iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a new trim saw

Started by boss hoss, September 01, 2008, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss hoss

if a guy had $200-$300 to spend for a good rock solid lightweight trim saw-what brand should he consider?
IT TAKES TORQUE TO TACKLE TREES-DOES YOUR SAW HAVE A GEARBOX?

Rocky_J

I can't answer that for two reasons. First is that there is no correct answer, and the second is that you'll end up buying the cheap crap anyway. See the 'pole saw' thread for further explanation.

Good luck with your Poulan Wild Thang that you buy at Home Depot!  :)

rebocardo

I call a trim saw something that runs a 12-16" bar, more towards the 14" side.

$300 and rock solid = used Stihl or Husky.

You can buy a nice Stihl home owner saw for $300 that should last a while. For <$200 I think the MS-180C is one of the best deals for a small trimming saw. I really liked how mine cut. I don't know if I would link the term "rock solid" to it though.

sawguy21

Unfortunately, Rocky is right, there is no saw of that caliber in your price range. If you want top quality, you will need to spend extra coin to get it. Have a look at the Stihl MS200.
John Ruskin wrote over 150 years ago "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rocky_J

Another point is that if somebody has to ask which saw is the best, then they most likely don't have enough saw experience to be able to tell the difference anyway. BH, you'll be plenty happy with the Poulan and it's in your price range. By the time you figure out that it's junk, you'll know which saws are worthwhile and won't have to ask on the next one.
;)

jokers

Can`t a guy still get an ms250 for $300? I personally think this model is kind of unsung and under appreciated. probably be a "sale" going on them soon where you won`t really get anything off retail but you might get some extra swag.

Other than this suggestion I have to agree with Rocky and sawguy21, cheap and rock solid aren`t synonymous. rebocardo offers a good alternative by suggesting a used pro saw.

boss hoss

let me go a little farther here-and i should have the first time.
tractor supply has a small husky-light weight-for sale for $230 prox.
i can't tell you the model but it was  really-really light with a 16 inch bar.
to get any husky for that price is a deal-yes?
lemmeno.

Rocky_J

Yeah, they're all alike. No difference except the price, that's why everybody only buys the cheapest model.  :D 8)

boss hoss

ladylake

Echo CS440 off Ebay for a little over $200, most quality for the $ if you can find one anymore.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

boss hoss

THANKS STEVE-I'LL CHECK IT OUT!
THANKS AGAIN.

Al_Smith

No doubt a Stihl Ms 200T is the best . If you are using this size of a saw to make a living ,use the best .If you are just occassionaly needing a small saw,use what works .

If you want a cheapy and can repair them yourself  there are a zillion garage sale specials for under 50 bucks . If you can't turn a wrench on a saw,stay away from them .

Now ,I could throw a wrench in the gears and say a Poulan S-25 but most people would not have a clue what I was taking about because most weren't even born when this little gem was king of the hill on the climber saws . :)

SawTroll

Quote from: boss hoss on September 02, 2008, 09:42:31 PM
ATTITUDE??

LOL..... :)

The real problem is that the cheapest Huskys are made at the Poulan factory in the US, and they are not true Huskys.

Husky owns the Poulan factory, and lots of others around the world, but true Huskys are only made in Sweden and Brazil (older models, mostly not sold in Western Europe or in the US).
Information collector.

Greenskeeper

Boss
If you want to drive about an hour north I have two MS 200T.One is 9 or 10 years old the other is 3 years old,both are rock solid.$275.00 each.

boss hoss

cheyenne

poulan is owned by electrolux. More to the point find a good dealer to do business with you won't be sorry. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

zackman1801

if you look around a bit you might be able to find a decent used saw. they can be had for that much, or you can go and get a small stihl. can you define trim saw though? that can have a few different meanings, for me a trim saw might mean something different to the guy down the road. if i was going to buy a small saw for lawn work or brush destruction i would get a small stihl ms180 or the like. i saw one with a tag the other day for around $250 less maybe? 
i dont get why when people ask questions someone has to come in and totally destroy their thread with useless junk and start telling people that they dont have enough sense to know what saws are good and what arent. if you cant add to the thread, dont post simple as that.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

cheyenne

oops,sorry, husqvarna owns poulan i wonder if they bought out electolux or just poulan. I wonder how long before catapillar is  bought out by YUGO. Even BUD jumped ship. What ever happened to made in america. Cheyenne

Al_Smith

Quote from: cheyenne on September 03, 2008, 08:56:12 PM
oops,sorry, husqvarna owns poulan i wonder if they bought out electolux or just poulan. I wonder how long before catapillar is  bought out by YUGO. Even BUD jumped ship. What ever happened to made in america. Cheyenne
You can't tell the players without a score card ,so to speak .It gets real confusing at times .

