iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Chariot

Started by brucehuggins, September 05, 2008, 06:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucehuggins

Fingers Crossed ... I think I have mastered posting an image.  The rules have changed since last time.   Anyway, Here is a pic of a device I use for bringing out logs.  For lack of a better term I will call it a chariot. 
I roll a log up onto a piece of 4X4 to get the end off the ground and then back the plate under the log end about 6" and throw a loop of chain around and buckle it up.   It takes almost no time to hook up and be gone.  I have used a variety of homemade archs, and skid plates over the years. 

Oldsawmillguy

Fla._Deadheader

Nifty little rig. How's it work in soft ground ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

I like that. You could even weld a rounded "keel", or just cut a large steel pipe in half and weld it on the bottom of your chariot say 3" or so higher than the bottom of the wheels, so when, as FDH points out, it wants to sink in soft ground the "keel" will still allow it to skid its way out until you hit harder ground again.

In really soft stuff the keel probably would not help epsecially pulling with a ATV. But it might make a difference in alot of stuff that the narrow wheels will sink int. If it sinks all the way to the bottom of your chariot you are stuck. the keel might prevent that from hapenening. Just thiking off the top of the noggin.

Really cool design though. Lots of potential for when a big arch is not necessary.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

brucehuggins

I always have enough things on my menu to put off skidding logs until it is drier.  I have learned this by getting stuck in the mud.  Over the years I have developed a network of trails that are downhill and avoid wet spots.  All but about 25 acres are accessible by downhill run. 

The wheels I use are replacement wheelbarrow wheels. A 1400# log puts about 700 lbs on the axle and this is about all I attempt with this rig. 
Oldsawmillguy

Dan_Shade

i use a similar rig to move logs around.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,24533.0.html

I had to change the dolly contraption, and now use regular trailer tires.  the larger tires makes it much easier to use.  I need to snap a new picture of my setup.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zackman1801

ive been thinking of building something similar but with no wheels. probably a direct copy of the log sled idea that they have on the web here. looks like a good idea but not worth the $600 for one, especially when i can get most of the parts for nothing.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

johncinquo

I made one out of an old snowmobile front end.   All steel.   Cut jagged teeth into the cross member that used to mount the engine. That catches the log and a simple tie down secures it.   Pulls great through the snow. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

maestro

I was kind of hoping there would be someone in Roman armor holding a hatchet and yelling "Spartaaaaaa!".  lol
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Thank You Sponsors!