iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sooo... are ya hiring?

Started by Tillaway, June 24, 2003, 12:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillaway

That right... I'm unemployed, have been "technically" all month.  This is the first time in my life I haven't had anything to do during the summer.  That doesn't bode well for the upcoming slow months.

So far the past few years I have been the only one I know staying busy.  Well... it finally caught up to me.  The consulting forestry business in California is on the rocks right know.  Pretty much every company has laid off most if not all thier employees.  About half the foresters I know are getting out of the business.  My old boss with 21 years service with one company is currently raiding his retirement fund, abandoning forestry altogether and just got his real estate broker license last week.  He officially starts selling real estate July 1.  Another is appraising real estate.  Another one is closing up shop and retiring.  Everyone is looking for something else to do in some other industry or profession.

Ironically the first listings my old boss is selling is two pieces of forest land.  His first generated listing he can call his own will probably be my place.  Thats right, looks like we are going to have to sell and get out of dodge...errr ... California.  Look out Pender I'm coming Home!
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, Till. If ya was headed this way, I can use another diver. The divers gene pool is drying up, especially when I bring up the subject of "braille" diving. ::) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dail_h

Shoot Deadheader,
   That ought not be no problem,I drive,saw,farm,deer and turkey hunt by braille,diving would be the same 'cept wet -right?
   now my oldest daughter might be interested,she'd ruther dive than eat I think
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tillaway

FDH
Lets see... I swim like a rock... but wait for you that might be a good thing. ;D

biziedizie

Deadheader I can't swim but I can drown pretty good though. :D

My ex saved my life once when I went over board, lost my footing and in I went. :( :o

Bet ya she wishes that she whacked me over the head with the paddle instead of letting me grab it. :D :D :D

Steve

Tom

I used to swim real good but I float so high now that my arms don't reach the water. :-/

Might could use me for a buoy. ;D

Paul_H

Tillaway,
Things have come to a grinding halt here too.We have finished our first block and are shutting down till the market picks up.We even shut the roadbuilding down which will leave us poorly when things fire back up.

We have our Cat wagon hired out to a large company for a couple of months.I've been running it for a couple of weeks so far,and we're hoping to do the same with the excavators.

Strange times :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

biziedizie

Hey Paul what's the deal with things being slow in B.C???
  My construction company looks like it's on the way down and I had to let all my guys go. I'm on my own again so for the good part I'm staying afloat. 8) 14 years without problems and then this???
  Sawmill is paying for itself so that's cool!
  Buying and selling cars, trucks and things like that but I sure would like to know what's going on!
  Got any ideas???

Steve

OneWithWood

Till,
Getting out of California is probably a good thing at this point in time.
Best of luck in Oregon.  You sound like a resourceful fellow so I am sure you won't be idle for long.
Kindest Regards,
OWW
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tarm

Tillaway
You should come to Wisconsin. I was told by a logger that he could get all the work he needed if he just had a forester on staff.
A little history:
Wisconsin is a high tax state. Over time the property taxes kept getting higher and higher until the farmers started screaming they were being forced out of business. The state in its wisdom changed the rules and began to tax farmland on its farmland value instead of its development value. Thoses smart assesors new how to get back a buck though so they jacked up the valuations and taxes on woodland. People responded by enrolling their woods in the Managed Forest Act. If you sign a 25 year contract with the state and agree to follow a written forestry management plan you would be entitled to much lower (80%) property taxes.  The problem came when landowners pocketed the tax break and didn't bother with the management. Many landowners especially did not want to harvest any timber, even if the plan called for it. Finally the state said "ENOUGH!" "If you landowners do not harvest the timber we will pull you out of the program and you will have to repay all the back property taxes on your land." Now the state sends out a notice when timber harvesting needs to be done. They send a copy of the notice to any consulting forester who wants to be on their mailing list. The state is so short of money that the state foresters will no longer do any sale administration. There is a serious pucker factor going on in rural Wisconsin these days.  
So Tillaway, how about Wisconsin?  

Ron Wenrich

So what's the deal with low market prices?  Interest rates are low, mortgages are low, and construction is way up.  Are you Canadians waiting for the tariff to be rolled back?  I guess the fall of the dollar hasn't helped much either.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

biziedizie

The fall of the dollar Ron? Our dollar or your dollar? Our dollar went up and that's good but it's being spent elsewhere.
  Construction on multi level buildings is rocking at the moment but anything else below that sucks! Commercial installs have dropped and if it's like this in June it won't pick up till Oct.
  I think that there's a major amount of lumber that's been stock piled and the big companys are trying to get rid of it before ordering more. That and this tariff isn't helping much.

Steve

inspectorwoody

Sorry to hear things are going slow for some of you. Best of luck in finding more work.

Things are staying busy here in good ol' Iowa. Mill is sawing 44 hours a week right now. 40 in by Thursday and Friday is all OT. Wish we would saw a full 10 hours on Fridays!

Wish I could find some part time inspection work or the alike. My girlfriend says I love work way toooo much  ;D Well I love doing what I do but I love the money more  ;D

Tom

Nothing like the jingle of dollar bills and rustle of pennies in your pocket, eh?  Hmmmmmm......or something like that.

Contrary to popular belief we all work for money.  I laugh when I'm told "you wouldn't be happy if you won that lotto".  Are you kiddin' :D

Well, there are times when I don't work for money,but, I always work for compensation even if it's a pat on the back. :D

DanG

I can't believe it!  Thirteen responses, and nobody suggested that Tillaway buy a sawmill. ???  Looks like a golden opportunity to me. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I might do that if he weren't in California. :)

I keep thinking, "Run...  Run..  Save yourself". :D

DanG

He'd better walk till he gets to the State line..I think there's a tax on running, there. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tillaway

Actually... I have kicked around the sawmill idea, and I haven't ruled it out.

Tax on running  ;D thats OK I know a back trail out of here, no boarder guards. ;D

Tom we are selling this place and moving to Oregon.  We are listing after the first of the month.  I will scope out sawmill potential wherever we wind up.  Not sure where that will be yet.

Thank You Sponsors!