In answer to the gents question though ,if you look around you might be able to land an older Stihl 020 T .The forerunner of the Ms 200 t .Pretty good old climber .A beech to work on but all top handles are .

sawguy21

Actually Electrolux already owned Husqvarna and Poulan. To get back to their core business of 'white goods' which is believe it or not commercial refrigeration equipment, they are huge in it in Europe, they spun Husqvarna off as a separate entity with it's own board and stock market listing. Elux holds the controlling interest.
Husqvarna now runs all the lawn, garden and forestry equipment divisions and is the largest such manufacturer in the world.They recently gobbled up Redmax, McCulloch USA (they now own it world wide) and Victa (Australia).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cheyenne

i punched up huskys web site & was amazed to see what they own jonesred,Maculloch,weedeater. It would be nice if they came out with a vacume cleaner that would suck the trees down, limb them up and stack them in cords.Cheyenne

jokers

Quote from: zackman1801 on September 03, 2008, 08:07:40 PM
i dont get why when people ask questions someone has to come in and totally destroy their thread with useless junk and start telling people that they dont have enough sense to know what saws are good and what arent. if you cant add to the thread, dont post simple as that.
Zack,

Your principal point that we should treat one another with respect is a good one but let me offer you and everyone else something to consider.

If every poster who may be brash or disagreeable at times gets banned or simply goes away on their own, who will provide the counterpoint to the guys who proclaim the homeowner saws "BEST" or who asks a question, gets a valid response or two to that specific question, and then apparently abritrarily and without supporting evidence for his position decides against the advice given by those with experience and knowledge, and proclaims that the box store equipment is just as good as the pro equipment that the OP then almost always and without fail tries to portary as overpriced and that only a shortsighted fool would buy? Furthermore, I know that I am neither singularly blessed in knowledge, intelligence, or experience, perhaps you are?......but I like to be able to research any product I am in the market for and I like to see the evidence supporting the sometimes varied viewpoints on a topic or product. I believe a corrolary exists that if a respondent to a post is expected to be civil and provide a basis for their opinion that all respondents, including the OP should be held to the same standard. Do you disagree?

Another nugget for your rumination.

Since the intent for a discussion forum is typically to provide a living resource, that is a resource which is built upon many inputs and is intended to be archived for future use by persons beyond those who were involved in the original discussion, can the resource be any more valuable and useful than the advertising on the outside of the Poulan box at Walmart if certain poster`s input is squelched because a person or two found their input unpopular or less than palatable? I personally believe that once a person posts a query, they have no further ownership of the thread beyond what they post and if someone replies with an opinion that they don`t care for, tough luck, because they did ask for opinions.

Al_Smith

It's all just opinions or options .

Best trim saw ,no doubt a 200 T ,fact is I have one . That should surprise a few people . :D I also have two Huskey 335's ,an Echo ,several Poulans and a few Mini Macs in case anybody cares . Not to mention 40 some other saws  of various colors makes and sizes .

Not everybody can afford to lay out 550 bucks for a 200 T . That's why there are other options .Then too not everybody can afford a Rolls-Royce either  which doesn't neccessarily  say that anything less is inferior junk . Ponder that thought .

SawTroll

Quote from: cheyenne on September 03, 2008, 07:53:49 PM
poulan is owned by electrolux. More to the point find a good dealer to do business with you won't be sorry. Cheyenne

No it isn't, it is owned by Husky......... ;)
Information collector.

cheyenne

supposidley electrolux owns husky but then again who knows.

beenthere

Al
Pretty good point, but... ;D ;D

when I pondered that thought, I kinda mentally compare the Stihl and Husky line to the cheaper ones, about like I would compare the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy to the Yugo.   ;D ;D

I don't think of my Stihl as a Rolls Royce....but maybe I'm not thinking high enough.  :) :) :)

Still, a good point. Different strokes for different folks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

A good saw for ± 300$ , I would go with the ms180 or the ms250 I sure would not ever get another poulan , I bought one only to see what they could do , sure aint alot . That being said I have a MS250 and it is a good little saw . Now I aint saying its the best one to go out and buy, but it can hold its own for a trim saw .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

cheyenne

I ponder if the mfg's make thier low end saws because we are a throw away socity. We all realize there is a differance between the occational user and the person who makes a living cutting trees. What i have found with low end saws and i have a few is that i spend more time fixing them than there worth. I can't get parts & my dealer won't touch them & there all plastic but today what isn't. With shop rates where they are today fixing a low end saw cost as much as another saw. So maybe the mfg's have it all figured out! It'a a numbers game. Just pondering Cheyenne

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 04, 2008, 04:13:27 PM
It's all just opinions or options .

Best trim saw ,no doubt a 200 T ,fact is I have one . That should surprise a few people . :D I also have two Huskey 335's ,an Echo ,several Poulans and a few Mini Macs in case anybody cares . Not to mention 40 some other saws  of various colors makes and sizes .

