iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Field day at OneWithWood's

Started by OneWithWood, September 02, 2008, 05:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Sustainable Forestry, Best Management Practices and Invasive Species Field Day

Sponsored by: Monroe County Soil and Water Conservation District and Indiana Tree Farm Committee

Saturday September 27, 2008
8:30 Continental Breakfast
9:00 Walk commences

Speakers: Robert Woodling-owner
                John Stambaugh-forester
                Dan Shaver-The Nature Conservancy

11:30 Lunch provided compliments of Indiana Tree Farm Committee
12:30 Sawmill demonstration

Space is limited RSVP is required by Monday, September 22, 2008 at 4pm

RSVP to Monroe County Soil & Water Conservation District
812-349-2046 or martha.miller@in.nacdnet.net

The Good-Woodling woods is located 8 miles northeast of Bloomington, IN.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Don K

Wish I was close enough to come :(

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Some pictures for us distance challenged people wood be nice ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

I am not too far and always wanted an excuse to go visit OWW. I hope they will let a Ky hillbillie in Indiana. Maybe I just won't tell them I live south of the river. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

OneWithWood

Come on up, Bob.  You will fit right in  :)

I will need to enlist someone to take a few pics because I might be a tad busy.
One With Wood

pigman

I will bring my camera and  even try to get Cedarman to ride up with me if he is not too busy.

Bob

MaddiesDad

Hey Bob the Kentucky Wood Expo is next weekend in Madisonville, Kentucky

Jeff

Who all is going to Robert's tomorrow?  Sure wish I could. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Cedarman and myself made it there today. Cedarman got mixed up on the date ( don't know how that could of happened  ::)) , but he got the date corrected and made it there.
OWW was a great host and the Indiana Tree Farm Committe furnished a good lunch, but Cedarman had to leave early and missed it.
Here is a picture for Bibbyman to prove OWW does use his mill and it does get dirty.

Several of the large beech trees in the woods were hollow as shown by this fallen tree.

We found these mushrooms, are they editable? They are about six inches tall.

We saw this piece of machinery. What was it used for before it was parked under the large maple tree?

breederman

Together we got this !

beenthere

Good pics.
The third one looks like a dump rake for windrowing mown hay.

Guess you could eat those 'shrooms and let us know (or not).

Glad you and Cedarman made it to OWW's...Bet it was a great day.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

OWW trying to see the top of a tall poplar.

This was a large white oak that the foresters present thought probably would make veneer.

This is somewhat less than veneer beech.

I just couldn't believe a tree farmer would be spraying herbicide on a tree to kill it. He did explain the the Tree Of Heaven was highly invasive and not a very good tree.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pigman

Quote from: tyb525 on September 28, 2008, 10:47:17 AM
I say whack em down
tyb525, the forester pointed out that if that type of tree is just cut new trees would  sprout from all of it.s roots. OWW does not like Tree of Heaven. OWW is a tree farmer, but I found out he does not hug all trees. ;D

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

OneWithWood

Makes honey locust look tame in comparison!

What a day!  Good food, good weather, good people  8)

It was a real treat to show off the woods and having Pigman and Cedarman show up was major icing on the cake  :)

Bob, how did you get my belly to look so big in that pic  smiley_headscratch

The old implement is what is locally known as a jump rake.  A horse drawn implement used as beenthere describes.  Mr. Harris, the original owner of the property, parked that rake under a maple growing beside his hay field somewhere in the middle of the last century when he had finally done all the farming he could do.
One With Wood

beenthere

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 29, 2008, 01:12:02 PM
The old implement is what is locally known as a jump rake.  A horse drawn implement used as beenthere describes. .........

Not sure why 'jump' would be locally picked as the name for 'dump'.  :) :)

But a search turns up 'dump rake' and not 'jump rake'.  And, sometimes translations get changed over time.

Mown hay was dragged across a field, until a foot pedal was stepped on, causing the curved tines holding the hay to raise up to dump the hay. Timed right, the hay would lay in a straight windrow for the loose hay loader to get it onto the wagon. I notice on the pic shown that there are metal fingers that keep the hay from raising up with the curved tines when dumped.

As a young lad, my brother and I would run one of these to get hay into windrows, but pulled by a tractor. Later we managed to get a side-delivery rake to do the job better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

The folks that populated this portion of the world at that time had a language all their own.  I suspect the term 'jump rake' came about for two reasons.  When the pedal was pushed to dump the hay the rake 'jumped'.  If the operator did not have the forsight to remove the tine directly behind the seat when the rake rose up that tine would smack the operator squarely in the derrier, causing the operator to 'jump'.

But then again, I could have just misunderstood the folks who told me it was a jump rake.  Mebbee they said dump rake and were usnig the aforementioned dialect.  :-\

I bet Faron could shed light on this dilemma.
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!