sarah Palin's autograph before she asked for his.

DanG

:D :D :D  This is a bit biased, too:  Did ya know that Superman wears Sarah Palin pajamas? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Quote from: DanG on September 06, 2008, 11:55:44 PM
I got a question about Palin, too.  What would the liberals be saying if it came to light that Gov. Palin had known that her Brother-in-law was a wife-beating, child-abusing piece of garbage, and didn't do anything about it? ::)

Interesting how that part gets left out, isn't it?  Let's see...  a known bad cop who the State Troopers will not fire (have you guys heard/read any of the transcripts?  This guy is bad news).  Kind of sounds to me like something a Governor *should* be involved in.  In fact, I would be upset with Palin if she had done absolutely nothing about it.  It simply does not matter that one of her family members was involved.

Warbird

QuoteSarah Palin wears half the makeup that John Edwards wears and still looks like twice the woman he does.

LOL!! ;D ;D  Thanks.  I needed that.

Thank You Sponsors!