Not everybody can afford to lay out 550 bucks for a 200 T . That's why there are other options .Then too not everybody can afford a Rolls-Royce either  which doesn't neccessarily  say that anything less is inferior junk . Ponder that thought .
There is nothing to ponder in your thought Al, the examples you have given are too disparate and don`t relate since Rolls Royces are built for and marketed to the .00000001% of those in the world who can afford the luxury and prestige without a commensurate increase in performance or reliability as there is when comparing the flagship Stihls, Huskies, and Dolmars to lesser brands like modern Poulans and McCullochs. If this increase in performance and reliability between brands of saw doesn`t exist, why did you lay out the money for the 200T and what qualities of the 200T compel you to proclaim it "Best trim saw, no doubt"?

If a person purports or alludes to being a professional and thus subjecting their equipment to professional demands the non-pro equipment isn`t going to pass muster. If it would, the market would support substantial price increases for the Poulans, Homelites, and McCullochs of the world. It doesn`t.

Al_Smith

Quote from: jokers on September 05, 2008, 02:02:05 PM
  . If this increase in performance and reliability between brands of saw doesn`t exist, why did you lay out the money for the 200T and what qualities of the 200T compel you to proclaim it "Best trim saw, no doubt"?

Who said I laid any money out for it ? :D

You are missing the point entirely . The guy I thought wanted an inexpensive little saw .I don't know if he wants to prune the apple tree in the back yard or trim trees for a living .

Obviously if the guy wanted a the best he would by the 200T .makes sense to me .On the other hand Russ you are the only person I know that buys a new saw about the time the thing needs a sprocket .Which is fine and dandy but not just everybody has the option to lay out several thou a year on such things .

Now here's an example that might get closer to the point .In my shop I have a Monarch 10" EE toolmakers lathe .The absolute finest machine of it's kind ever produced . I don't downgrade somebody that can't afford one and may only have a little inexpensive Smithy lathe /mill/ drill combo . . option and alternatives . :)

SawTroll

Quote from: cheyenne on September 04, 2008, 05:22:18 PM
supposidley electrolux owns husky but then again who knows.

That was true from about 1978 to 2006, but is history by now.
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2008, 03:49:48 PM
Quote from: jokers on September 05, 2008, 02:02:05 PM
  . If this increase in performance and reliability between brands of saw doesn`t exist, why did you lay out the money for the 200T and what qualities of the 200T compel you to proclaim it "Best trim saw, no doubt"?

Who said I laid any money out for it ? :D

You are missing the point entirely . The guy I thought wanted an inexpensive little saw .I don't know if he wants to prune the apple tree in the back yard or trim trees for a living .

Obviously if the guy wanted a the best he would by the 200T .makes sense to me .On the other hand Russ you are the only person I know that buys a new saw about the time the thing needs a sprocket .Which is fine and dandy but not just everybody has the option to lay out several thou a year on such things .

Now here's an example that might get closer to the point .In my shop I have a Monarch 10" EE toolmakers lathe .The absolute finest machine of it's kind ever produced . I don't downgrade somebody that can't afford one and may only have a little inexpensive Smithy lathe /mill/ drill combo . . option and alternatives . :)

Al,

I`m not downgrading anyone, to use your term, for choosing a cheaper saw and I have recommended to people who simply want to prune their yard trees that they buy a cheap saw. The original poster asked for advice on a rock solid $200 - 300 saw. Poulan territory this isn`t. Rock solid and Poulan are polar opposites. Look at his first post, the info is right there.

BTW, I don`t have a Smithy, you must be thinking of someone else. Machine tools aren`t my gig but I do have some mighty fine but now aging welding equipment.

Another thing Al, what makes you think that I buy all those saws? But what if I did? I`ll put a sizeable paycheck down that any one of my saws sees more action than what`s in your stable, but I don`t see how this relates to Boss Hoss` question?

Al_Smith

Quote from: jokers on September 05, 2008, 09:03:07 PM

Al,

BTW, I don`t have a Smithy, you must be thinking of someone else. Machine tools aren`t my gig but I do have some mighty fine but now aging welding equipment.

Another thing Al, what makes you think that I buy all those saws? But what if I did? I`ll put a sizeable paycheck down that any one of my saws sees more action than what`s in your stable, but I don`t see how this relates to Boss Hoss` question?
Well Russ ,just how much was that wager you want to lose .Very kind of you to contribute to the fund for under employed electrians of which I'm the sole recipriant.

Now was that hours ran,trees climbed ,board feet ,cords of firewood .Pick your poison .I accept  checks but no paypal . 8)

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2008, 09:22:35 PM
Quote from: jokers on September 05, 2008, 09:03:07 PM

Al,

Well Russ ,just how much was that wager you want to lose .Very kind of you to contribute to the fund for under employed electrians of which I'm the sole recipriant.

Now was that hours ran,trees climbed ,board feet ,cords of firewood .Pick your poison .I accept  checks but no paypal . 8)

Al,

I`ve replied to you privately as directed by the site admins.

Thank You Sponsors!